Next shooting purchase ?

Cranfield

My list seems to be getting bigger by the day,new airgun arriving either tomorrow or monday,this needs a scope and also charging gear and then i think thats that sorted.Next month its a .22lr,sound moderator and another decient scope & mounts,oh and i suppose that will need another gunbag............oh and a sling...............oh and,well you get the picture :(  :thumbs:  :thumbs: and i'm also running a bit low on cartridges :D

My next purchase will be a rucksack to carry the mountain of gear i seem to have.

Sean,

I can recommend the Napier rucksacks. They are waterproof, tough and carry the weight well. They are also advantage timber camo rather than dayglo orange! I get all my deeks, nets, shells, food, etc in it. It has lots of little pockets to store the goodies that normally lurk in the bottom of your kit bag never to be seen again! I have the Ranger 4 model. I think I paid about £50 ot £60 for it at the game fair to give you an idea. I originally looked at used ex-army Bergens from the army surplus store but they were more money!

If interested, take a look at -

http://www.napieruk.com/gamebags.html

By the way, I'm in the market for some good looking flying decoys for my rotor, just to get me up and running until the real thing comes along. Unfortunately, the wife won't let me keep a couple in the freezer!  :(   :thumbs:

Any recommendations appreciated.

Hello all  :thumbs: - I've been lurking for a week or two but am now coming out of the closet!! :(

I went pigeon shooting for the first time today with a couple of very experienced old hands who gave me heaps of good advice. I arrived late about an hour before dusk and a torrential downpour and did not hit anything myself, but the bug has definately bitten!!!

Both of the gents I was shooting with today made up their own rotary magnet-decoy machines from scratch and car spares. I have neither the knowledge / mechanical skills / workshop to do this and would appreciate advice as to the best lightweight and quality device to buy.

BTW - what a great resource this is for the pigeon shooter :thumbs:

Thanks for the welcome :(

I've made too many cheapo purchases in the past that have been expensive in the long run!.

In this case I would like to spend as much as it takes to get it right first time and no more - and I reckon the opinion of experienced users is the only way to succeed in that respect!.

I picked up a cheap rotor at the Midland game fair £65.

Its a bit heavy and the battery 17AH is very heavy. I tend to drive to my position in the field or leave the rotor behind.

I think that most rotors work equaly well, it all comes down to weight, cost, and battery life.

Thinking about the weight of the rotor and battery life cranfield you say you get good life out of your 7ah battery with the pinewood is it because they have lightweight arms or they run on a lower ampage motor. Because if you think about it its only the arms that actualy put strain on the motor if you use n&s foam decoys the drain on the motor is less than if you use real pigeon.

I don,t have a clue why the battery lasts so long. :(

I sometimes start with foam decoys on the rotary, but change to real birds, as soon as they are available.

If the weather lets me plan a trip, I will take two frozen birds out of the freezer the night before and use those.

So its not "decoy" weight.

The motor must use less energy.

I am not the only Pinewood owner to comment on this .

Hi Gasman,

I too use a Pinewood. They perform the same function as the other rotors (except the flapping variety) except they are more portable and have fantastic battery life. I had a commercial wiper motor type before and consider the move to the pinewood one of my better choices.  :thumbs:

The Pinewood factory isn't too far from me so I went and collected it in person and had a look around. The two guys that run it were great, they were very helpful and we had a long chat.

They said the reason the battery last so long is they use a more effecient engineering motor and rely more on a gearbox than direct drive as per the wiper style. This enables them to produce a light low profile body (probably no more than three inches diameter) with incredible battery life on a single 12V/7ah battery. :(

My only concern was the new MKII style uses a corkscrew tipped single prong ground spike. The previous model had collapsable tripod arrangement for extra stability. I asked if I could have the tripod fitted to the MKII which they did. I feel more confident with the addition although I haven't used it without so it's probably OK.

Hope the info is useful

Tony, thanks for the explanation on the battery life.

I,m glad there is a technical reason and my battery doesn,t possess magical powers.  :(

I have the original model, with the 3 screw in tripod legs, you mention.

I think they are a great idea, but I,ve never needed them, even on frosted ground. :thumbs:

Thanks for the input folks - the Pinewood unit seems to have a lot of support. I've seen an ad on p44 of this weeks (16/1/03) Shooting times for a unit which claims to be the (ultimate rotary decoy machine". It claims a combination of lightweight and robustness.

Has anyone any experience of this machine or it's supplier??

I was contemplating "package 2".

Sean Johnston - re dealers of the Napier rucksacks. Page 51 of the current B.A.S.C magazine carries an advertisement for a "wheelie" type of bag, and a contact number for dealers. The phone number (sorry - no web page mentioned) is 01235 812993. Hope this is of help to you.

Martin

Hello gasman.I would go for a pinewood rotor for the simple reason that they are lightweight,compact,and going off what i have learned about them they seem to run for ever before you notice a reduction in speed and also they are £215.00 excluding battery.A12v7ah battery is roughly £13.00(yuasa type).I have built a wiper motor type rotor myself and feel unless you use a high ah battery your running time is a bit limited,but using a bigger battery also creates the extra weight problem. :(

Regards sean.