recomend a 243 for stalking

plinker

looking to buy a 243 for occasional stalking,probaly get used 5 or 6 times a year, a want a sporter not a heavy barrel varmint rifle as i allready have one for foxing etc.

dont really want a 2nd hand 243 because of barrel wear.

local shop have howa new for less than £500 screw cut with a junk scope and mounts. i know a fister and dunganick said they had bad ones but everyone i spoke to locally reckon they are more than happy with them. and the market does not seem full of 2nd hand ones ,so thats a good sign,looked a t3 but think they have priced themselves out of the budget end of the market for what is really a budget rifle, plus i hate the synthetic stock on the t3 i just looks ugly(imo).

not really sure about remmy and their trigger.

the rifle does not need to be sub moa as is purley for stalking just cheap with a half decent trigger well balanced and have a good barrel.

any comments or recomendations appreciated.

cheers

AVOID those Remmingtons in the link above!

Absolute pile of ********! Worst bolt ive ever felt on a rifle, **** stock and scope that should only be used on a air popper!

£500 will get you a good s/h Tikka 595, Browning A Bolt, Sako A11, Sako 75 etc.

P.S IVYTHORN SPORTING near Street is always very good for s/h quality rifles.

Edited by sam f

Sam, I bought what appeared to be a great deal on a second-hand Sako 591 from Steve Beatty at Ivythorn Sporting, earlier this year. It transpired that he'd threaded the muzzle himself, getting it 6 degrees out of concentricity with the bore. As I was using a stubby little ASE CQB mod, I didn't notice the misaligned thread until I put a longer muzzle can on it, to try to resolve the mysterious accuracy issues. The longer mod accentuated Beatty's shoddy work. The riflesmith who I asked to do the remedial work said it was one of the sloppiest machining jobs he has ever seen. Beatty is a friendly and helpful bloke, and he knows his shotguns, but he knows ****-all about riflesmithing.

Back on thread though, Plinker, I would echo Sam's recommendations, although I would be very surprised if you can pick up a Sako 75 for £500.

Hi I bought a new model 70 Winchester .243 it cost me £570 and is a really good rifle would have loved to have spent double on a sako but was on a budget.

Its a really nice rifle to shoot, I have no complaints.

I bought it from pets and past times in Stoke they are good guys there.

Guest RemmySPS
AVOID those Remmingtons in the link above!

Absolute pile of ********! Worst bolt ive ever felt on a rifle, **** stock and scope that should only be used on a air popper!

£500 will get you a good s/h Tikka 595, Browning A Bolt, Sako A11, Sako 75 etc.

P.S IVYTHORN SPORTING near Street is always very good for s/h quality rifles.

Take it you’re not too keen on them then Sam. :lol::lol::yes:

I agree that the bolt is a bit naff, but a couple of hours polishing that awful black finish off certainly makes it a lot better. And you can always fill the stock with epoxy to stiffen it up. The one I bought has finished up pretty well and is very accurate, although it does have a better stock than the one in the picture.

The scope is just a bit of titillation, and as far as I can see they are about the same price in different shops whether they have the scope or not, so it isn’t really an issue as it would probably be removed anyway to make way for a better one.

I do agree about the Tikka though and my own .243 is a T3 Hunter with a Walnut stock and a bolt that slides like it’s on rails, which let’s face it, is like comparing chalk and cheese. :good:

But as plinker said he didn’t want a Tikka……I just put forward an option.

I like my Remmy anyway :yes:

DSCF0019.jpg

cheers guys

in most other calibers except 22-250or 243 i would go for 2nd tikka or sako, i have a tikka m590i in 222 and love it, but 243 is a ,bit of barrel burner and the history is allways a mystery on older rifles.

the guy in somerset has a A11 that was rebarreled approx 600rounds ago but its still could have had a lot of hot loads down it for all i know.

what about the browning A bolt anyone got any opinions?

as for the tikka t3 if they were £500 i would probaly buy one, but they are not unfortunatley.

cheers guys

in most other calibers except 22-250or 243 i would go for 2nd tikka or sako, i have a tikka m590i in 222 and love it, but 243 is a ,bit of barrel burner and the history is allways a mystery on older rifles.

the guy in somerset has a A11 that was rebarreled approx 600rounds ago but its still could have had a lot of hot loads down it for all i know.

what about the browning A bolt anyone got any opinions?

as for the tikka t3 if they were £500 i would probaly buy one, but they are not unfortunatley.

If you shop around and find one at the old price you could probally pick one up for about £500.

Im lucky as I have found one for £590 near me. Hopefully pick it up soon :lol: Don;t know if id pay £750 plus for one though :good: that's not so cheap for a "budget rifle"

Edited by Bigthug87

Plinker, surely if you ask to see the bore of any prospective second hand rifle any gunsmith would get his borescope out and let you have a look at it?

It's an old saying, but buy the best you can afford. A good second hand sako action would be worth rebarreling in the future. Have a good look at the guntrader web site, theres lots to choose from, you might find something lovely!

Atb, ft

PS,

Just found this on guntrader; Sako 75 Action 3 Hunter Wood Blued .243 21" (R/H) £550 (S/H) Northumberland

There's an Sako A2, a heym and a mannlicher luxus all for around the same money.

Edited by flytie

I've got the Howa 1500 stainless, really pleased with it. Only fired about 100 rounds but regularly get sub 1" groups at 150 metres. Not the lightest to carry, but well built and reliable. Stock has a nice tactile feel which is easy to clean and withstands the knocks off being in the back of a land rover.

Overall , very impressed so far for the occasional stalking I do.

Baldrick, doesn't sound very good ! I have never bought anything of him but have mates who have and have generally been pleased, but sounds like he is a shoddy riflesmith. :oops:

Regarding my post about that Remi, i am talking the model 710, not the normal 700 versions.

