Woodpigeon and feral cross

ferretmanabu

I shot a pigeon on Saturday but it had a whitish body with black bands on the wings. It was around the Birmingham area where I have noticed that there are flocks of these birds. They seem to fly around together like woodpigeons. Has anyone else come across these? I wanted to know whether these are suitable for human consumption or whether they need to be treated like ferals.

You will find that the stocky dove does slightly resemble the wood pigeon, only it is a tad smaller, and doesnt have the white band around the neck, or indeed the white wing bars. You will find that the stocky's are 'bull' eyed (very dark all over) as apposed to opaque, as mature woodies are. The whattle upon examiniation, is also quite different.

I have heard of stock doves and other breeds of pigeons hybridizing, but I dont think woodies would mix.

Although once on the vermin list stockies are now a protected species.

Paul in North Lincs

Edited by Paul in North Lincs.

I've looked at pictures of the stock dove and the rock dove on www.birdcheck.co.uk and there is no way the pigeon I shot is one of them (if the picture on http://www.birdcheck.co.uk/frame.htm is correct).

This pigeon had an almost white body with darker wings and black bands on them. The neck had some green on it.

I've looked at pictures of the stock dove and the rock dove on www.birdcheck.co.uk and there is no way the pigeon I shot is one of them (if the picture on http://www.birdcheck.co.uk/frame.htm is correct).

This pigeon had an almost white body with darker wings and black bands on them. The neck had some green on it.

Some stockies for you ferretmanabu, notice the green markings on the neck.

I made the mistake a few years ago and had a good few hours shooting stock pigeon opps :*)

never done since :)

Stock-Dove1.jpg

Stock_dove.jpg

Feral pigeons carry significantly more diseases that are harmful to humans than

Rats.

Is that objectionable enough ?

Not really, because I don't believe it. B)

"A high proportion of feral pigeons are infected with ornithosis (a mild form of psittacosis). Some have been shown to carry salmonella organisms. Dried pigeon droppings, feathers and nest materials as well as having the potential to cause infections in humans can be respiratory allergens."

Psittacosis at its worse, is like a bad case of influenza and is very rarely fatal. Most people at risk from psittacosis are bird breeders, as exposure has to be at a constantly high level.

Plucking a few ferals and eating the cooked meat sounds no more dangerous than eating Supermarket chickens.

But I would have to admit that I don't eat Supermarket chickens. :)

Looking at those pictures, there's no way I shot a stockie. I think that it's most likely that in this area woodpigeons have crossed with ferals. The field is near some built up villages.

I've always heard of the "treat ferals like rats (i.e. with gloves and burn them)" advice but when I think about it, I really can't see why a skinned and gutted ferals is any more unhygienic to eat than a woodie. From what I understand, most of the disease is carried on the skin and in the feathers. Just a thought.

I can't believe that any self respecting Woodie would mate with a feral pigeon to produce a "Cross" - surely they can't be that desperate for a bit of nookie...:/

If this was the case, the London Parks would be full of such hybrids, as they exist alongside eachother quite happily there and fight over the scraps of discarded burger buns - but I have never seen a "Cross".

Surely the size of the bird is a clue - if it smaller than a woodie and definately not a stockie or Rock Dove, then it can only be a feral...:lol:

I can't believe that any self respecting Woodie would mate with a feral pigeon to produce a "Cross" - surely they can't be that desperate for a bit of nookie...:/

If this was the case, the London Parks would be full of such hybrids, as they exist alongside eachother quite happily there and fight over the scraps of discarded burger buns - but I have never seen a "Cross".

Surely the size of the bird is a clue - if it smaller than a woodie and definately not a stockie or Rock Dove, then it can only be a feral...:lol:

It probably is just a feral then. I don't really have much experience yet and as ferals come in so many different colours, its hard to recognise.