canon ixus30

fert

can anybody help me i reasentley bought a canon ixus 30.but after carrying it around in my pocket whilst out in the field managed to get sand in an it wont take pictures anymore. took it back to jessops where i bought it and yhey sent it back to canon. canon quoted £140 to have it cleaned. bit steep your thinking especially when you can buy a brand spanker for £170. the only reason i bought this camera is its size and so i could post a few piccys. but to no avail because the pictures it takes are massive and i cant resize them. if anyone knows anything about mending cameras any advice would be very gratefull.

Fert ,

If you have nothing to lose by taking your camera apart , I would start by removing the plastic/metal casing , you may need to get some jewellers screwdrivers and then go to maplins or an electronics shop and buy a tin of compressed air then try to blow out the sand that way , but I would blow from a distance as there may be some pressure behind the air . In the meantime keep the camera in a warm place for a couple of days to dry up any sand/moisture in it .

If no joy I would do a search on google for camera forums and post on one of those sites as it has bound to have happened to someone else .

Check your Home Contents Insurance.

A lot of Policies cover items, damaged away from the home.

The camera won't take "small" pictures.

You resize the pictures using Photoshop/ similar programme, or the software that came with the camera.

A good free programme is Ifranview, you can download it here,

http://www.irfanview.com/

check your home policy to see if you are covered first

as regards taking smaller pictures you should be able to change the quality at which you take them on the camera, or if you get a photobucket account it automatically resizes images that are too big for it

£140 to clean it!!!!!!!!! Methinks they are taking the P1$$.

http://search.dooyoo.co.uk/search/prices/C...+30+BeFid-7185/

I have one of these-

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/digital-camera/fuj...epix-2600-zoom/

Mine is actually the A204, but they haven't got one of those in store.

Takes really good pictures and comes with a zoom. :rolleyes:

G.M.

Edited by Gemini

A Handy Tip......

Always carry your camera in a padded carrying case. I have a Cannon Ixus430 that cost me over 300 quid.... They can be an expensibve comodity, those digi cameras........ gotta look after them.

Paul in North Lincs

tell me about it next one i get i will probabley buy one of those waterproof cases so you can take piccys under water. that will keep the dust and sand out.ive only took about 20 photos with this camera which really ****** me off. you would think they would supply you with a carrying case anyway. :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
Guest pigeonbasher

hi ive just bought, a canon ixus iis from a guy on bbs , smashing piece of kit,

and would like a spare battery anyone know where i can by one,:thumbs:?:)??

The only thingn i can advise mate is if you still have the camera then see if it is held together by screws or the manufactures own screw head shape, some times they use philips headed screws or use the other stupid ones that you need the special tools for, but if you can open the camera and spray electrical cleaning spray into it leave it to dry then try it, i used it when i left my brand new mobile phone in my trouser pocket then my dad wahed them and that packed up till i opened it and used some of that spra, i think it's called electrical switch cleaner

I dropped my digital camera into 18 inches of sea water in february this year on a wildfowling trip to scotland, when i got home and endured the pain of having to explain what i had done to the wife, and that all the photos from last years holls were still on the memory card, i checked on the home insurance and yes the camera was coverd, so that part only cost me £80 with excess and an upgrade to a better camera. Luck must have been on my side as the memory card was fine and all the picks from the holls came out ok. So check on your home insurance before opening the camera.

can anybody help me i reasentley bought a canon ixus 30.but after carrying it around in my pocket whilst out in the field managed to get sand in an it wont take pictures anymore. took it back to jessops where i bought it and yhey sent it back to canon. canon quoted  £140 to have it cleaned. bit steep your thinking especially when you can buy a brand spanker for £170. the only reason i bought this camera is its size and so i could post a few piccys. but to no avail because the pictures it takes are massive and i cant resize them. if anyone knows anything about mending cameras any advice would be very gratefull.

YOU COULD Sell it on eBay. Put a nicely written disclaimer as the foot note blah blah about its an auction etc etc

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357

• 2 months later...

Have you got the infamous E18 error - the camera switches itself straight off and says E18 in the bottom left corner of the screen? It's caused by dust getting into the zoom mechanism in the lens and there are plenty of search results on Google for people with broken Canon digital compacts and es[ecially the E18 error. Most people just throw the camera away and get a new one that isn't made by Canon.

Edited by BlazeofGlory

Have you got the infamous E18 error - the camera switches itself straight off and says E18 in the bottom left corner of the screen? It's caused by dust getting into the zoom mechanism in the lens and there are plenty of search results on Google for people with broken Canon digital compacts and es[ecially the E18 error. Most people just throw the camera away and get a new one that isn't made by Canon.

yes it is the dreaded e18 error and yes i have chucked the camera into a corner and forgot about it. and brought myself alympus c-765 ultra zoom. ******** to canon ???