Americans?

LeeinVA

I stayed in Fairfax Virginia for 6 weeks and thought it was class. Some really good patient people (couldn't understand me talking really quick) and seemed willing to go out of their way for me. The only thing that has me perplexed about the States is why it hogs all the good food? Like I can't walk into my local Tesco and buy a tube of cookie dough or a box of Lucky Charms, or an extra large Rice Krispy marshmallow bar that's about the size of a rabbit! Lee you could make a fortune off me if you agreed to export the above mentioned :hmm: lol

You really cant get that stuff over the pond?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now peanut butter sandwiches and milk I agree with but fried.... that is just a strange thought dude. Do you eat badger roadkill as well?

Badger is too rough, but Possum? Now thats the **** :hmm:

Edited by LeeinVA

Nope :hmm: The worst about it is that Lucky Charms have a leprachaun on them. It's like an Irish cereal but it's no longer available here?? Strange. And as for a tube of cookie dough (love it raw), it's like trying to find a girl in a public school who wears large hoop earrings whilst chewing gum that isn't pregnant!

any country that gives us bruce springstien gets my vote.don,t get to attached to you homeland we only lent it you.when we finish ruining this place we want it back.

You can have him mate.. Culture club is whats happening :hmm:

Nope :P The worst about it is that Lucky Charms have a leprachaun on them. It's like an Irish cereal but it's no longer available here?? Strange. And as for a tube of cookie dough (love it raw), it's like trying to find a girl in a public school who wears large hoop earrings whilst chewing gum that isn't pregnant!

Should you need anything shoot me a PM :hmm:

I would say the Americans I have met have been mostly great people, a couple of jerks but you get that everywhere. I like the fact I can wear my shorts and T shirt in Las Vegas in December, but why close all the outdoor swimming pools? I am not so keen on cars that have to go round corners at 15mph or the fact that the price on the label goes up at the till, why not have the price with all the sales / state taxes on it to begin with? However y'all don't get it when Brits ask you if you are Australian, and you could do with being less insular and stop trying to be the worlds policeman. Not to keen on the dollar being the worlds reserve currency and the fact that gold, silver and oil are priced in dollars. :hmm: However I can't wait to visit America again, the wide open spaces, women, patriotism, family values, politeness, friendliness and gun ranges where extremely enjoyable last time, I can't wait to see more of your country. :P

Hi Lee and Jim

i met some fantastic people whilst I was in the middle east, my ex worked for Aramco and at the weekends would invite them over.

I was warned before hand not to say anything bad about John Wayne when a texan visited and could they drink and did not seem to have any realisation as to what time to go to bed. But they were really nice people.

Can I ask - dont very little about your civil war but have watched quite a few films.

You have the two sides in the civil war - why did the war start?

which side is which - one wears grey and other blue.

Is the country still divided by this?

Jan

I'll put in my take on it, Lee mentioned he was involved in reenacting so he might have some better or different information than I do plus I am from the North and Lee is from the South so I'm sure he'll have a different perspective.

The most common misconception about the American Civil War is that is was about slavery. Slavery was a strong component but it was truly about the rights of individual state to govern themselves. Several of the states seceded from the Union of States or United States and formed what was known as the Confederacy. These states were mostly in the southern US. Those were the boys in the Gray uniforms. The northern states were known as the Union and remained loyal to the president of the United States and the Federal government. They wore the blue uniforms.

As far as the country being divided, folks in the north don't think so, but I think there are some folks in the south who wouldn't mind having another go at the north.

I'll put in my take on it, Lee mentioned he was involved in reenacting so he might have some better or different information than I do plus I am from the North and Lee is from the South so I'm sure he'll have a different perspective.

The most common misconception about the American Civil War is that is was about slavery. Slavery was a strong component but it was truly about the rights of individual state to govern themselves. Several of the states seceded from the Union of States or United States and formed what was known as the Confederacy. These states were mostly in the southern US. Those were the boys in the Gray uniforms. The northern states were known as the Union and remained loyal to the president of the United States and the Federal government. They wore the blue uniforms.

As far as the country being divided, folks in the north don't think so, but I think there are some folks in the south who wouldn't mind having another go at the north.

