The mystical quest in finding land.

The_Craws

Hello there.

I've been around 10-12 farms today asking if it was all right to shoot vermin on their land and nobody even paused to consider it before turning me down. I used to go with my dad shooting about 5 years ago and it seemed to me to be much easier to acquire land for shooting back then. Much to my surprise that its completely changed and I was wondering what the main reason for this was, new legislation perhaps? I joined the BASC as a student member as well because I thought that was supposed to help illustrate that I take it seriously.

Does it just boil down to who you know? It seems to me that someone like myself that doesn't know any farmers or anyone else that shoots to be a major disadvantage in the quest for land.

I do absolutely respect the reasons to why some land owners may not be too keen to let a stranger onto their land wandering about loose with a loaded weapon dressed in camouflage gear but surely it cant be this difficult to find land?

Has anyone else found it really difficult?

Edited by The_Craws

Keep at it make sure you look respectable and presentable when you go round no cammo gear. As a teen Me and my m8 must have knocked on 1/2 the farms in the county b4 we got permission then it just snowballed from there. Always helps when you can say I shoot for such and such up the road please speak to him if you would like a referance. I apreciate that does not help you at the moment though. Try starting with I notice you have a lot of rabbits, pigeons squirels or what ever and then would you be intrested in me controling them for you maybe tell a little white lie that you do it else whare or you have done it else whare. The last thing the farmer wants is an inexperianced shot wandering around his land. Give lots of reasurances that you will respect his wishes and property and touch base with him every time b4 going out shooting on his land if that suits him. Also might be worth puting out a formal letter to local farms offering free pest control.

Dave

Hi- welcome to PW. Things have changed as you say. These days really it is you who is getting the favour from the farmer. So as Dave says- you need to talk to them with this in mind.

Put yourself in their shoes with a stranger coming up saying "Is it alright if I shoot some vermin on your land"... I would say no to that, and I am not suprised the farmers today did.

Don't worry about taking a knock back, it's all part of the learning process- try for some more farms with this advice in mind, and then when you get some permission build it up to a couple of farms before going back to the originals if you need/want more shooting, saying I shoot X's rabbits and pigeons, I noticed you have a rabbit problem on the field by X road as I drive that way to work (if you have a profession it helps add your credibility if not then no need to divulge)- I am a fully insured (if not- get it!) BASC/ CA member. I would of course ring you before to let you know of any days I plan to go out.....

Thanks for the welcome.

My thinking was that being straight forward and to the point would be beneficial :lol: What they said was after saying the swift no was to the effect of: "We already have a boy on here and I dont like to say to you..." so I was thinking that it might be some sort of law that your only allowed to have a certain number of people on your land shooting?

You definetly need to "dress for the part", as Dave says no cammo. Try dressing smart but not over smart. I would say that 80% of farmers i have spoken to have said yes. Then the real problems start when you have loads of acres to look after. Been on one of our "newish" farms today & been given another 60acres of barley. :lol:

Keep asking, keep trying!

One or two farmers I've spoken to recently are showing concern about the new right of access laws that have been passed in Scotland. Their not too keen on shooting now that the public are free to roam anywhere they want. My dad has had his own private third party liability insurance for several years now.

Where abouts in Ayrshire are you? I used to live there.

Mark.

:lol: rjimmer, great plan!

Mark, I think you have a point. One farmer I spoke to said that where his farm was situated; within a mile of a new forestry footpath. He could no longer shoot on his land because of the new free roaming laws as in theory the public could come off it and wander a mile through a thick forrest and through a river onto his land.

I'm in Ayr, do you know of anywhere I could try?! :lol:

Do you think it helps by telling the farmer you have insurance?

Do you live in the countryside? Are you familiar with farming? You can't do much about the first (not just to shoot pigeon, anyway!), but the second is easy. Read some books, talk to some farmers, get a job with a farmer/shoot/game dealer/anything connected with the countryside. Once you're known by a bunch of country people, you'll soon find shooting. But you may find - as I did - much more than shooting. :-D

Craws,

I used to live in Kilbirnie in north Ayrshire. the nearest farm to you that we regularly shot was at Dalry. The farmer was a very nice guy and we used to shoot quite a few Pigeons and crows as it was one of few farms in that area that grew some cereals, the area was mainly dairy. PM me if you want the address.

It's always worth adding that you are in BASC and therefore insured.

Mark :lol:

It's a shame that there seems to be very few "really keen" pigeon shooters that live around here. I've access to more land than you can shake a stick at and farmers who regularly phone up asking for someone to turn out to shoot. My only advice to you, Craws, is that, there are many farmers out there just waiting for someone like you to knock on their door. Just keep trying.

Craws,

All good advice has preceeded this post, get round all the Shooting Estates there, you have some cracking pigeon country around you. Talk to the head keepers, right now they shall bite your hand off for a bit of egg collecting in their rearing pens etc, next thing you know you'll be beating for them next season and things shall progress. I hail from Ayrshire and many moons ago got some shooting on spec at the Dutch House roundabout, big Barley fields on your left as you head for Killie, all good land around there, keep knocking, oh and Auchencruive may be worth a shout.

Good Luck

Hammy

Sounds like the moral of the story is to never give up, dress well and speak politely with dropping in that your covered for insurance.

Jim, I did live in the country until a few years back.

Hammy I was looking at those fields the other day just thinking about how good they are!

I've found that "Cold Calling" on Farmers is a waste of time, as they all have "regulars" who shoot their land.

The only way to be virtually assured of success is to pick up a flightline, follow it to where it ends, find out who owns / farms the field, approach them in person, not by phone or letter, and say that "I notice that there are a lot of woodies on your field of Rape/ Barley/Wheat/Lupins/ Asparagus..:thumbs:, or whatever, and would you mind if I went down there tomorrow to keep them off, just for the day..??"

The Farmer will inevitably reply "Well, i've got a couple of guys already controlling the pigeons, so i'd rather not", you then reply "Well, they're not there at the moment, and I assure you it will only be for a day".

Invariably the farmer will then give a qualified yes - it's then down to you to make sure that you do not make a mess of his fields or hedges, leave no litter, do not frighten livestock or ramblers, and ALWAYS make sure that you go back at the end of the day to see him and tell him how you've got on.

You then offer your contact details on a card, and most Farmers will respond "Come back whenever you like."

Always remember the Farmer on your Christmas bottle run, and remember the golden rule outlined above - DON'T BOTHER ASKING UNLESS THE PIGEONS ARE HAMMERING A PARTICULAR FIELD.

I used my neighbours farm as my first piece of land, that was easy as he lets my father shoot there as well. If you have a job in a supermarket (they seem to have a lot of small (100 acre) farmers working part time to help the money flow), try and get a rumour started. If you are just applying for a cert, get you boss to be a referance, thats what I did, and she offered my her land on the spot, and it was oly a couple of weeks before I got another farmer asking if I wanted to shoot his land.