66,300 knots later.

tiercel

fair play to you sir.

i have been there as well but gave it all up and away. then one bit of land needed the rabbits thinned so i thought about it again. went to a game fair and was buying 4oz and needles but then found for the same money i could by sheet. £17 for 100mtr (50 bag)

what you using for poles, i take it your using as quick set?

Phil

well done sir, my long net i made is 110yds long fitted to a 70yd line, 18 meshes wide............. no idea how many chuffin knots............ but 2 months work......... she is a beaut!!!!!!!!!!

Impressive sir :) Maybe you need to change your name to "gonna CATCH a wabbit" :(

an old post of mine showing my long net

Hi all. Further to my recent post in the country section re our first attempy at longnetting. One of our local permissions has had us waging a war of attrition against the bunnies. They are in his fields, garden, orchard so decided to hit 'em with everything rifles, shotguns and including the ferrets.

The orchard is quite overgrown beneath the trees making shooting very difficult also it is quite near to the farmers house so from a safety aspect not really an option. With this in mind i decided to deploy the longnet and ferrets. I took my 75yd hemp net and encircled the bury which consisted of a 6 hole set and a 12' by 6' sheet of corrugated tin that has been left there since time immemorial and had 3 rabbit holes coming out from underneath it.

So i started with the 6 hole set. I was concerned about losing the ferret in the tall undergrowth despite us strimming it down to a sensible level and after talking to dead eye duck and YTS trainee we thought it would be a good idea to fit the locator collar and follow her progress underground straight away and take the chance on disturbing the rabbits underground(priority not to lose the ferret). So after posting the ferret and switching the locator box on off we went. I followed her round in a 5 - 6 foot circle for three turns, she was obviously in hot pursuit of a bunny underground and on the third revolution as i started to get dizzy HA HA out popped the rabbit like a champagne cork with the ferret in hot pursuit. The rabbit crashed into the long net and was firmly enmeshed as i killed it and picked up the ferret. Another 1 for my hand made net WOO HOO!

the sheet of tin was next. i popped the ferret into one of the holes and instantly a rumbling and crashing against the tin ensued which resulted in a tennis ball sized bunny running straight the the holes in the net without touching the sides. The ferret looked out of the hole it had exited and went straight back down, quickly followed by another rumbling and crashing against the tin as buny No2 made its bid for freedom and again was firmly enmeshed in the net. After administering the coup de grace out came the ferret and with time marching on i dedcided to call it time and head for home as i had a night shift to work later that day. A modest bag of 2 bunnies but we are gradually witling the numbers down and have accounted for around 20 in all now over the last couple of weeks. Will try to post the pics i took hope they work!

Reduced: 80% of original size [ 640 x 480 ] - Click to view full image

Reduced: 80% of original size [ 640 x 480 ] - Click to view full image

I have just put the three new nets that I have knitted out of double stranded 20/6 spun polyester, on to lines then on to the end pins. All I have to do now is splice the running lines and they are ready to go next winter.

The net ready to be threaded on to the lines.

2009_0418net50yd0003.jpg

Threaded on the lines and ready to be evened out along the lines.

2009_0418net50yd0004.jpg

First one done and a few pegs put on to help with the picking up.

2009_0418net50yd0002.jpg

All three done and ready for picking up.

2009_0418net50yd0006.jpg

Nets lifted on to the end pins and ready for splicing.

2009_0418net50yd0007.jpg

Since that post I have made up another 25yd net but have run out of selvage twine, so will have to wait till I make up a new order to finish it.

TC

well done sir, my long net i made is 110yds long fitted to a 70yd line, 18 meshes wide............. no idea how many chuffin knots............ but 2 months work......... she is a beaut!!!!!!!!!!

31,680 110 x 16 x 18

TC