Given a Gun?

libs

Hi all. I am due to go to the family in sussex next weekend and will finally (4 months after getting my ticket) be 'given' my grandads old shotgun. I have no experience of the transfere process and have no idea who does what. I will of course ring the team tomorow to ask how to do it, but I would be really thankful of anyones advice. I am 16 so I can leagally be gifted a shotgun but cannot buy one. This explains the long time with no guns!

Thanks

Luke.

Print off this form, don't worry about it being Suffolk police, just strike the force address through and write your own forces address in, then fill in the details on this and your certificate and send this form off to your local firearms department within 7 days by registered post :blink: all very easy really

http://www.suffolk.police.uk/NR/rdonlyres/...otification.pdf

Scribble the details of the gun onto your ticket(EDIT: My mistake. Get the seller/or giver to write on your ticket). It will all be explanatory. If you can't find the gun's serial number, it'll most likely be under the barrel opening lever.

Email or ring your licensing department to let them know you've got it and the same should be done from the side giving you it.

Go and get some lessons and advice before you start running around with it, or you might seriously hurt or kill someone. I'm not trying to sound patronising, but you'll really want to get out there and use it, but you have to walk before you can run. I got lessons when I got my first gun and I don't regret doing it one bit.

Edited by harfordwmj

Hi all. I am due to go to the family in sussex next weekend and will finally (4 months after getting my ticket) be 'given' my grandads old shotgun. I have no experience of the transfere process and have no idea who does what. I will of course ring the team tomorow to ask how to do it, but I would be really thankful of anyones advice. I am 16 so I can leagally be gifted a shotgun but cannot buy one. This explains the long time with no guns!

Thanks

Luke.

Do NOT write on your own ticket !!!

The person giving you the gun (The gun should be on a ticket) should fill out your table two You should inform your FLO

O yes and another thing if its old make sure its Nitro proofed before you bang nitro cartridges in it

And make sure the chamber size is right for the cartridges you use

What gun is it ?

You must be Very proud indeed

Wabbit

It says on my forces points to assist form that you must inform them in writing within 7 days of any sale or transfer, it also says that your certificate is an official document and you musyt never write on your pown certificate or seperate the two pages
A point of law here it said in the act WRITE NOT EMAIL tHEN SEND IT REGISTERED POST as has been said before

the act is the act and no matter what stick to its word

Edited by winchester

:blink: as i said it's easy, have a spare copy or two of that form in case of mistakes, follow the instructions, things like this;

His/her certificate or Dealer certificate No..…….

Issued by ...................................................Police

who completed the appropriate table of my

certificate (Table 1 in respect of firearm certificates & Table

2 in respect of shotgun certificates).

Do the form before your certificate, read it all through first :good:

I shot my first snipe on Saturday, with a shotgun given to me from my wifes side of the family, a 1940's heirloom, cracking shot at 35 yards, enjoy yours :good:

West Midlands police require you to send a letter by registered post. I did ask about dropping it in as I work near to the Police Headquarters but the FEO said Registered Post was best as it meant there would be a record that the letter was sent in case of dispute.

I guess different forces have different standards, so best to check which your local force require.

Rhiannon

Aye, best double check. :blink:

Your area may have a FAQ page on the firearms section.

http://www.met.police.uk/firearms_licensing/faqs.html

10th paragraph up from the bottom is the pertinent bit for this subject. Though it contradicts itself by saying that nofications must be made in writing, and then the next sentence says that they accept email and fax notifications. For peace of mind I called them when I changed my gun last year and they confirmed that my email had been received and my records updated accordingly.

Edited by Peter De La Mare

Herts allow e-mail however I always ask them for confirmation of receipt and so far they have been very good.

With the old system they were quite used to finding you had more guns when they visited than they had on their records, as quite simply the police admin system is **** poor. Generally if its written on your ticket and you have evidence of having informed them then all is fine. Its only if you're a naughty boy that they start looking for issues that could give them reason to revoke etc

Herts allow e-mail however I always ask them for confirmation of receipt and so far they have been very good.

With the old system they were quite used to finding you had more guns when they visited than they had on their records, as quite simply the police admin system is **** poor. Generally if its written on your ticket and you have evidence of having informed them then all is fine. Its only if you're a naughty boy that they start looking for issues that could give them reason to revoke etc

Hearts are really handy like that. Luckily they moved to the Harpenden police station about a month ago, which means they're a two minute walk from my house :blink:

Hearts are really handy like that. Luckily they moved to the Harpenden police station about a month ago, which means they're a two minute walk from my house B)

I thaught theyed moved from Gosling to Hatfield, near the Galleria? Looks like a pretty swanky building theyve got over there too!

Edited by charliebrown

I thaught theyed moved from Gosling to welwyn? Looks like a pretty swanky building theyve got over there too!

I think they still have an office there, but it's all controlled from Harpenden apparently. I popped in last week to hand my variation in and met the woman who deals with it

Where abouts in Herts are you from? Do you shoot locally?

Edited by harfordwmj

Thanks for all the adivce. I spoke to the team today and they basically repeated all that was said on here. I will send the form from paul+suffolk police registerd post ASAP after I get the gun, will also ring a few days later to check all is OK. As for proofing/chamber length thats all norm, 67mm and nitro stamped so I have been told. Will still run it to an RFD to have a quick check over as it hasn't been fired for some years.

B) thanks again!

Just down the road from you, Near the OAs ground, sandridge side. Shooting wise air rifles in the back garden at the moment, but hoping to have some more free time this year to get some bunny bashing in when I can find a permission or two. Fishing seems to take over most of the odd day I get off at the moment though!

Wasnt a lady called Kate you met was it?

Edited by charliebrown

Just down the road from you, Near the OAs ground, sandridge side. Shooting wise air rifles in the back garden at the moment, but hoping to have some more free time this year to get some bunny bashing in when I can find a permission or two. Fishing seems to take over most of the odd day I get off at the moment though!

Wasnt a lady called Kate you met was it?

I spoke to her a couple of times on the phone. Mary usually does my ticket (just got it back off her, after getting another .17HMR another .22lr and a .270 added :good::D:no: )

That Kate sounds like a knowledgeable, nice girl. There's a new fella working there too and he knows F all about anything.

Let me know how the permission hunt goes and I'll be willing to take you out shooting if you need any guidance etc. There's a couple of people on here who I shoot with and we all live locally.

Edited by harfordwmj

I spoke to her a couple of times on the phone. Mary usually does my ticket (just got it back off her, after getting another .17HMR another .22lr and a .270 added :good::D:no: )

That Kate sounds like a knowledgeable, nice girl. There's a new fella working there too and he knows F all about anything.

Let me know how the permission hunt goes and I'll be willing to take you out shooting if you need any guidance etc. There's a couple of people on here who I shoot with and we all live locally.

I went to School with her brother and played rugby with her fiance, and yup shes a nice girl, and you sound like a gentleman and scholar. Thanks for the offer, and ill let you know how the hunt goes!