Hide tips please

fieldwanderer

I've got some cammo netting, but (simple though it may seem) I'm not much good at making a hide out of it!

Infact, the best way I've found is to wear it!! But that's no good if I'm taking a friend.

I'm on a bit of a budget so please don't list loads of fancy poles etc, I'd be much happier with methods using your surroundings / poles cut from the local woodland/hedgerow.

Looks to me like I've got two large fields of corn, so some fantastic shooting well, now I suppose, and again at the end of summer :yes:

Any tips (on hide building)?

how big is your cam net? i find that using bungees is a good way to hang things up or my ole fav para cord!I also make sure that the behind or scrub i'm sitting in is thick foliage as to block out my shape and silohete...if you look you can see natrual indents in some hedge rows and thats usually a good place to start. The other thing to do is set the hide up in a couple of days in advance to bed it in and get the wildlife used to it. :yes:

Fairly small, 10' square I think.

Thinking about it, I've got a big reel of para-cord which I didn't have last summer so there's a start.

What would you do then, find a depression in the hedge, clear it up a bit and stretch the net in a "nearly" straight line across it. How tall? and how far from the hedge?

Cut four or five straight hazel sticks with a fork at one end for your hide poles, or invest a few pounds at Wilkinsons and buy some clothes poles.

You then drape the camo net round the sticks/poles until you have your hide.

Its great if you can have the background of a hedge, or other solid vegetation to set up against, but this is not always possible.

It is important that the back wall of the hide is taller than your waiting position (standing, or seated).

In a hide total concealment is not always possible, but birds spot movement, so keep this to a minimum.

Also wearing a hat, face net/mask and gloves, also helps conceal you.

I frequently have to set up in the open and keep my hide low profile and shoot from a seated position.

The net at the front of my hide (facing the decoys), is often only about 2ft tall.

This means that I am in full view of pigeons coming straight at the hide, but being dressed in camo , with face net/gloves, hat etc. and keeping still, I have no problems.

10'X10' .... :yes: Sounds good to me, but you'd have to have seated unless there,s a slight depression in the grond which dosen't allways happen. But saying that if you do find a hole in some foliage then it may be a bit different because you can then stand if enough room?. Also take some tips that are good ie: get yourself some poles it can be 2 max peg them out far enough so you have enough room to be able to shoot 180 degrees.

You can peg the one side up in the srub or hedge row and anchor the bottom side too, then drape the cam net over your 2 poles( hope your paying your pole's well they dont come to England for nothin!!!)...leaving your other side loose for when you need to break cover, but once in you'll have to sit still and move as little as possible, basically your ambushing your prey.

One tip of mine is to cover yourself from head to toe in kit ie:hands, face, and no shiney glinting kit.... blend in as much as you can. :blink:

Sorry forgot to say when pegging out use your para cord to secure your poles( stops them running off... :yes: ) and if you have any bungees use them to secure your cam net if you dont have oodles of para cord. :oops:

p.s sorry, spelling is donkey poooh!!!! :blink:

Ooops!!.. :good: sorry bout that mod!!

Edited by magpie_assassin

If you have a good back-drop ie a thick hedge or tree trunk or whatever you can often use just 3 poles/supports. That is, make a triangle which points towards your decoys. Make it low(ish) at the pointed end and as high as you can at the sides. This gives good concealment from the sides and a good shooting space out front. There's also plenty of space for the gun barrel to point towards where the birds should be coming in and helps to stop getting hung up in the hide netting. This will work for 2 people providing you operate the 'one shooting at a time' method. Its safer like that!

You definitely need some sort of poles though but the para cord will always come in at times.

• 2 weeks later...

In my very limited experience I have been using bamboo poles whilst waiting for my wilkos clothes props to arrive. Very good in most conditions however they are prone to flexing somewhat in a decent wind. This can be overcome by fixing the sides back to the hedge/whatever back cover is available.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi fieldwanderer, I am a newbie but am also on a tight budget so I use the storm poles designed for my old carp fishing bivvy. Thay have screw bottoms so can get them in the hardest ground and are extendable and light weight. I just put a rod rest head in the top to wrap the net around. I also carry a couple of extendable linen props just incase.

I carry some garden canes - bought from the loacal garden centre they are green in colour

I have lengths for 4ft to 6ft on top of these canes I taped some fencing wire which can be bent to secure the netting in any position

Also as said - cut Hazel or willow to bulk out the canes and create a 3d hide as opposed to a flat front, using just a net

Netting I have is the real tree advance timber- 6 metres x 1.5 metres high-which works very well againd a hedge or woodland

Les :oops: