Beretta or Miruko

Cantitit

put the money on the one that feels right when you shoulder it, unless you are having it fitted, if you are I don't know just have a good look at the condition of both before parting with your ard earned.

Edited by Red 9R

What I didnt state in my original post was that the Mk70 did seem to fit me better than the Beretta, so after reading your replies it has sealed the case for me.

Miruko it is!

Many thanks for your help in this issue and happy shooting to all. :)

Miroku will be difficlut to sell in a few years time if you need to. Took me nearly 4 months to flog mine! There muzzle heavy, un-balanced and dont look nice IMO.

Berreta is very easy to re-sell, well balanced and is very reliable and easy to clean.

I'd go for Berreta every time ( trust me im in the gun trade :) ).

Your advice is well and truely noted Sam but, I've shot the Beretta over the last few months (brother in laws gun) and although, a loverly crafted piece, the fit isn't quite right for me. The first time I picked the MK70 up everything fell into place.

To recap, off in the morning to Kibworth shooting ground for a 50 + 50 more bird session and will let you all know what I've chosen.

Hopefully I can try some different guns in between, thats if the wife will let me have some more money £1000 - £1300 would be nice!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Your advice is well and truely noted Sam but, I've shot the Beretta over the last few months (brother in laws gun) and although, a loverly crafted piece, the fit isn't quite right for me. The first time I picked the MK70 up everything fell into place.

Cantitit, IMO you have made the right decision ,read your own post .

The first time I picked the MK70 up everything fell into place.

as FM said good quality well made gun ,dunganick basicaly a browning good quality gun ,what more do you need ,

I have a Miroku four barrel set i use in skeet ,love it to death in the sub gauges .

counter to Sam f"s post , it is well balanced and does look good and funny enough its as easy to clean as my berreta :)

(trust me im not in the trade ) just kidding Sam :) NHF

i think you'l have fun with the gun ,then you can change your handel to

CANITIT

good shooting

Martin

Or look at a Winchester. The 6500 range are very well balanced, some of the best made barrels you will find and are made to be as thin and strong as a Purdey barrels.

Alternativley a Browning A1 is a good gun but very prone to rust.

I'm about 2 inches under 6ft and had the 30" multi choke game version of the Mk70. Didn't like the gun one bit and was difficult to sell but if it fits you ok and you like it buy it. Shoot whatever you pick first!

Look around the racks and decide what to go for, don't just pick the 3 main brands available ( Berreta, Browning or Miroku) but look at some other guns. Most people when they come into a shop are brainwashed on what they already want, not what is the best choice for them and their shooting or personal size.

Beat the price down and have 250 carts thrown in.

i know some one who had to close a gun shop after the pistol ban, he's a bit of a keen shot, and he's just bought a pair of mk60's which has had briley chokes put into, this means they arnt muzzel heavy, and exactly the same could be done with a new mk60 barrel for any mk70, just buy an mk60 barrel and have chokes fitted to it (about £300 for a pair of barrels) and away you go

its the slightly expensive alternative, but they are very good guns

be warned, the miroku's tend not to have such nice pieces of wood as the brownings, so its worth looking around for a nice example.

Miruko, winchester and browning are all under the same banner as browning so all these guns are very well made.

now i was told something by a old gunsmith and his advice when i also had the choice of a Beretta and a Browning his advice to me was a Browning or one of the browning family every time and when i asked why because the Beretta is a popular gun he said to me Browning guns wear IN Beretta guns wear OUT..

i know that this will proberly upset the devoted Beretta Owner but this was not my opinion it was the opinion of a very good gunsmith

cheers Sean

Guest Mr Pieman

Cantitit

I'd have the beretta and then book some cosmetic surgery arranged so your body is the right shape for the gun :):):):lol::/

I'd opt for Beretta every time. Someone rightly said the Miroku is basically a Browning - that's reason in itself NOT to buy it in my book!!!