Well put Jim.. I have already sent Ms. Jen a PM telling her the truth about the war of Northern aggression :P We were pretty much word for word.. I described you as a Yankee and i being a repressed southern gentleman :hmm: Sound about right Jim :lol:

Something that strikes me as odd, probably a stereotype we have here.

Many of you have mentioned how polite everyone was in the US. I've always understood that British society was fairly formal and good manners were very important and common. Is this true or have I watched too many episodes of Are You Being Served?

Jim

Many of you have mentioned how polite everyone was in the US. I've always understood that British society was fairly formal and good manners were very important and common. Is this true or have I watched too many episodes of Are You Being Served?

Jim

Never saw any semblance of that on faulty towers or Dr. who :hmm:

I do like taters, but i have read about the great phone book famine of the 1850's :P

Yes indeed! But we have evolved you know :hmm: Between 1845 and 1850 around 2 million people died because of the famine. Wonder how many of them were from eating dodgey burger king fries? We now have an abundance of spudlers knocking about so if ya want any.......

Danny

Yes indeed! But we have evolved you know :P Between 1845 and 1850 around 2 million people died because of the famine. Wonder how many of them were from eating dodgey burger king fries? We now have an abundance of spudlers knocking about so if ya want any.......

Danny

And you can make alckeehol with it too :hmm:

Jim

The politeness and manners seem to have vanished in large parts of the UK over the last decade or more. There are still people who are polite and well mannered, but it seems the majority of my generation aspire to be hostile, aggresive, foul mouthed ne'er do wells.

Edited by Disco Stu

Well put Jim.. I have already sent Ms. Jen a PM telling her the truth about the war of Northern aggression :P We were pretty much word for word.. I described you as a Yankee and i being a repressed southern gentleman :hmm: Sound about right Jim :lol:

LOL...great minds think alike.

I can guarantee that I have a repression free background. At the time of the war the Mooneys were still rabble rousing in Keadue, Ireland, no doubt drinking lots of beer and being handsome (a tradition I uphold to this day :lol: )

My aunt relocated to North Carolina about 10 years ago and she has a sign on her front porch that reads:

"We weren't born in the south, but we got here as fast as we could"

The politeness and manners seem to have vanished in large parts of the UK over the last decade or more. There are still people who are polite and well mannered, but it seems the majority of my generation aspire to be hostile, aggresive, foul mouthed ne'er do wells.

But then again dude that can be any large city here in the US..

I have some very fond memories of Americans from the 80's when I was exporting to England, Harley Davidsons, Jeeps, Mag lights, used Levi's from penal institutions, Engineers Boots and most American produce that is good stuff. Quality never goes out of fashion, and all this kit is still popular over here today.

Trouble was I think someone was watching me, and by the early 90's these things were no longer lucrative, as everyone started doing it, even Harley Davidson opened loads of shops over here.

Here are some of the endearing phrases I learnt from Americans.

"I live just down the road" means 400 miles away, at least.

"take the next left off the highway" really means that bumpy dirt track not the tarmac road.

"I live in the first house on the right" means the first wooden shack on the left.

"come and meet my cute little pet" can sometimes be a 15ft gaitor.

"your ok, he wont bite", is a bare faced lie.

"he's only playing with yah", doesn't make it any better.

"it's in quite good conditition" means it's pristine.

"I only have small sizes left" means 40" waist, and some.

"there are only a few left" means a barn full.

"I dont want much for it" means get drunk with me and you can have it.

"lets pop into that family diner for a quick bite" means make sure your stomach is empty as you are just about to eat enough to feed a small state in Africa.

"this will only take a few minutes" is American for a day.

When told by an American to be there at 10 in the morning, be sure you clarify which day, before you drive the 400 miles, at least.

When told by an American to be there at 10 in the morning, be prepared to wait till the evening.

"slow down for this bend because the steering is shot" actually means the steering is not working.

As the years passed and relationships were built, I found that although Americans can drink you stupid on spirits, they are a cheap date when they come here and drink our beer. The truth is they can't.

"when you come to see me tonight in Miami, be sure to keep your car doors locked", was the best advice I have ever been given.

I met some real good people during the time I spent in the States, they're not that different, after all, they all came from Europe originally anyway.

Yes, fond memories, much more than I can put here. I have all the time in the world for Americans.

Edited by Jim Sarakun