Bayonets

rsrjerry

Hi

does anyone on here know anything about old bayonets ?

reason i ask is mate has got 3 , he has been clearing out his father in laws house as he has to go into a home and found these bayonets but does not know anything about them ??

can they be sold ? are they legal ? or do they have to be handed in to the police ??

the wording on one of them is something like d'armes de st etinne mai 1879 another same wording but 1878 ?

anybody help ?

cheers jerry

I used to have some of these

german%20issue%201866%20chassepot.jpg

They're French Chassepot bayonets and had a similar inscription, usually along the back (thick) edge of the blade.

They're not illegal or anything. I flogged mine on Ebay, got about £30-£40 each for them, though they had the scabbard as well, like the one in the photo. If they've got straight blades, instead of these curved ones, they might be rarer, but these curved blade ones are quite common(ish) :D

Edited by Chard

have got them off my mate now to take photos of and post , thanks to all the posts/replys/help

and they will be for sale if anyone knows anyone who may be interested ?- 2 are the french ones and there is one turkish i think ? no scabbard . and there is a dagger - bone handle maybe ? anyway will get mrs to take some photos and post them up

I've got an old bayonet rescued from a builder who found it buried in a rag in foundations of an old house which him/my dad was renovating. Looks like those above but the handle protector thingy is square- one part is a loop to help fix it l suppose - other is not swirly, it has a wooden handle and has a clip part on the base of the handle. only problem is is that the builder used it as a chisel for a couple of hours so its been knackered on the base of the handle....think it has 1907 on it l seem to remember??

T

I've got an old bayonet rescued from a builder who found it buried in a rag in foundations of an old house which him/my dad was renovating. Looks like those above but the handle protector thingy is square- one part is a loop to help fix it l suppose - other is not swirly, it has a wooden handle and has a clip part on the base of the handle. only problem is is that the builder used it as a chisel for a couple of hours so its been knackered on the base of the handle....think it has 1907 on it l seem to remember??

T

That sounds like the standard issue British army bayonet as fitted to the SMLE and used during WW1 - I used to have one

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-weapons/bayonets.htm