Unbiasly yours :)

PP

I have a 686 EL that has been to the Smiths 4 times in 5 years for repair.

I dont think the nature of the repair could be classed as normal wear & tear. The first two were done under warranty so I couldnt complain but the Gunsmith did say that they repair more Berettas than any other make, but that could be down to just the volume sold.

I also have a MK 70 sporter and the build quality is discernably better than the Berreta.

The overriding factor is fit and if the gun fits well and feels right its the right choice.. whichever model you choose.

There is nothing at all wrong with japanese design and engineering...

Ok so the Italians may have given us the Ferrari, Lamborgini, and Maserati but Nissan gave us the Micra Primera and Almera..... :):):):)

FM.

both are good shotguns priced within the range of the working man. i don't think that you would go wrong with the beretta, miruko, or comparable browning. i prefer the beretta pesonally for the following reasons:

1-my personal gun for clays and much of my game shooiting is a beretta 687 silver pigeion II optima 30". luckily it fit me like a glove right out of the box. my shooting has since steadily improved since i bought it because it fits me good. this of course is a purely individual matter. i had been using a browning citori which did not fit. great gun---bad fit for me. shooting a gun that fits is fundamental to progressing in shooting ability.

2-the beretta is designed to be easily rebuilt. the parts that wear are easily replaceable. i talked to one of the most well know beretta gunsmith in the world who is mark cole from maine in the u.s.. he told me that he has never seen a 600 series beretta receiver that has been worn out. they are rebuildable and if given care will easily last a man a lifetime with reasonable care.

3-you can easily remove the ejectors in a beretta without tools and with a beretta stock wrench the stock comes off in a flash for cleaning and maint. much more simple than the browning design.

4-the balance and feel of the beretta is more nimble at least to me.

5-negatively, i have seen some **** leave the beretta factory that need repairs and adjustments, but for the most part they put out very nice quality for the money. the same thing could be said for miruko/browning.

having said all of that, the miruko/browning shotguns are excellent guns for the money and i don't think that you could go wrong with them either. the browning designed guns are excellent. if the mirulo/browning guns fit me better that a beretta i would be using them--very much an individual thing.

p.s. i would recommend getting some top quality gun grease and use it sparingly on the break action o/u where the steel rubs against steel (where it pivots) to properly maintain a nice o/u break action gun. i put a small dab of gun grease on the cams that the barrel of my beretta where it pivots.

Edited by deadeye

p.s. i would recommend getting some top quality gun grease and use it sparingly on the break action o/u where the steel rubs against steel (where it pivots) to properly maintain a nice o/u break action gun. i put a small dab of gun grease on the cams that the barrel of my beretta where it pivots.

Good post Deadeye,like your points very well put .

As to your point on gun grease ,have you ever tried a dry lubricant ??

my own guns have no grease at all ,cant stand the stuff ,i have always found the ability of dust grit small particles get into the workings easily and if a abundence of grease is available you have just created a grinding paste for your shotgun action .

my own preferance is a product from Dow Corning #321 its a dry film ,sprayed onto the action, hinge, breech, chambers ,choke threads .

its a molly coat containing MoS 2 ,graphite,molybdenum,sulfide,lpg,polybutyl titanate , the operating temps range from -200c to plus 450c

extreme i know but here the temps i shoot in range from -25c to plus 38/40c .

i thouroughly clean my guns after a few thousand rounds using a varsol product clean and spray an even coat all over the action (mask off the out side of the receiver ) the insides of the chambers ,block extractors and hinge area ,allow to dry the same on the fore-end action ,remove chokes ,clean threads with brass brush and apply inside barrels and the complete choke inside and out (this will assist in the removal of burnt wad plastic later ) ,fit gun and run your action a few times to set in ,you will notice the action tighten up slightly taking out a the slack on a looser gun :) .

All my guns run this product and i have no problems at all ,the product we use in the shop on large threaded drill collar and wellhead tools down hole and directional ,it has served well in the industry and suits my shooting needs.

Martin