Roost Shooting

pavman

I received a call from one of my farmers to see if I could turn out for a Roost shoot sat so they could cover as many woods and spinnys as poss, But England are playing in the Six nations I said,,, and I will be out on Rabbits tonight,,, well can you tape it we really need to knock a few off and 3 other local land owners are doing the same to keep them on the move, so I dutifully attended :good:

Now as expected, over the phone I was given a small wood on my own whilst the landed gentry and selected friends got the hot spots, in all we should have been around 10 guns. I did not take my lofting pole as I wanted to get on the bunnies as soon as poss after the shoot and also I did not want a late night,

Got to my wood at 3pm and could already hear shots, my spot was quite so I sat and had a cuppa and watched the flight lines, As birds drifted over my farmers wood they where blasting at birds way above the trees without giving them a chance to circle and then come in

:hmm:

Most of the overspill went over to a big wood from where I could hear no shots :good: and so it continued I watched as 100’s of birds took safe refuge in the biggest wood, I dispatched the 3 birds that did venture my way knowing I had been put there to keep things moving for others, at 5:30 I left on seeing no more birds moving and quickly sorted 4 bunnies then drifted home.

Called farmer in the morning to see what had happened and they had only shot 2 birds in his wood :good: but you must have had 50 shots I said, yep they were too high,

who was meant to be in the big wood I asked that’s where they all went, err yep the owner should have been there with his son but they went down the pub to watch the Rugby and got delayed ;)

I received a call from one of my farmers to see if I could turn out for a Roost shoot sat so they could cover as many woods and spinnys as poss, But England are playing in the Six nations I said,,, and I will be out on Rabbits tonight,,, well can you tape it we really need to knock a few off and 3 other local land owners are doing the same to keep them on the move, so I dutifully attended :good:

Now as expected, over the phone I was given a small wood on my own whilst the landed gentry and selected friends got the hot spots, in all we should have been around 10 guns. I did not take my lofting pole as I wanted to get on the bunnies as soon as poss after the shoot and also I did not want a late night,

Got to my wood at 3pm and could already hear shots, my spot was quite so I sat and had a cuppa and watched the flight lines, As birds drifted over my farmers wood they where blasting at birds way above the trees without giving them a chance to circle and then come in

:hmm:

Most of the overspill went over to a big wood from where I could hear no shots :good: and so it continued I watched as 100’s of birds took safe refuge in the biggest wood, I dispatched the 3 birds that did venture my way knowing I had been put there to keep things moving for others, at 5:30 I left on seeing no more birds moving and quickly sorted 4 bunnies then drifted home.

Called farmer in the morning to see what had happened and they had only shot 2 birds in his wood :good: but you must have had 50 shots I said, yep they were too high,

who was meant to be in the big wood I asked that’s where they all went, err yep the owner should have been there with his son but they went down the pub to watch the Rugby and got delayed ;)

There was no wind so it was expected they would fly high......I counteracted this and took the 10 out to give it a run, Ended up with 19.

No wind where I was......

I find that hard to believe Robbie, Simon told me on site you are known as the Curry Kid :good:

Anyways wind is helpful but not the bee all, if you have guns to take them and others keep them on the move when they try to settle its job done, no wind or no guns allows them to roost undisturbed, in my case the guns stayed down the pub and not as agreed banging away in the best wood :good:

Edited by pavman

I was one of the few out in my part of North Norfolk , but despite a stiff north wind there were few pigeons about and ended with 6 and a crow. Pigeons are still very scarce in my area. I went decoying on a strip of maze on sunday and between a friend and I we had 15 for a whole days work. And to cap it all I got the car stuck and had to get the farm tractor out to extract it.