Pigeon Decoy problem

lindsay

Hello all, i was out yesterday with pigeon decoys shell type,and straight away the birds started coming in.

However as soon as they flew round and then came in to land they seemed to get spooked for some reason? :good: we were totaly coverd so they didnt see us.The crows to were coming in and then getting spooked so can any one suggest anything the decoys were set out in a v shape(sort of).

Still managed to get 2 though

Any help would be of great help

Cheers Lindsay :lol:

Are you using a shotgun or air rifle ?

If a shottie , then you allready have them in range if they are commiting to land...

If an air rifle, you got your work cut out.... you may fool them into trying to land ,but the set has to be perfect for them to feel safe on the ground.... and even if you get them to land , they'll soon realise something is wrong and be gone.... so you'll have to be very quick.

Dave :good:

one tip i like to use is talkin power

cheap blue lable tescos stuff ofc not the best in the rain :good: ( other brands are availabile )

it is great to hide the shine of some decoys ,

remember the pegs too anythink that is shiny wont do,

i had problems for a while with this and i found it it was my bino`s ^^

If the birds are decoyng and coming in then spooking I'd say it definitely either something sparkling in the sun or you're moving too soon. If your deeks aren't flocked it could be they are the problem or if you're using metal sticks they can often sparkle especially in low angled winter sunlight. Otherwise watch your own movement also hands/faces and check that you're not silhouetted in the hide.

one tip i like to use is talkin power

cheap blue lable tescos stuff ofc not the best in the rain ( other brands are availabile )

it is great to hide the shine of some decoys ,

remember the pegs too anythink that is shiny wont do,

i had problems for a while with this and i found it it was my bino`s ^^

:good:

:good: spacing your decoys with the right gap in between is essential for the incomming bird to feel at ease.Too close and Awwwwwwwway bye bye he goes... try been still although they cant see you behind the camo net,when your mate is there you will talk and therefore move..game up. remember.... ENOUGH "SPACE"... ENOUGH "SAID" :good:

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, if the birds are coming in then your decoys are working! Check the tips you have got from others, shiny deeks, glinting pegs etc, but if they are decoying in you shouldn't expect every bird to land before you take a shot. Keeping absolutely still is essential, so try not to move until you are ready to take the shot.

When birds are in the air and as a newbie, it's difficult sometimes to tell what distance the birds are; So pace out your decoys from the hide so that the furthest decoy is just within your shot range (35 - 40 yards max for me personally). This way you know that anything that flies inside of that furthest marker is within your kill range.

Buying a magnet because you want one is good as it is a good bit of kit, but if you want one because of the problem you have written about then it won't help.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, if the birds are coming in then your decoys are working! Check the tips you have got from others, shiny deeks, glinting pegs etc, but if they are decoying in you shouldn't expect every bird to land before you take a shot. Keeping absolutely still is essential, so try not to move until you are ready to take the shot.

When birds are in the air and as a newbie, it's difficult sometimes to tell what distance the birds are; So pace out your decoys from the hide so that the furthest decoy is just within your shot range (35 - 40 yards max for me personally). This way you know that anything that flies inside of that furthest marker is within your kill range.

Buying a magnet because you want one is good as it is a good bit of kit, but if you want one because of the problem you have written about then it won't help.

:good:

Absolutely spot on. well said that man :good:

:good: spacing your decoys with the right gap in between is essential for the incomming bird to feel at ease.Too close and Awwwwwwwway bye bye he goes... try been still although they cant see you behind the camo net,when your mate is there you will talk and therefore move..game up. remember.... ENOUGH "SPACE"... ENOUGH "SAID" :good:

Thats totally misleading, theres no such thing as the right distance, Pigeon are greedy feeders and will go for their buddys grain if they can, often feeding head to head, there however does have to be a "killing area", a space within a horseshoe pattern suitable on most occasions and laid out according to any prevailing wind direction. A good book will give you these patterns.

This space or empty area is crucial to good decoying and should be far enough away from the hide to allow the shot pattern to develop for maximum efficiency, but not so far away that its on the max range of the shotgun. I use 30 good paces to the decoy layout and a max range stick as a marker out at 45 paces.

On the subject of birds shying away one thing often overlooked is the backdrop to the hide, I have found, in nearly 40yrs decoying, that the use of a hide net as a backdrop is essential, in fact if you are fully camo,d you can sometimes just sit very still in front of it, moving at the last minute as the bird flares to land to take the shot.

A useful tip for beginners if two birds come in to land, allow the first one to actually land, shoot the second bird as it comes in, then shoot the first bird as it takes off, result two shots two birds, if you can hold your nerve lol.

Rgds D2D