pigeon magnet

RYAN 2

I have no variable speed facility on my rotary device, its as fast, or slow, as when it left the factory.

With my hand on my heart, I can say that I haven't noticed speed, to be a factor in its effectiveness.

In my opinion, forget it, its just something else to have to have to worry about. :lol:

This is my first time on this forum, having just surfed in, plus the fact some sixty years have pasted since I first tied my newly acquired double barreled 12 bore on the side of my old bike and headed for Black Hearn wood near Docking north Norfolk on a pigeon shooting trip, But that's a whole story on its own, My question is, What on earth is a "Pigeon Magnet"???other than its some form of decoy. I can visualise some massive electrical device out of Star Trek, which has developed a technique for trapping the pigeon whenever the bird come within its range, however please excuse my attempt at humour and bare in mind I have been in Canada this last 49 years, and completely out of contact with pigeon shooting.

Best regards,

Feather.

My question is, What on earth is a "Pigeon Magnet":lol:

Feather firstly welcome to the forum, that's another one from Canada then. :(

The Magnet is actually a spindle with 2 arms on it and a dead bird on the ends of them set out as if they are flying. The spindle is often powered by a car windscreen wiper motor connected to a battery and revolves to give the impression of 2 pigeons flying round in a circle.

The correct name is a "rotary device" or "rotor" and "Magnet" is a trade name of one of the first popular models. It's a bit like everyone calling a vacuum cleaner a "Hoover".

Hope this helps explain it. ;)

Its worth noting that the "Magnet" should not be viewed as required all the time when decoying pigeon. For my part i only use a magnet on certain crops (i.e. laid crops etc).

Also i was using my rotary device this weekend and the sun was lighting the two arms and making them flash - thus scaring the pigeons away!!

Also i was using my rotary device this weekend and the sun was lighting the two arms and making them flash - thus scaring the pigeons away!!

get to a model/hobby shop and buy a tin of flair spectrum paint " matt olive drab"

it wont "flash" again

cheers Keith

What you need Mallinson is some of this camo material. Rubber coated camo tent material 100% water proof. Brilliant martial

Picture is not very good due taken in garage. This batch was on its way to Iraq via my garage :rolleyes:

newfolder037.jpg

I went to a loacl car spares paint supplier and asked them to mix me a tin of matt green (nato) spray paint. Cost a tenner but enough to spray poles, magnet, floaters, battery etc. Note however than at times, i.e. over drill, green itself can look out of place! Time to contact Will Beasley and buy a second set to spray light brown! :rolleyes: