so frustrating in the south

I live right on the borders of surrey/west sussex/hampshire. Used to belong to a woodpigeon club providing the usual and was out every weekend. Great times. Some years later, kids grown up, really want to get back into it again. Club now defunct. So have spent the last 6 weekends driving through the counties trying to find some shooting. Many of the farms I used to shoot on have been bought by the nouvea riche. No crops, but they do have a BMW 4x4 in the drive for when it rains, a trampoline in the field and 5 sheep! For the other farms, I have sent out countless letters, knocked on many doors and the usual reply " we already have shooters". Except there is no-one in earshot and the pigeons are having a field day! Whats hugely frustrating is most of the land around here now is run by a syndicate of farmers. So you see 1500 to 3000 birds hitting the rape. It then takes an MI5 skill to find the farmer, sometimes up to 30 miles away, and then to be told that they already have arrangements in place but there is never anyone in attendance! All week, I have watched a field of rape with I would guess 2-3000 birds on it, flitting between the rape and an old cover crop. After a 2 hour drive round, I eventually found the tenant farmer. He was tearing his hair out as the birds were decimating his crop but couldn't offer me the shooting as a game syndicate had it and they liked to pop down and shoot a few pigeon. He said ten of them where out last weekend and had 3 birds!!! Merchant bankers no doubt!

Will keep on plugging away, but in the meantime, good luck to all of you having the same experience. To those of you that do have good shooting, keep the posts up, it gives us aspirations and a good read.

Whilst i haven`t had any problems gaining permission to get land i have found that on first approach it`s usually a case of ah yes but we have someone or oh yes but we have lots on the books but they don`t turn up which spoils it for guys like you that have the commitment. the biggest hook i have found is "i will be shooting during the week, i like to spend time with my family at the weekend, but if you need me to come i`m sure it can be arranged". I know this is very difficult for most but this was the only thing that got me in. Visited 3 farms got permission on 3 farms, the bonus was that as a reward for weekday shooting i had first refusal on weekends if i wanted them.

If you are really lucky you can appeal to the farmers better nature to let you have a small section of his land and go from there, ask if he would be willing to trial you on say 1 field or something, from small acorns and all that. Ask him for that 1 field you have seen getting hammered as your trial field.

Not fantastic advice, if you were closer to kent you could come out with me just to get you started and give you something to do.

same with me last year went to a farm close to me (ideal really 5 mins down the rd) got knocked back as he had someone already went there last week and said he never saw the guy last year and would call me if he gets a prob with the pigeons.....

Better then a knock back

Seems to be the same down my way..... got back into shooting last year after a long lay off and can't find a farm to shoot on, same old story ' got someone who shoots, but don't see much of him ' or ' a sydicate has the shooting rights '. But what is happening is alot of shooting is being given and no one turns up , so the farmer get's the hump and treats all shooters the same. :welcomeani:

The farm i used to shoot on years ago was happy with my being able to turn up as and when needed ( i was shiftwork then ) plus all the tree clearance and fence repair work i did for him... so i had free reign over when i went.

But then i moved down to here and it's a differen't ball game.

Although i could fit in a weekday now, it might not be like that for long.... so i can't offer a round the clock service that many want.

Ideally i would share the shooting with another shooter, and between us we could cover most days.

If i'm lucky i get the odd day with a mate who's part of a game shoot.... now that the seasons finished i get a couple of hours of shooting pigeons going to roost... but they a few and far between.

Keep trying and hope for a break i suppose. :o

Dave :o

Thanks for your very kind offer Warlock. I am lucky in that I am self employed and therefore can use the "I can be there in the week" line, but as yet that seems not to work. Just turned 50, can speak the queens english, have been shooting all my life, 8 years of which was intensive crop protection, polite and hopefully perceived as respectable and responsible doesn't seem to do it. I truly think that a lot of the farmers (as said above) are sick and tired of pigeon shooters who are noisy enough to blag the shooting in the first instance and then become such a pain in the preverbial that they would rather say no than to risk being saddled with another herbert. I certainly can't blame them for that either, I would be the same. Reading other posts here about carcasses being left behind confirms there are very different attitudes out there.

Edited by turbo33

Well I have just soent the day going door to door down here and have been knocked back so oftern I am feeling like a shot glass! HAve told by one guy he doesnt have a rabbit problem, despite the fact I could see a load in one of his fields. When I asked if the land belonged to him was told, yes I said what about the rabbits and he looked me in the eye and said "what rabbits". ope next weekend brings more luck!

In the last few weeks ive p.m.nd 2 members of this site who have complained about having nowhere to shoot in the south(bucks in this case) to invite them to share my shooting land with me as i am looking for a partner.I have plenty of land scattered around and far too much to ever hope of covering by myself.Guess what?-not one reply from either of them-not even an up-yours!Im not asking for money or transport or any input other than company on each outing-i dont know why i bothered. :yp:

i was the same, made an offer for the Kent area but no one sent me a PM, i have well over 2300 acres, asked for another rifle shooter... nothing, asked for a shotgun shooter... nothing even asked for a ferret guy to help flush... nothing. Either i smell or no ****** lives in Kent.

