17 HMR

sapper063

Keep your .22 for the bunnies and save up for a while longer for a centrefire fox rifle :angry:

Don't know about your shooting history, I've injured one fox with a rimfire and he got away. It is not a good feeling.

Apologies if you already know that, but if not, learn from other peoples mistakes :yes:

People who're advising you to go the centrefire route aren't being unhelpful or anything, but it's the most effective and humane tool for the job :yes:

Keep your .22 for the bunnies and save up for a while longer for a centrefire fox rifle :yes:

Don't know about your shooting history, I've injured one fox with a rimfire and he got away. It is not a good feeling.

Apologies if you already know that, but if not, learn from other peoples mistakes :hmm:

People who're advising you to go the centrefire route aren't being unhelpful or anything, but it's the most effective and humane tool for the job :yes:

Great advice John. :angry:

If you haven't already got the gun, my suggestion is don't! I've shot Fox with my HMR. I've killed a few too, out to 80 yards or so. Recently though, I've had a couple of runners. The first made me feel terrible, it was at fairly long range but not the longest I've taken. Then I hit another which was much closer and it still got away. Now I'm really losing faith in it! The gun is going as it doesn't do what I want it to. I'm going for a .22 Hornet.

What is your shooting background? How keen are you? If you'd be prepared to spend a bit on some basic reloading kit and spend an hour or so a month making your own ammo you could get some wonderful loads from a Hornet. It's not hugely powerful like the bigger .22s (.223, .22-250 etc) but has a lot more in it than a .17HMR. If you buy factory the ammo is expensive, or more so than a rimfire anyway. I pay 25p per load for HMR. Hornet is likely to be around 75ppl for average factory stuff. With a basic press and a bit of patience you can load good loads for 20ppl. Cheaper than HMR!

A Hornet will take Rabbits and Fox out to 200 yards easily. Because it's not massively powerful your firearms team should respect you for not pushing your luck. It's basically the least powerful centrefire you can get, and a reasonable step to take from a rimmy :good:

It's a shame that there are so many variables regarding fox conditioning.

Some force areas will give a verbal "if out hunting rabbit, a close fox opportunity occurs". Some rural areas condition rimfire for fox, some only condition Centre fire.

I have had a discussion this morning with the FEO that cleared a permission for my original ticket. It's about 120 acres but unfortunately spread across two roads that leaves it in about 60 acre, 50 acre and 10 acre sizes. The size of land that Leicestershire specifies for C/F is "substantially over 60 acres"

He's sympathetic about the farmer wanting me to deal with his fox problem as he keeps some geese, accepts there are isolated areas a safe shot could be taken, incuding elevated shots from hay bale stacks, but his dep't has zero tolerance on the marginal size.

Hi,

my suggestion would be a 17mkiv or the commercial equivalent (factory round and rifle) 17 remington fireball. Most efficient small calibre on the market. If you are a reloader you an make brass easily from a 221 fireball pistol case using standard 3 die set. I use a mild load that generates 3800fps for sub 1/2 inch groups at 100 metres with a 25 grain projectile. A friend of mine has one shooting 20 grain remington projectile using N130 generating 4200fps with sub inch groups. The yanks are using them with vld 25 grain projectils out to 400 metres on ground hogs. No fox walks away from this cartridge.

Image - mach IV and 223

Cheers :good:

post-15153-1232416881.jpg

what range can i get out of a 17hmr i have a cz 22lr which has not got the range for for foxes over 60 mtrs and im finding i need extra range and also how much are the rounds thank you

I havnt bought any yet but read in the ads there is a 20grn .17hmr round, this imo would be the better route to take for occasional fox, personally I would not set out for fox with the .17 but have taken them when encountered whilst bunny bashing.

I have to agree with john,s and general opinion, CF is the only cal to use.

Rgds D2D

you would think so D2D but the 20 grain has a small hp and in practice it goes straight through things as its very small and very fast so doesn't leave that big a wound channel or impart as much energy to the fox. I've had a few go straight through the chest cavity and exit through the shoulder blade the other side. What you get is a fox that acts like a shot deer it can run for a distance before going down. Ok both lungs have a hole and it will die pretty fast but not that quick. On the other hand the V max rounds stay in the body usually and so the fox receives all the energy from the round and usually has a better result with more damage

I like hitting them with my .223, or better still the 6.5x55. That learns 'em good! Never had a runner yet with those calibres, they just drop (or splat and drop with the 6.5) :lol:

So do I but we are talking about the times when out after Bugs with the .17hmr and along comes our friend Charlie.

Rgds D2D

I know, it just made me smile to myself and I had to share the thought! :lol::lol:

I still stick by my opinion that the HMR is no better than a .22lr for Fox. The bullet is just too light for anything but very close range. I feel quite strongly about it since I've had some runners. It really bothers me when I hurt something, and I feel there is too much luck involved in the Fox/HMR suitability.

A hornet, looking at the ballistic info, seems to be the obvious choice. A .223 is good on bunnies, but it costs a lot to run and is only good if you don't want to eat them.

Edited by njc110381

Guest topshot_2k
I know, it just made me smile to myself and I had to share the thought! :lol::lol:

I still stick by my opinion that the HMR is no better than a .22lr for Fox. The bullet is just too light for anything but very close range. I feel quite strongly about it since I've had some runners. It really bothers me when I hurt something, and I feel there is too much luck involved in the Fox/HMR suitability.

A hornet, looking at the ballistic info, seems to be the obvious choice. A .223 is good on bunnies, but it costs a lot to run and is only good if you don't want to eat them.

Chest shot under 100yards and it is wont be going anywhere :lol::lol: