.22lr ballistics.

Hi, Tungsten,

Two things to bear in mind:

We're talking rimfire here so it's not possible to be pedantic.

Unless you've won the lottery you probably won't be using the quality of scope whereby you can rely on the accuracy of the clicks. At best they will just be an indication of what to expect.

You haven't mentioned what rounds you are firing - sub-sonic or whatever? If you post that info, I'll try to help.

If it helps at all if you zero at 50M you will be about 7" low at 100 yards.

A 15 yard zero is about there for a 50M shot.

Sorry to mix between yards and metres but this is practical knowledge through target shooting. And they are the official ranges shot.

another thing you can do

Assuming the range you have access to you can't walk forward 40 yards and shoot from there

Get there early and stick your target up at 50 yards before everyone else starts shooting?

Disclaimer

I would just like to say I have never ever done this at Bisley :D

Hi, Tungsten,

Two things to bear in mind:

We're talking rimfire here so it's not possible to be pedantic.

Unless you've won the lottery you probably won't be using the quality of scope whereby you can rely on the accuracy of the clicks. At best they will just be an indication of what to expect.

You haven't mentioned what rounds you are firing - sub-sonic or whatever? If you post that info, I'll try to help.

I have been using Winchester subs I also have some Eley Plus subs. I went to the range today and grouping quite well with Winchester subs. I put an old credit card (as I thought) on the target and hit a 3 shoot group (~90yds), unfortunately when I looked after shooting the group, it turned out to be my wifes card she asked me to look after!! :good:

OK, Tungsten,

My 2.6" was for Winch sub, as is the following.

Two ways to do it, so we can cross check for accuracy.

2.6" high at 50 at which range your click effect is halved. 2.6 divided by 0.125 = 20.8, ie, come down 21.

Zero at 50 is -4.8 at 90 so you need to come down that much. Click effect here is 90% or 0.225. 4.8 divided by .225 = 21.3r, ie, come down 21.

Job done but please bear in mind the previous remarks about rimfire and scopes.

Now you're in trouble, you may as well turn it around and have another go.

Cheers

Don't know if any one else has an Iphone? But you can download to the phone a ballistic calculator, There are several on the Iphone but this seemed the best, I just typed in "bullet" then I tried "ballistic" in the Apps search.

Ballistic v1.8.0, £3.99. It,s quite good and confirms Wymberley's calculations to within 2 clicks. Also can be viewed at http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/

Don't know if any one else has an Iphone? But you can download to the phone a ballistic calculator, There are several on the Iphone but this seemed the best, I just typed in "bullet" then I tried "ballistic" in the Apps search.

Ballistic v1.8.0, £3.99. It,s quite good and confirms Wymberley's calculations to within 2 clicks. Also can be viewed at http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/

Hi, Tungsten,

Haven't got one of those gadgets, still trying to work out how to set the video recorder!

Have had a look at the site which yours refers you to and that indicates that yours may include the BC for rimfire rounds.

Would be a bit surprised if it does, but could you let me know?

Hi, Tungsten,

Haven't got one of those gadgets, still trying to work out how to set the video recorder!

Have had a look at the site which yours refers you to and that indicates that yours may include the BC for rimfire rounds.

Would be a bit surprised if it does, but could you let me know?

There are quite a few bits and pieces come with this software; one is a list manufactures ammo specs. There is only one for .22, think it's a generic spec and it show the .22 BC to be 0.104.

Still playing around with it but I am impressed as you can set your own loads as a favourite, save range visits, target info, zeroing info it even a the press of a button factors in weather conditions and altitude for your current location B)

Question in first post:

I use CCI shorts.

Good for 50meters.

Quieter than subs.

29 grain heads

Equivalent to an FAC air rifle

Great for barns/woodlands and picking off sitters in rookeries.

Where do you get them from as my local gunsmith does not stock them?

LOOKING AT THE SITE MENTIONED BELOW, WHICH ONES DO YOU REFER TO? AND ARE THEY HOLLOW POINT??

Edited by tungsten

are you using the CCI CB Shorts?

just been looking and they also make a low power short in a long case for better feeding...

last section down the bottom of the page

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

"CBs are reduced-power cartridges for low-noise pest control or practice. Both are loaded to the same velocity; the CB Long makes loading in some firearms easier.

22 Short CB part #0026

22 CB Long part #0038

Not designed to cycle semi-auto firearms. "

they sounds perfect for something i have in mind (don't have a FAC airgun, and the rimmies are a bit too powerful)

Nickbeardo, Hi.

Thanks for the CCI website, but sod it!

Until they changed the spec., Federal 50 gr were ideal in my 22 WMR and since then I,ve had to use WRS and/or Remmington which are pricey, particularly the RWS, because they are the most accurate.

Ran the programme on the CCI 30gr V Max which are specified on their site and they look a bit tasty. Spoke to GMK and they don.t import them - will if my local dealer will order 2000. Fat chance!

Good news is, Tungsten, they do import the CB long (0038).