In the last few weeks ive p.m.nd 2 members of this site who have complained about having nowhere to shoot in the south(bucks in this case) to invite them to share my shooting land with me as i am looking for a partner.I have plenty of land scattered around and far too much to ever hope of covering by myself.Guess what?-not one reply from either of them-not even an up-yours!Im not asking for money or transport or any input other than company on each outing-i dont know why i bothered. :yp:

i was the same, made an offer for the Kent area but no one sent me a PM, i have well over 2300 acres, asked for another rifle shooter... nothing, asked for a shotgun shooter... nothing even asked for a ferret guy to help flush... nothing. Either i smell or no ****** lives in Kent.

Please don't be disheartened - your generous offer is just what some are looking for!! I'm based in SW london but I've got a motor. I'd gladly take you up on a bit of shooting (if you'd be willing to put up with a newbie - I'm a fast learner, with fair shooting experience) but sadly, the timing is up **** creek for me at the moment as:

1) Although i have got my SGC, i need to meet with my FEO regarding him checking a lock on a door before I can store a gun at home (this should be sorted in the next week). The deposit is down on the gun, and i can't bleeding wait to get it!

2) I have important medical school exams coming up in 8 weeks - which i need to do some serious work for

So, I reckon there must be people reading this, spitting out their tea, who haven't got any timing issues and who are willing to give their left nut for your generous offers. If not, PM me in a couple of months and I'll still be jumping at the chance!

Hi Marc (Turbo33)

Fingers crossed mate, Had a good meeting with the farmer today (Lunch time) with 450 acres of land he has four fields with Mustard crops and the rest of the fields are a mix bag, he has three other fields around 40 acres each being ploughed today and this week ready for seeding...!

Don't want to give to much info here.

Well I gave him a copy of my drafted letter and said that we could cover his crops during the week also at some stage to be worked out between us, you, me & john which he was pleased with and of course week ends.

He is going to speak with the land owner as he does not own the land but has rights to have people shooting he was let down before as no one would turn up, they must be mugs its a great bit of land and plenty of Wood pigeon etc.

I have taken a quick video of it and the pigeons today, may be a little hard to see but you will make them out.

Type into you tube: (pigeons feeding on mustard) Bang.

will keep you posted.

keep trying mate.

Speak later

lee

• 4 weeks later...

How did I miss this? Warlock I'll PM you if the offer is still open. We have air rifles and shotties. mostly go for the thumpers but to be honest a chance to go out anywhere during the day would be refreshing. Can't believe you haven't had a queue a mile long for the chance.

Have you thought about joining a wildfowling club? The Langstone Wildfowlers is about 25 miles down the road from you and has lots of shooting available. Have a look at their website and PM me if you`re interested. I have to say that the web site needs updating and makes no mention of the recently acquired 300 acres of year round rough shooting.

Although wildfowling may not be exactly what you`re looking for, joining a club is a great way to "network" yourself amongst a group of helpful, like minded individuals.

What have you got to lose by checking it out?

Don'tknow if i want to tell everyone how good your offer is or the vast acres of land you have available :balloon:

I might not be able to get a place again !

Top offer from a genuine bloke ...... and i hope no one else wants to go.

Me, i'll be in touch as soon as i can to arrange a return trip.

Thanks again Andrew , really enjoyed the day :birthday:

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Dont despair turbo33 i live not too far from you,Church Crookham infact,and have some excellent shooting locally,especially crows,2 of us shoot the land 600 acres.It will soon be time to control the young crows,and we will be looking for experienced guns to help make a dent in the population,we have a couple of mates who help us out at this time of year,but if your interested im sure we can sort something out,maybe we could arrange to go clay shooting to see how we get on?do u shoot gib bks near blackbushe?and i have enough crow decoying kit to lend you if needed? please let me know if your interested,last year five guns shooting averaging a bag of 70-80 crows pd,so some cracking shooting 2 be had,let me know asap as the black stuff will soon be in large numbers :good:

Sorry,wrong info when i said 70-80 birds for 5 guns this was for each of the 5 guns shooting,some serious black stuff around here,and i also failed to mention i work shifts 4-days on 4-days off so im not limited to weekends,look forward to hearing from you..rabbits and pigeon good too!!!! :good:

Dont despair turbo33 i live not too far from you,Church Crookham infact,and have some excellent shooting locally,especially crows,2 of us shoot the land 600 acres.It will soon be time to control the young crows,and we will be looking for experienced guns to help make a dent in the population,we have a couple of mates who help us out at this time of year,but if your interested im sure we can sort something out,maybe we could arrange to go clay shooting to see how we get on?do u shoot gib bks near blackbushe?and i have enough crow decoying kit to lend you if needed? please let me know if your interested,last year five guns shooting averaging a bag of 70-80 crows pd,so some cracking shooting 2 be had,let me know asap as the black stuff will soon be in large numbers :good:

What a generous offer! Top bloke ;)

Edited by Blunderbuss