Huntiing Seal

Blaser

Hi Blaser. Interesting, to see a quarry that wouldn't normally be shot here and learn of practices in other countries. Seal are legally protected here, although licences are sometimes issued (mainly in Scotland I think??) for fishermen to shoot them to protect fish stocks when their numbers start to get out of hand.

How do you hunt them, are they wary, do you always shoot from a boat at a seal in the water or do you stalk them on the shore?

Can you eat them?

You shoot them in the water, in the head or if they are on the rocks, sunbathing, you can stalk them over the island.

You dont shoot from the boat, you get on land and wait, they are very curious so the heads will come up and you have to make a good shot.

The one in the boat have to be fast to get it before it went down.....

But scuba gear is not far away so no problem.....

Last year in april in very cold water......

And you can eat them, very good to eat...

Olsen

post-36-1244363613.jpg

post-36-1244363639.jpg

A collegue of mine told me a story of a friend of his in the north of Scotland who was using scuba gear to spear fish. He surfaced and heard a couple of zinging noises very very close by. He took a few moments to realise it was some idiot on the shore who had mistaken him for a seal and was taking pot shots!!

it wasn't when the forum went down was it :yp:

not much differenct to shooting a deer standing still or a rabbit doing the same sporting wise, its just we're brainwashed to think seals are cute and cudly and don't need their numbers managed.

I was fishing on the Wye the other week and the owner of the beat told me that it is legal to shoot seals on some parts of the British Isles coastline, and that there is a closed "season" and an open one too. Does anyone know if this is true?

ft

Edit; I have emailed Defra about this as it interests me, I want to find out what is legal.

Edited by flytie

• 1 month later...

I have watched this topic from the start and I think now, is a good time to say my piece, like it or not.

I have recently retired from being a fisherman, and seals are a great problem to those who use static gear (nets and pots). The damage they can do is incredible, because, surprisingly to some, they are very intelligent and will “use” fishing gear. They will drive fish into nets, then rip the fish out, destroying the nets, they will destroy pots, to get at the bait.

I have the ability to shoot seals on my FAC, but only from nominated boats and as the FEO “asked”, only to shoot seawards. Seems a bit odd, when, if I was shooting from the shoreline, all shots are seawards…..ah well!

I do not consider it a “sport”, shooting basking seals from 40 yds, ok, maybe good for your ego, but mine is just a job.

You want to try shooting them from a boat, not a rock, then you may just find it a “little” harder.

Yes, it is legal to shoot seals in the UK if they are attacking static gear, as far as fishermen are concerned, but it HAS to be on your licence.

It´s not alowed to shoot seals from a boat in Sweden.

Way make it harder at the risk of just wonding the seal?

There is a licence, and a limited number of seals to shoot, acording to how much damage they do on fishing gear.

The rock we shoot from is in the middle of the fishing area.

And yes, it´s just not a "sport", we do it partly for the survivel of fishing.