Apart from the blindenly obvious

SXPhil

Why have I never seen a clay shooter with a side by side

You have never seen a clay shooter wielding a side-by-side, because you are visiting the wrong clay ground. A side-by-side (preferably one passed down through one's family and barely in proof), a hacking jacket and rather sudden tweed plus-eights are obligatory when shooting clays. I'm amazed nobody has told you sooner. Ask Flashman, our resident expert on how to dress like a proper chap, for further details on the correct form at these venues, if you too find the ownership of a multi-choked Perazzi, a mesh-backed skeet vest and weird yellow safety spectacles an offensive prospect.

There is a World Side-by-Side Championship held each year, where it's possible to witness some astonishing shooting at the hands of experts.

The O/U shotgun was developed purely because it has less recoil that a S/S.

Really?

An o/u is prefered for clay shooting as it is more pointable, you have a single sighting plane and is generally heavier to soak up more recoil. Most o/u's nowadays are designed for either Game (lighter so easier to carry) or sporter (Trap skeet or sporting configurations).

THere is no reason why you shouldn't use a s/s for clay shooting, several people do. But to be more successful an o/u is best.

The side by side game gun is the more traditional gun for shooting live game . Its only within the last twenty years or so that over and under guns have been widely accepted in the field as a game gun . I dont know why ,because english gunmakers have been making over and unders as long as they have been making side by sides . I once had the pleasure of shooting a couple of drives with a Boss over and under game from the early 1800s . This gun was the most exquiset piece of the gunmakers art that was ever built . I would have sold my wife into white slavery for it .

Harnser .

I surmise that for driven game/ game shooting a side by side is fractionally easier / faster to reload?

And yes the under & over only has a single sight plane, though the rib on a side by side surley serves the same function?

I can see no reason why an under & over should NEED to be heavier than side by side

Ps

Under and over preferred by dedicated rifle persons such as myself

Still unable to fit a telescopic sight though. :rolleyes:

The O/U shotgun was developed purely because it has less recoil that a S/S.

The o/u pre-dates the s/s by some considerable time. Most of the early flintlock doubles were o/u, some of the first being pistols. One of the main reasons given in books about this subject is that the recoil from a s/s is the same for each barrel, just a bit of a twitch left or right, depending on the barrel fired. Whereas the top barrel on an o/u gives more muzzle flip because it is futher from the middle line of the recoil thrust.

The prevalenence of the s/s comes from the days of fixed chokes and double triggers when you could choose which amount of choke to use by the trigger you pulled. Since the advent of multi chokes and single selective triggers there is little advantage to be gained in using a s/s competitively. Aestheticaly it is a different matter.

Percy Stanbury was the last of the clay shots regularly to win major competitions with a side by side, these days they have seperate classes for them.

The predjudice against the o/u is strange, the late Joe Nickerson used o/u's and in very select company. As has been said on here already Boss (Roberts) were making sidelock o/u's well before John Moses Browning claimed to have invented the concept.

ft