Americans?

LeeinVA

Because that is the way the American version of English is spelled. It was a deliberate decision made by Noah Webster (he of Webster's Dictionary fame) to make that change, he was really very keen on distancing the US from England.

Before the advent of print and dictionaries there was very little standardisation on spelling on either side of the pond.

Or standardization. :D

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It`s interesting to note that Webster appears to have taken the decision to butcher the English language entirely off his own back. But for his misguided efforts Americans might still spell correctly.

I think I know the reason why U.S. weights and measures are fractionally smaller than their Imperial counterparts. It makes everything American look bigger,wider, faster or heavier, on paper.

Only the pint is different surely, in being 16 fluid ounces as opposed to the UK 20 oz. As far as I can recall all the others are the same.

As for the UK pint, that only settled on 20 oz comparatively recently, for many years both the 16 and the 20 were in common use.

Regarding the language, that has changed constantly on both sides, much of the English spoken in the USA is as it was 200 years ago and it is on this side that things had shifted more until recently.

Edited by john_r

Only the pint is different surely, in being 16 fluid ounces as opposed to the UK 20 oz. As far as I can recall all the others are the same.

As for the UK pint, that only settled on 20 oz comparatively recently, for many years both the 16 and the 20 were in common use.

Regarding the language, that has changed constantly on both sides, much of the English spoken in the USA is as it was 200 years ago and it is on this side that things had shifted more until recently.

No there are many differences between American measurements and UK imperial, pints gallons, miles and the measurement that makes 2 contestants from the boonies a world championship :D

No there are many differences between American measurements and UK imperial, pints gallons, miles and the measurement that makes 2 contestants from the boonies a world championship :D

Well the gallon is of course based on the pint so that goes without saying, but the miles are the same.

Oh yes copiously! Usually when there are no Americans around :rolleyes:

Right, so when i come for a visit you will be ****** off for two weeks ;) I guess we can use this as a guide to tell when you really do like a bloke :lol:

Right, so when i come for a visit you will be ****** off for two weeks ;) I guess we can use this as a guide to tell when you really do like a bloke :rolleyes:

Now Lee, you know I won't be able to smile wide enough when you come for a visit, you know you are welcome anytime, but then again, you're a Norwegian mongrel, so you don't count as a proper Sherman :lol::D:)

Now Lee, you know I won't be able to smile wide enough when you come for a visit, you know you are welcome anytime, but then again, you're a Norwegian mongrel, so you don't count as a proper Sherman :rolleyes:;):D

Be off with ya then you overly friendly curmudgeon :) Now, if only i could get my internal Mic to work on Skype :lol:

You curmudgeon you, and here's me off out with the 1000 yard 17 hmr. Be nice to speak to you agin soon bro :rolleyes:

It has right wide open *** of late.. I did Pm Davie, and Shot shot the other night, Robert while i supposed to be working, but the bottom line is i need a new Mic.. Michelle has got me busy in the yard with the landscaping, we planted 20 new perennials yesterday and to day she wants me to build another work bench in the garage. One her height so she can work in the garage :lol: She is a crazy lass, but a good one no question.. Did i ever tell you boys that i am so good in bed i scream my own name ;)

It has right wide open *** of late.. I did Pm Davie, and Shot shot the other night, Robert while i supposed to be working, but the bottom line is i need a new Mic.. Michelle has got me busy in the yard with the landscaping, we planted 20 new perennials yesterday and to day she wants me to build another work bench in the garage. One her height so she can work in the garage :lol: She is a crazy lass, but a good one no question.. Did i ever tell you boys that i am so good in bed i scream my own name ;)

I had heard that when you have sex you are mostly on your own :rolleyes:

There is much to be learned from each side to be honest, and much is misunderstood. I forget who it was, but someone did say we are two great nations separated by a common language.

As for my own point of view, hard to pin it down to be frank. I am split between the two countries in many ways, my Dad is American and my Mum is British. If it was not for a fire in their apartment while I was still in the womb I would have been born in Philly. They lost everything in the fire, Dad was between jobs at the time, so almost in panic he returned to the US Navy for a couple more tours, and she flew back to stay with her Mum here in UK and that is why I was born here. I was back in the USA within weeks, but those early few years are just too long ago and I don't remember them. Once my sister came along the decision was made to stay in the UK, and eventually my Dad left the Navy and settled here.

I have been back so many times I cannot recall, both for family visits and for work, and seen 39 of the 50 States. I even married someone who is also half US and half Brit. I have a huge affinity for the USA, but if I am honest, if I could choose anywhere in the world to live, on an unlimited budget, it would be neither UK nor USA. If I ever did settle in the US, I guess family would draw me towards the East Coast, but I am not sure where I would choose other than that.

Both countries are very self-contradictory, with so many good intentions that fall flat. Both peoples are extremely varied from one area to another, despite how different the two countries are in size. I have US friends who cannot believe there is more than one UK accent, and are stunned when I point out the difference between accents even from one side of London to another. Both countries are very much media driven, of course the US is more so, but the UK is catching up rather too fast.

There have been some great comments in this thread, maybe we should have one that helps dispel misconceptions about the Brits!