Stillwater Trout

vole

I am taking a bloke fly fishing a small stillwater.He has not managed to catch yet but I told him he would 99% probably catch as I usually do well there. Even my 10 yr old girl catches when I take her there. Usual patterns are small black epoxy buzzers,gh grhe nymph,sussy buzzers when rising and dry Daddies late season. Any secret weapon type flies you chaps keep in the box for a May evening if I do turn out to be all talk? Cheers!

Have a look round and see what flies are about and what is hatching. Yesterday I was coarse fishing and lot of small black flies were about.

Dry a small black gnat on the top or a small black spider and see what happens.

You could also try a small dark or brown coloured cdc.

Likewise today I have been out fishing for 12 hours and saw no flies at all on the lake I was on.

Think it is a case of trial and error.

orange fritz seems to hit when all else fails

sometimes when its sunny let it sink to the bottom then slow retrieve figure of 8

or pull it over the surface.

a lime green hackled fly can be a killer for brownies if they are rising,

cast over their heads and fast retrieve.

if they are down try a cats whisker.

if they are sipping at the surface try a cull de canard dressed buzzer fished still tweaking occasionally.

thats the best i can offer, at this time of the year.

Went to Marton Heath near Macclesfield. I caught 2 on Shipmans and the lad I took got a few bites which is more than he has had before. I let him try to land one I had connected to with my rod but it came off. I think now he has had the feel of an angry trout he will keep up the hobby.When he learns to cast I will get him on the stretches of my club river.Thing is I keep thinking of the hoardes of crows and rabbits attacking the farm I shoot on so will concentrate on that the next couple of weeks.Never thought anything would come between me and my fishing.

Glad your mate had a good day and your not the only one who sits there sizing up the shooting when your fishing either! I do the same.

I only ever went to have a look round Marton Heath, the guy was so obnoxious it was untrue .I had my dog in the car with me and had gone for a drive out, he immediately said carnt take your dog but I said I had been only for a drive and had been trying to find the place just for a look. Dog had stayed firmly in the car.

Next time I visited he had a match on and and was equally obnoxious to me, I have never been back since.

Someone else I know who is a very very good flyfisher was catching well and he kept coming down and examing his hooks all the time. He was equally obnoxious to him as well and he has not been back. Lots of others I know same the same as well.

I now drive either to a trout fishery in Mobberley or I drive to LLandegla near Wrexham.

Edited by Jan147