Anybody ever had a dislocated Knee?

Boromir

Had my knee knackered at college many years ago playing footie.

It went on for about 5 years then knackered it again on some ploughed ground and had an op to remove damaged cartilage and the anti cruciate ligament ( i think that is how it is spelt ).

Months of physio followed to build the muscles up around the knee as they would now have to do what the ligament normally does.

It goes in and out of joint regularly and does not take well to me walking round the farm too much. At some point i will have to have the knee repaired in some way but the odds were 75% success, which sounds good but as the consultant pointed out if you are in the 25% failure then you will be worse off than you already are. He told me that the majority of pro footballers are all in the same boat and manage to keep the muscles big enoughto do the job.

Personally all the time i can manage with occasional use of supports for the more strenuous tasks then i will do without the op.

Best of luck and i know how painful it is. :D

Badshot

Had my knee knackered at college many years ago playing footie.

It went on for about 5 years then knackered it again on some ploughed ground and had an op to remove damaged cartilage and the anti cruciate ligament ( i think that is how it is spelt ).

Months of physio followed to build the muscles up around the knee as they would now have to do what the ligament normally does.

It goes in and out of joint regularly and does not take well to me walking round the farm too much. At some point i will have to have the knee repaired in some way but the odds were 75% success, which sounds good but as the consultant pointed out if you are in the 25% failure then you will be worse off than you already are. He told me that the majority of pro footballers are all in the same boat and manage to keep the muscles big enoughto do the job.

Personally all the time i can manage with occasional use of supports for the more strenuous tasks then i will do without the op.

Best of luck and i know how painful it is. :D

Badshot

The first time I dislocated it, it was so painful i was in tears. Second and third time was only painful for a minute or two but now im walking round the house thinking its gonna give way again.

Do you think I should go to my GP and ask him?

How long does this physio and op last for?

:D Did mine in an RTA, the ambulance turned up and my leg was in a funny shape, the knee looked hideous but in all honesty the other leg was hurting more as it was broken.The abulance crew rolled a yellow inflatable sling up my leg after cutting off my leathers and boot and as it inflated it the knee went POP!!!! When i came to, it had relocated where it should be....luckily it has never done it again.

I also dislocated both my hips in an altercation with a securicor van....................

B) Gone mad can't see the attachment bit so can't attach photo for you. :good:

Definitely go to your gp and get referred to consultant if possible ( you can always cancel later ). Don't rely on gp for physio as i had to wait six weeks for an appointment, by which time the knee had recovered sufficiently to go about my business

The op was less than an hour and should have been an outpatients job but as i took so long to come around i stayed overnight.

My physio lasted at least six months, this involved going to hospital once a week and using machines and equipment and doing lots of exercises at home.

I would recommend a knee support they make a huge difference and can speed the recovery process as your knee is stabilised and stops getting worse. As above no photo as gone blind, i just cannot see the attachment bit of the page :)

I have two types one came from hospital and costs approx £200-400 to buy at www.physioroom.com It is a hard metal hinged support for acl injury.

The other is a sports support bought from www.proline-sports.com This is a neoprene type support and costs approx £20 upwards.

Neither is really any better than the other except that the metal one is for use with my sheep which are deadly for knees as 70 kg hitting you in the side of the knee at 15mph really hurts :)

I have no ties with the above organisations but they are what i have and they seem to work well and appear reasonable quality.

The benefit of a support is it stops the knee from waggling about and inflaming the tissue any further, anti inflammatory painkillers can help as well. If you have fluid on the knee from swelling this will only make matters worse and needs addressing with ice packs and elevation and simply tensing the muscles in your knee which helps to strengthen your knee as well as dispersing the fluid.

I am a farmer not doctor so any advice should be taken as from a friend not expert.

Best of luck and hope this helps.

P.s keep using it or the muscles will waste away and take longer to recover.

Badshot

Well thats the last time i give advice about knees.

Wrote all about it and wouldn't you know it, the ****** sheep dogs walloped full tilt into the side of my leg and put it out again :blink:

Bit of french and german and now wearing one of said knee supports.

**** LAW innit :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice badshot, the first time it happened the doctor had to put a needle behind my knee cap to release the blood that was building up. The 2nd and 3rd time my leg just gave way while twisting my body but the pain only lasted a couple of minutes and the feeling like its gonna give way again for a few days after that.

Its working alright now but that doesnt mean its back to normal.