Theres a ok looking Sako 75 varmint @ £550? on guntrader.

Guest RemmySPS

Friend of mine has a Sako with a heavy barrel and a laminated stock which he bought for less than £500 and it is very good……..but weighs an absolute ton.

As for the new Remington’s; I believe they were brought in for the American market to cater for the dimwit shooter who just wants to buy a rifle to go “Huntin’â€. It comes complete with a scope and is so cheap over there that if he should lose it in a river or over a cliff it isn’t going to matter too much. A sort of throw-away gun that is ideal for a season.

Makes me want to cry really because all of the skill and beauty of older rifles with their Walnut and blueing, seems to be going down the pan in favour of plastic and phosphate finish. No doubt future generations will only be able to look at the beauty of older guns in books. Yes I own one myself, but all my other rifles are Walnut and blue.

Don’t know what others feel but I think that older rifles balance better as well.

Edited by RemmySPS

buy a sako or a tikka new dont buy second hand people tell porkies how many rounds been thro them anyway end up with a piece of junk you now it makes sense

my thoughts as well on the round count paul but i dont want to spend sako money on a rifle i will rarely use,so will probaly buy a new budget rifle possibly a howa sporter or a browning a bolt composite stalker , still keeping an open mind though ,got plenty of time to think about it as i have not done my variation yet.

anyone experienced the a bolt?

Makes me want to cry really because all of the skill and beauty of older rifles with their Walnut and blueing, seems to be going down the pan in favour of plastic and phosphate finish. No doubt future generations will only be able to look at the beauty of older guns in books. Yes I own one myself, but all my other rifles are Walnut and blue.

Don’t know what others feel but I think that older rifles balance better as well.

I agree with you, Remmy. I've now got rid of all the 'black and nasty' guns I had. I much prefer the look, balance and feel of walnut stocks, and diligent cleaning and maintenance has kept my rifles looking good despite the abuse they get. The actions are all bedded, so I have no accuracy issues. My next stalking rifle is going to be something like a Heym or Schultz & Larsen.

I see we're getting the "dont buy this on it's ****" and "buy this cos I've got one"

I have a Howa. I've had a Remy and a CZ527. All of them will do a job for you pretty much the same as the expensive stuff. If you want to go tack driving at distances spend upur pennies on a custom build.

The best advice I can give is to visit several shops and get a feel of a variety of rifles. See what YOU feel comfortable with. If you're a rifle club member, see if anyone will let you shoot theirs (or club guns). Doesn't matter what calibre they are, you're looking at what feels right with you behind it.

Most rifles will outshoot the shooter at normal distances given the right load and zero. Spend as much as you can on the scope though.

As previously mentioned, second hand .243's may be shot out (as could any rifle but .243 has a reputation for it). Get someone who know's what they're looking at to check. If you can shoot it and see how it performs.

ATB

Dave

as i said iam not looking for a 2nd hand 243 i am looking at the budget rifles new ,i have handled some of them just want to know if any one has had any problems with the howa or a-bolt any opinion son the a bolt as i cant find to play with locally,but they are as cheap as the howa are they any good?

i really cant be ***** messing around with an older(probaly better) rifle as i have plenty of them allready. :oops:

i agree with baldrick though about walnut stocks, all my other rifles have them but for £500 i dont expect one.

as i said iam not looking for a 2nd hand 243 i am looking at the budget rifles new ,i have handled some of them just want to know if any one has had any problems with the howa or a-bolt any opinion son the a bolt as i cant find to play with locally,but they are as cheap as the howa are they any good?

i really cant be ***** messing around with an older(probaly better) rifle as i have plenty of them allready. :oops:

i agree with baldrick though about walnut stocks, all my other rifles have them but for £500 i dont expect one.

Although it's in .223, I'm impressed with my Howa. Quality of build is very good. No extraction or cycling problems at all. There's no real play in the bolt and it's a tack driver. No reason why a .243 shouldn't be the same.

My .243 is a Parker Hale Pro Stalker. I got it new and it took me a year to get it working for me. I'm sorely tempted to get rid and get another Howa. In comparison to the Remy700's, I'd rate it on a par or slightly better. bear in mind that Howa build the Vanguard for Wetherby and use the same machinery to build the Howa's. You can use some Remy spares on them and even (with a wee bit of fiddling about) get the detachable mag kits to fit.

A lot of rifle for the price. Bus as I posted earlier, it's what works for you that's important. That one works for me.

There's a few interesting "new" but cheap .243's on guntrader.

There's a mauser on there as new as well - I thought they were more pricey - is that new sub £500 price a typo?

I am following this thread with interest because I have a .243 slot free and want to replace the tikka I had in .243 but don't want to go mad on the price because it won't have that much use (in between the .223 and .308). Also, I would like to buy new because it takes the guess work out of how old the rifle is and how long the barrel will last etc. Also as someone very astutely noted, the average cheap / budget new gun with tidy ammo and a decent scope will out shoot the shooter all day long :oops:

Edited by Mungler

There's a few interesting "new" but cheap .243's on guntrader.

There's a mauser on there as new as well - I thought they were more pricey - is that new sub £500 price a typo?

My P/H cost me £325 a few years ago. New in the box, No.1 of the last batch made. But it was a dog. So sub £500 isn't so rare. A new barrel needn't cost an arm and a leg. There must be plenty of gunsmiths/RFD's out there that take perfectly good factory barrels off .243's to replace them with custom jobbies. From thereon they're in the way so you may get one in pristine condition to fit an action with a shot out barrel.

I have a Howa 1500 in .243. It is a cracking workhorse, with a build quality way above its price. The Howa trigger is a bit heavy from the factory but is easily adjusted. The only thing I prefer about my Sako 85 is the removable mag.