help from the anglers please...

mark_mjs93

ok so im not new to angling, im new to Pole fishing, and i am hoping to get my first pole (well i used to have a 4m telewhip but i never fished with it and it got broken) well i headed down the tackle shop today to have alook at what they had in stock (last went down two days before the end of season to buy a lure, then i caught my first pike, ACE) well, i went in (with mum) and i was having a good look around, had a good chat with the older fella that works there (absolutley ace fella) and we were chatting about how i was doing with fishing, and such, well i had a look at the poles, and originally i was looking for something around the 8m mark (because it was in my price range) well imagine how lucky i was to find a nice 11m pole with two top 2 kits (1 match) for £75 BRILL, like the sound of that, well i didnt have £75 in my pocket unfortunatley, (i only went down for a chat with the fella that works there and to look for a pole) well i was exstatic, i only picked up the name of it, not who it was by or whatever, well i got home and googled it and found out its a shakespeare, WIKID, well i havent got the money yet (sadly) but i should have it by the end of the week (the joys of garden work :hmm:) so i will head in next friday and buy it, it looks an ace pole, and by shakespear i expect nothing but extreme quality for money, but my question to you anglers is, have any of you PW anglers had any experience of this pole? im going fishing a week on monay to wold farm fisheries (a fisheries i have fished many times) and then i am hoping to head up to Lawn Farm fisheries in cambourne soon, so if anyone could tell me something about this pole it would be helpful... the poles details are below...

OMNI X 11m Power Pole

Elastic rating: 20

2 X top 2 kits 1 match kit

any info would be good...

and to save posting 2 threads, can someone explain to me, or link me a video tutorial, on how to play a fish in with a pole i would be greatful, im new to pole fishing (as i said) and i would like to brush up on my Info before even ATTEMPTING to catch a fish on an 11m pole, i know there is stuff to do with breaking the pole down to the elasticated top kit to play the fish but how would i go about doing this without messing up and either losing a fish, or losing part of my pole :D

thanks people

ATB

mark

:good:

I have no experience of that particular pole, but I am sure it will be just fine.

The sections of a pole push into each other , allowing you to select how far out you want to fish and enabling you to fish exactly the same spot if you wish (very useful if you are groundbaiting or feeding a spot).

When you hook a fish, you shorten the pole by removing the sections, until you have a length that enables you to land the fish, either by netting it, or swinging it in to hand (if its small).

hey cranfield, thanks for the help, i know about breaking the pole down, and about the sections, but i really want to know how the hell you start to play a fish with a pole thats say 11m long?

you know before i get the chance to break it down, the fishery im going to fish has carp to 30lb or so, if i was to hook say a 10lb mirror would i lift the pole right up to get the tension on him? or would i break the pole straight down to play him?

this is were i am confused, if someone could help it would be appreciated...

Hi

The pole you mention is ideal for carp bashing on commercial lakes. It will take a heavy elastic (upto 18/20) and as poles go its not the lightest so will take some mastering at full length. Did the guy in the shop sit you on a box for you to get a feel for the pole? If not you may wish to do this prior to parting with your cash. Also, many boxes come with a 'pole' seat these days which helps with positioning of the pole between your legs etc, dont be inclined to sit on it if you dont have a pole seat, they will crack/split etc.

Its a new discipline to you so I would start off not using it at its full length, master the principles of pole fishing first, then fishing at its full length will be less stressful etc. I would also start with normal match fishing as opposed to a commercial carp lake until you have the basics etc

As for playing a fish, let the elastic do the work, with experience you will get to know your pole and the elastic you have in it and its capabilities. You generally 'ship back' the pole and ship off to land the fish, the elastic and the fish will tell you where to ship off etc.

Above all, have fun, it can be very rewarding using a pole in the right conditions

thanks marcus you are a great help, he didnt sit me on a box, i have my own box, but i am hoping to update soon because im outgroing mine now (geting a bit tall) im hoping to upgrade to a (what i would call) "posh box" basically a nifty one with the draws compartments, and such, rather than the team shakespeare one i have right now, its good but i dont have the versatility and its getting a bit strainful on my back having to lean down to the ground to get my bait for the catty, so im hoping to upgrade sometime in the near future, to a ron tompson carbonite, this has a rock steady foot plate, and box (i have had a sit on that in the shop) i know my fishing pretty well but im just hoping to update and get with the times a bit, ill stick to using my rod and reel but like said, helpful for fishing up close to obstacles and snags, the carbonite also has the sideplate and adjustable leg height which will be helpful, it also has the extras you can pick up from tackle shops, ie; rod rests, keepnet attachments, polerollersandsuch which will be helpful if i need to pick up stuff, the fishery ill be fishing has several lakesand the one ill be fishing does have some big carp in it, but does have some smaller coarse species, tench, bream, roach, rudd etc etc, im hoping to head up to wold farm fisheries aswell soon which will be extremely helpful fun, i do love it up there, its a lovley fishery which is tucked away in some woods, near santa pod raceway and its a nice place with GREAT fish and decent tarrif, the only annoying bit is bait restrictions.....

You will totaly enjoy it

Always been a rod man myself since i was a kid then a couple of years ago i brought a cheap 11m Pole £40

Fishing the pole in the margins or tight to the lillies on a lake is the best fun i have had,

I can plonk the bait down where ever i want it and the tackle side is so light..Dont think i have ever fished it at full length

Using a whip on the river with red maggot is also good fun, catching the small silver fish and watching them go for the bait as it drops... :hmm:

Years ago my mate took me fishing down eastville park Bristol, and i had ago on his pole then and we were catching Tench non stop...the best thing was that the England boys were also fishing the lake and they were not catching anywhere near what we were catching and it was not long before we had a small audience and some comments about leaving some fish for them..... :lol::mad:

• 2 weeks later...
thanks marcus you are a great help, he didnt sit me on a box, i have my own box, but i am hoping to update soon because im outgroing mine now (geting a bit tall) im hoping to upgrade to a (what i would call) "posh box" basically a nifty one with the draws compartments, and such, rather than the team shakespeare one i have right now, its good but i dont have the versatility and its getting a bit strainful on my back having to lean down to the ground to get my bait for the catty, so im hoping to upgrade sometime in the near future, to a ron tompson carbonite, this has a rock steady foot plate, and box (i have had a sit on that in the shop) i know my fishing pretty well but im just hoping to update and get with the times a bit, ill stick to using my rod and reel but like said, helpful for fishing up close to obstacles and snags, the carbonite also has the sideplate and adjustable leg height which will be helpful, it also has the extras you can pick up from tackle shops, ie; rod rests, keepnet attachments, polerollersandsuch which will be helpful if i need to pick up stuff, the fishery ill be fishing has several lakesand the one ill be fishing does have some big carp in it, but does have some smaller coarse species, tench, bream, roach, rudd etc etc, im hoping to head up to wold farm fisheries aswell soon which will be extremely helpful fun, i do love it up there, its a lovley fishery which is tucked away in some woods, near santa pod raceway and its a nice place with GREAT fish and decent tarrif, the only annoying bit is bait restrictions.....

Your welcome, if you need any other tips / advice let me know.

Have you bought a pole yet ?

unfortunately no :blink: the tackle shop went out of stock the day before i went fishing :good: so for now im just waiting for them to get a new shipment in, im first on the reservation list, when they get more in im going to go in and buy one :hmm: im really looking forward to it... should be a fun new experience....