Americans?

LeeinVA

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stayed in Fairfax Virginia for 6 weeks and thought it was class. Some really good patient people (couldn't understand me talking really quick)

That's not just the Yanks.

We lived in Herts for 2 years, I really had to slow down and pronounce all

my words properly. They don't seem to understand "I'm away swimmin' this

weekend", but do get "I'm away swimming this weekend"!

Very frustrating.

It's nice to be living in Scotland now (apart from the cold) as I'm back to full

speed with mumbling and am fully uinderstood!

Nial (also from Belfast).

Tell you what son? Once you take a nip of 'o'be joyful' you wont never be the same again.. Puts hair on your ******** :hmm:

use to get jars of it from my brother inlaw in N.Carolina, i have tried it,didnt like it,and i can still get it here in the UK,we can make it too,its still rotten stuff,taistless too

Dare I say it... I have also travelled and worked all over the states and found them to be some of the nicest people I have met, also I work with americans all the time and in fact work for an american company and the general thing I find is they do things slightly better in the field I am in, I think alot of the negative comments are born from jealousy, also some people in the UK (which is an extremely small country) do not realise the wide spread of people and personalities in the states..

on the other side of the coin alot of the people from the states do have a proplem with geography outside of the states....

My top place in the states was Louisiana or Texas all though I haven't been back to Louisiana since the hurricane visited...

Regards,

Gixer1

Damn, this is a long topic Lee. Haven't had a chance to read all of the replies but for now, some of the ones I did read are pretty good.

:P:hmm: And I always thought the first man on the moon was Apollo Creed!

Fat and stupid but they certainly know how to make great movies

Jonno

Yeah, but it's not the fat & stupid ones that actually make the movies. They usually have popcorn in something the size of a wheelie bin and smothered in some kinda god awful goo.

One thing I heard about Americans, notably from the southern states, is - What's the last thing a redneck says before he dies?

"Hey y'all! Watch this!"

Damn, this is a long topic Lee. Haven't had a chance to read all of the replies but for now, some of the ones I did read are pretty good.

:P:hmm: And I always thought the first man on the moon was Apollo Creed!

Yeah, but it's not the fat & stupid ones that actually make the movies. They usually have popcorn in something the size of a wheelie bin and smothered in some kinda god awful goo.

One thing I heard about Americans, notably from the southern states, is - What's the last thing a redneck says before he dies?

"Hey y'all! Watch this!"

We start our nursery ryhmes different too? You would would start 'Once upon a time' and I would start it with 'Y'all arnt going to believe this ****!' :lol:

"Hey y'all! Watch this!"

Trust me, we use that one up north too - I have the scars to prove it.

The other version is: "Hold my beer for a second, I wanna show ya somethin'"

I still want to know what is with Ohio.

Did Ya'll just throw that in to mess with peoples heads? Cause ya know it just dont make sence.

NTTF

Nothing wrong with Ohio. We in the surrounding states like to poke fun at it though as it has a reputation for being bland, they don't have much exciting going on there.

Not like Pennsylvania where I live, we've got all kinds of stuff, some of might be a sore subject here though. Almost all of it was made famous by what I believe you fine folks call "The War of the Insurrection" :hmm:

This topic is growing faster than I can read it!!

I've visit the US a couple of times and found everyone to be unbelievably friendly... Was in Orlando a couple of years ago at a trade exhibition, and at the time there was also a surfing/skating exhibition on so loads of the surf dudes and skater boys were staying in the same hotel. One evening I was in the bar of the hotel minding my own business (trying to get my head around the superbowl which was on TV at the time) and a surfer girl came over and complimented me on my t-shirt, incidentally I liked hers too, so we promptly swapped our tops in the middle of the bar... (everyone was engrossed in the Superbowl so no one noticed this) Next she introduced me to some of her friends, and we all spent the night drinking together, ending up in the outdoor pool until the early hours... An EXCELLENT night... This ABSOLUTELY would not have happened with a bunch of British girls on a night out, who compared with the Americans are in general complete and utter bitches.

