buying a gun.

andy33

Hey,

Still relatively new to this and cant decide which gun to buy, thinking of a Lanber 28" sporter for around 300 quid to get me started or dont know wether to go the whole hog and buy a Berretta 686 for around 1200 quid. i'll use it for clays mostly with a bit of rough shooting from time to time.

okay which is a good buy, if your in the second hand market

A cheaper Lanber :-)

This is what I went for (mostly because a guy at the local clay ground was selling one at

the right price).

It fits me fairly well so it'll do me for a year or two until I'm a better shot and know what I'm

specifically looking for in a gun.

Nial.

If you are new to shooting, dont rush out and spend £1000+ yet - get the cheaper gun and treat it as a learning experience. In six months or a year when you have more shooting under your belt you will be making much better decisions about how to spend £1200.

The starter gun can stay as a spare / rough gun or be traded in.

Nothing wrong with the Beretta, but you are buying because you have "heard its good" rather than because " it suits your purpose and fits you".

Learn with a Lander / Rizzini / Lincoln / Midland / Laurona or similar - lots of choice around £300 2ndh/ - get a Browning/Beretta/Perazzi/ Blaser etc in a years time.

okay which is a good buy, if your in the second hand market

Well I just got my first gun (yesterday!) and it is a benelli raffaello crio. Second hand. 600 quid. Looks like ******* new with beautiful wood. Am totally besotted!

If you want a semi auto - pretty much any second hand benelli will do you well. Their inertia system makes them reliable, less of a pain in the **** to clean, and they look beautiful! Semi-autos will also be good for pretty much everything - aside from some posh shoots where they some sorts may consider them '*****' lol. Will still drop just as many birds though!

Over and under wise people recommend beretta or browning, and say you can't go wrong. In the future maybe you will want one of these. But in the mean time why not opt for a second hand miroku? Made at same factory as the cheaper range of browning guns, but are cheaper even though they have the same, excellent build quality.

Side by side aren't my expertise at ALL, but I know that you can pick some up super cheap.

Hope that helps :hmm:

Guest topshot_2k
Well I just got my first gun (yesterday!) and it is a benelli raffaello crio. Second hand. 600 quid. Looks like ******* new with beautiful wood. Am totally besotted!

If you want a semi auto - pretty much any second hand benelli will do you well. Their inertia system makes them reliable, less of a pain in the **** to clean, and they look beautiful! Semi-autos will also be good for pretty much everything - aside from some posh shoots where they some sorts may consider them '*****' lol. Will still drop just as many birds though!

Over and under wise people recommend beretta or browning, and say you can't go wrong. In the future maybe you will want one of these. But in the mean time why not opt for a second hand miroku? Made at same factory as the cheaper range of browning guns, but are cheaper even though they have the same, excellent build quality.

Side by side aren't my expertise at ALL, but I know that you can pick some up super cheap.

Hope that helps :hmm:

nice gun, downside is they tend to be heavy, slow to reload (from empty) and not really the tool for driven game. Excellent pigeon/clays/wildfowlers though :lol:

If you are new to shooting, dont rush out and spend £1000+ yet - get the cheaper gun and treat it as a learning experience. In six months or a year when you have more shooting under your belt you will be making much better decisions about how to spend £1200.

The starter gun can stay as a spare / rough gun or be traded in.

Nothing wrong with the Beretta, but you are buying because you have "heard its good" rather than because " it suits your purpose and fits you".

Learn with a Lander / Rizzini / Lincoln / Midland / Laurona or similar - lots of choice around £300 2ndh/ - get a Browning/Beretta/Perazzi/ Blaser etc in a years time.

:hmm:

Ps, clayman seems im always calling you stupid , no offence meant :lol:

If you have a little time have a good look at the second hand stuff, I got a nice 686S 30" Multi choke with a cabinet for £500! the gun is very tidy. The Lanbers etc are all good guns, if you are new to the game maybe get a cheaper gun a spend a few quid on instruction!

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
:good: I started with a Lanber which I used for many years and was great (double fired once and never again), went on to a Silver Pigeon 12g (heavy) and back to a Silver pigeon 20 g (great). Beretta A303 semi-auto is great for pigeons in a hide or down a ditch and thinks for you. Just bought a Bettisoli Diamond 1 yr old second hand at £450, tight gun, moves well, I think better than a Lanber. Handle them all in a dealer if you can and then choose the one that works for you - I'm sure you'll know when you find it.