Lamping alone.

vole

I occasionally lamp the odd rabbit using a cheap Argos lamp slung under my arm on the sling it comes with.The broad beam helps a bit with the fact that it swings here and there but the range is only just about the range of my Hushpower 12g . Does anyone else have any slightly more sophisticated ides they might share,please?Preferably bargain basement ones!! :good:

Spot lamp from a car shop, don't go overboard on the candle power. Shotgunning you seriously don't need too much light as it's close and you can usually see what's behind what you're shooting at. The way I shotgun with a lamp solo is to have the gun in my right hand and the lamp in my left. When you see what you want to shoot, the forend of the SG rests on your left forearm, and you should be able to line up the beam with the gun easy enough. It's not sophisticated but it's cheap and it works.

Hi John I seem to be able to keep the torch well away from the gun. Its a Hushpower so barely any recoil . I can rest it on the crook of my elbow with torch in hand whilke shooting. Well I can in my mind anyhoo.Certainly easier than trying to direct the beam of a lamp hung off a strap.Will be out Saturday night to try it out. :innocent:

Hi John I seem to be able to keep the torch well away from the gun. Its a Hushpower so barely any recoil . I can rest it on the crook of my elbow with torch in hand whilke shooting. Well I can in my mind anyhoo.Certainly easier than trying to direct the beam of a lamp hung off a strap.Will be out Saturday night to try it out. :good:

If you don't want too much light hitting bugs bunny all you need do is tilt it up a little, it's a very flexible way of shooting. I remember Robert Bucknell saying he used to shoot rifles that way, reckoned he could kill foxes out to 150 yards that way. I'd miss for sure lol, but it's a good way to shotgun foxes too.

down the bottom in the accessories section...

http://www.uttings.com/?categories/Shootin...sFilters/Deben/

Yep, I use a Deben mount with my lightforce 170 on a shotgun

http://www.deben.com/lights_lamping/lightf...cope_mounts.php

lightforce.jpg

The lamp can be attached/detached from the mount easily so you don't have to wave the gun around whilst you are spotting. It's the same attachment as the rifle scope mount too so I can use the same lamp for both.

Edited by alexm

do any of you guys have a preferance to white light for bunnys or filterd lamps ie red filter

Thanks steve

I use a white light unless they have become white lamp shy. If you shoot in roadside fields the bunnies are accustomed to seeing bright white lights, though I vary the intensity with a dimmer. I save the red light as a last resort, or in case foxy shows up before considering other tactics such as NV or laying up now the nights are drawing out.