Help needed!

AdamW

Guy's

Its my 40th this year, and the family want to treat me to something!

My thoughts are a driving day, but I have done these before, and know that you don't get much driving (I can understand it do to risk's etc)

so, have any of you lot done any that you would recommend?

I am thinking along the lines of rally and super car stuff, unless you have a an idea that I have not thought of....

I don't do flying, so that's out, have done the diving thing and given up, so that's done! what else!

I shall leave it up to you............

Adam

Guy's

Its my 40th this year, and the family want to treat me to something!

My thoughts are a driving day, but I have done these before, and know that you don't get much driving (I can understand it do to risk's etc)

so, have any of you lot done any that you would recommend?

I am thinking along the lines of rally and super car stuff, unless you have a an idea that I have not thought of....

I don't do flying, so that's out, have done the diving thing and given up, so that's done! what else!

I shall leave it up to you............

Adam

Iv,e done several elements of the Landrover off road courses and they can be scary depending on the surface and rainfall. Good value for money.

Whatever you do I hope you have a good time :rolleyes:

Rgds D2D.

Try Bedford Autodrome, Palmer Racing.

Approx £830.00 for the following

Porsche 911

Nissen 350Z

Renault Clio

Go-Karting

Twin Seat Jaguar

Single Seater

Caterham 7 around track, plus later on Caterham 7 side by side race with water being sprayed on track to enhance power slides.

Nissen 4x4

All in the same day.

Did it a couple of years ago on a Works corporate day and this included Bacon roll, coffee in the morning, cold drinks/Tea coffee throughout the day, Lunch and afternoon Tea.

Fantastic days racing of different forms and size of cars. I got praised by the instructor when doing the porshe after i managed to overtake goinginto a corner, lost the car going in did 360, dropped a couple of gears and pulled it out going in the right direction still in front. :blink: Managed to win the Go-karting by a country mile, came third in the caterhams, Fav car of the day was the 350Z, what a great car in standard form except race tyres and brakes, never got out of third gear on the circuit we were on, stuck like glue to the track, with wicked backend power. First time I've ever raced with Air-con/Sat-Nav and CD player :good:

Porsche was Playstation paddle gear control LH drive, Single seaters scaringly fast, Jag twin seater, serious amount of power, Renault was LH sequential crash box. Off road was atad boring, having done many, but still enjoyable.

£830 alot of money, but have to say worth every penny in my book. Go on you're only 40 once :rolleyes:

SS

Why not go to Amsterdam for a long weekend........

You can go with the boys to do what boys do while the more civilized half of the complement go look at the sites of interest.

To be honest its bad enough being 40 let alone reminded of it by a weekend with everyone telling you-'Happy 40 birthday'

Although I suppose you must be thankful that to most on here a 40 birthday is only a distant memory.............

I agree that the Bedford Autodrome gives the most variety and most time in the car. Also no speed limits.

Alternatively hire a supercar for the day. In the range £500-1,500 per day. You can do with it what you like (within reason) and be Billy Big B***ocks for the day.

However I got really depressed when I got to 40 and it took me a couple of years to start to enjoy things again!

Andrew

If you want a driving type thing why not look at hiring something different for the weekend. My Dad was given a MGB for a weekend and loved it. I'm sure I've seen it before where you can hire supercars and the like as well. No idea on the costs though. At least this way your going to be doing all the driving.

Cheers Jon

But the max speed you can legally do on British roads is til 70 mph, no matter what supercar(s) you hire. Get out on the track and there is no limits other than the laws of physics.

Palmer motorsport I've just looked and they do half days for £345+ VAT

SS

I agree but it depends on what you want to get out of the experience. If you want to experience a range of cars at high speed then yes the Palmer day or half day is good. Ive done it and it was a good day. However if you want to experience 'owning' a supercar for day, and that includes driving it fast (legally), driving it slowly, going to the shops, taking the kids out for a ride etc. then hiring one is the only option. the only downside is giving it back at the end. If I had to choose only one I'd go for hiring a supercar. But it wouldn't take much to persuade me otherwise!

Andrew

I owned one for a good few years (not an R500) so I know they need to be treated with a bit of respect.

I'll dig out the picture of mine going backwards into the tyres at Goodwood :rolleyes:

As for the treat, I did a boloon trip over Bath for my 30th and that was something I will never forget, you need a nice evening though, our trip was put off twice.

You will always be resticted in some way on a track day, they won't let you go mad - they would simply run out of cars.

I still fancy hiring a Caterham R500 for the weekend though, but only with unlimited milage allowance.

Bedford Autodrome/Palmer is unrestricted (or it was when I did it) for the simple reason that there is nothing to hit. No barriers just lots and lots of run off space. In fact the instructers normally tell you to go faster and faster. Your nerves normally gives out before the car does.

Yes the mileage restrictions on supercars are very punitive. You nromally get 100 miles per day (which doesn't get you far - 100 miles to be precise!) with extra miles charged. I was charged £1.50 per mile for a F430.

A pair of tarts for the weekend. I would suggest twins with massive norks and with their own trampoline and jelly pit.

Don't forget to post the piccies in sporting pictures.

Spot on!!

I did the Supercar experience at Thruxton.

Mazda RX8 with instructor

Merc SLK

Ferrari 430

Lambo Murc (got the ******* up to 159mph :rolleyes: )

Much preferred the previous in Prague though :blink:

Cheeky girls and Jelly remain on the wish list

Nige