Ther'e on the peas around here now..

Farma Geddon

Had a good couple of hours after work Thursday night.Put several off the field and scared the rest off the ploughed work. They came back and decoyed really well..

Two to three leaves on each pea plant.

Can't get out 'till the afternoon Saturday,but have another place lined up..Good luck,Farma

Watched a constant stream of birds hitting on a pea field yesterday at Bourton on the Water, while I was trout fishing Santhill fishery in a boat.

2 s and 3 s every 5 minutes or so, despite about 4 sets of gas guns going off every 15 minutes in the vacinity. The birds were just setting off and circling in a large arc and then setting down again. By 6 in the evening one flock of about a 5 or 6 hundred birds took to the air.

I went down to the field after fishing and had a look to see bare patches in the field big time, but...... not only were there pigeons on it, also various ducks and about 20 Canada geese which must have been attracted from "Birdland" one of the attractions at Bourton just a stones throw away.

I must find out who the Farmer is cus he wont be harvesting much of a pea crop at this rate.

FM.

when will they be hitting the beans

i keep looking but only see the odd one or two but there are loads still on the osr just down the road and on a grass field near by (niether of which i have permision :rolleyes: )

the bean fields are around 160 acres in total but nothig WHY

cheers shawn

Had another good go this afternoon,this time on freshly drilled barley or some such..They were actually hitting a newly drilled pea field I couldn't go on and I was decoying and flighting as they were to and fro .38 from three fifteen to five forty five and four rooks.

Clear pigeon certainly smoke 'em.Farmageddon

I got a call from a farmer this morning "60 acre pea field, blue with pigeons". :rolleyes:

Not! :o

I didn't get a sniff.

Hi malc,

What no pigeon or the ******* wouldn't decoy.

I shoot around A1 N YORKS.

Struggling to find a decent number of pigeons anywhere up here.

Peas in my area,Perthshire,are just surfacing and are V. vunerable at the mo.Bird No`s are starting to build and I had a small day,4 hrs,yesterday picked 24 and lost 3 in the river(Tay)no dog and even if I had it wouldn`t have been sent as they were all mid river and away in seconds.I agree with FM(for once :wacko: )beans lose there appeal after sowing until harvest,but peas are a differant matter they are high on the list of pigeon faves from start to finish.Hope friday is windy as me and a mate are off for a full day,will let you wage slaves know how it goes :lol:

Shawn after their initial interest in the beans after sowing the next time for any action is not until they are ripe and spilling from their pods.

Have had some great shooting on beans after harvesting but they don't go for the green plants.

Henry d, I think you are too flattering to FM, think it was me who said it. :wacko:

One of my farmer contacts called me Tuesday evening to say he had nearly 1000 pigeons ripping into some rape (had been hit previously and is well back). Went out yesterday for a look and a quick shoot and sure enough the birds were there in numbers (mostly one big flock) BUT they soon left the rape to settle on some set aside (chickweed???) and when I put them off that they settled on a field of newly planted beans (beans definitely not peas) where they stayed the rest of the afternoon. These's are all fairly big fields. Wouldn't you know it I didn't have permission to shoot the bean field but when I mentioned it to the farmer that evening he said no problem and got it for me. Role on Saturday I'll have another go.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out with my shooting buddy, Pete K yesterday, after a couple of hours looking round, we found loads hitting the peas. Set up at 2pm & as we were putting the deeks out they were wanting to come down! No sooner had we got into the hide the shooting started, the end bag when we decided to pack up at 7 was

84! they were still all around as we were packing up. Eley clear pigeon-top cartridge! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I shot the pea field today that I mentioned in this thread about a month ago. Very warm and so windy that I had to turn my swooper around as it kept doing back flips and my hide kept blowing in on me. A really good late afternoon session though. The birds presented themselves in absolute text-book fashion. Final count for 2 hours shooting was 35.

went out today with wacker and set up on the peas and had a really **** first part to the day only shooting 10 , at three packed up and moved to the other side which is right next to a race horse paddock :< so no 12g had to use the hushpower .410 we each have , we did not stop shooting until we ran out of carts which was about 250 between us and ended with 60+ which is not a good ratio but bloody good sport .

pete