Another thing I noticed about these girls was how little alcohol they drank - and they were shocked by the amount I drank considering I had meetings all the next day. (I'm ashamed to say that I was actually taking it easy that night because of the meetings the next morning!)

The Southerners speak very slowly.

Once when I asked for a cup of tea, the lady asked ''What flavour?'' so I said ''Tea flavour'' so she asked "Do you mean Vanilla?" I had a coffee instead.

Ah yes... Tea.

It always messes me up when I go to Florida on business. Next time I am taking a big box of PG with me so that I know I will have a decent cuppa and not the godawful rubbish they have in the office or the hotel.

And can someone please tell me why "breakfast potatoes"? Nothing else, just why?

This topic is growing faster than I can read it!!

I've visit the US a couple of times and found everyone to be unbelievably friendly... Was in Orlando a couple of years ago at a trade exhibition, and at the time there was also a surfing/skating exhibition on so loads of the surf dudes and skater boys were staying in the same hotel. One evening I was in the bar of the hotel minding my own business (trying to get my head around the superbowl which was on TV at the time) and a surfer girl came over and complimented me on my t-shirt, incidentally I liked hers too, so we promptly swapped our tops in the middle of the bar... (everyone was engrossed in the Superbowl so no one noticed this) Next she introduced me to some of her friends, and we all spent the night drinking together, ending up in the outdoor pool until the early hours... An EXCELLENT night... This ABSOLUTELY would not have happened with a bunch of British girls on a night out, who compared with the Americans are in general complete and utter bitches.

Another thing I noticed about these girls was how little alcohol they drank - and they were shocked by the amount I drank considering I had meetings all the next day. (I'm ashamed to say that I was actually taking it easy that night because of the meetings the next morning!)

The Southerners speak very slowly.

Once when I asked for a cup of tea, the lady asked ''What flavour?'' so I said ''Tea flavour'' so she asked "Do you mean Vanilla?" I had a coffee instead.

Ah yes... Tea.

It always messes me up when I go to Florida on business. Next time I am taking a big box of PG with me so that I know I will have a decent cuppa and not the godawful rubbish they have in the office or the hotel.

And can someone please tell me why "breakfast potatoes"? Nothing else, just why?

Ahhh....hash browns. Don't know the why, just always been that way.

For you lads and lasses having tea trouble. Try asking for "English Breakfast" I believe that's pretty close to what ya'll are used to.

Myself I like Earl Gray....drink it by the gallon in the winter.

Jim, not hash browns. They are a perfectly acceptable brekkie addition the morning after a heavy night. I'm talking about bits of boiled spud fried with peppers, onions, tomatoes and other stuff. I had assumed that it was a national thing, but I guess it could just be something from Florida.

Earl Grey is a bit poncey. You need to get some proper builders' tea. Something that _needs_ four sugars in, something that will melt the spoon if you leave it in. I'll try and get hold of some Happy Shopper Tea. That's always a firm favourite.

Nothing wrong with Ohio. We in the surrounding states like to poke fun at it though as it has a reputation for being bland, they don't have much exciting going on there.

Not like Pennsylvania where I live, we've got all kinds of stuff, some of might be a sore subject here though. Almost all of it was made famous by what I believe you fine folks call "The War of the Insurrection" :cry1:

Nope We call that " the time we whupped those silly Yankie butts back across the ditch :look:

I do enjoy Pennsylvania, some of the finest grouse hunting to be had. Mind you running coon hounds on those "hills" of yours can be a little tiresome :cry1:

NTTF

Nope We call that " the time we whupped those silly Yankie butts back across the ditch :look:

I do enjoy Pennsylvania, some of the finest grouse hunting to be had. Mind you running coon hounds on those "hills" of yours can be a little tiresome :cry1:

NTTF

Oh, you mean the 'Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while' war :cry1:

:cry1::cry1::cry1:

The only war ever fought on Canadian soil, and I hope the only one ever to be fought.

Besides we dont hold grudges and we let you Blue and Grey Bellies come on up and visit :cry1:

NTTF

The only problem i have with canada is Quebec :look: