22 or 17 HMR

I was quite happy with my 22lr but the problem was hedge row bunnies, not being able to get near them and if I did I was at the end of my range. I zero at 60 m and allow an say extra 4 " for 90m, but last week for example I drove across a cut grass field and estimated 70m and ending up shooting at the bunnies feet, I paced it after and it was 90m - the problem with the 22lr is at this range limit to be sure of a clean kill.

Hence the need for either a WMR or HMR, but the Hmr seams to get all the popular press and not much is heard of the merits of new ammo in the WMR. The problem would be easy to solve if I could see some in action, but I rely on shooting forums - many thanks for all comments :good:

I must be the exception that proves the rule. Am I the only person on here who thinks the .17 HMR is over-rated?! I sold mine last month, and haven't looked back. I appreciate that it has a role and a huge following, but I cannot understand the ludicrous stigma that the .22LR seems to have earned since the .17 HMR went into production.

Can someone with expert knowledge of exterior ballistics please explain to me why the .17 HMR is "inherently more accurate" than the .22LR, as per one of the posts above? It's not the first time I've heard rubbish like that written, and I'm interested in the facts behind the claim.

Baldrick .

I stopped being a tackle tart many years ago and saved my self thousands of pounds . My .308 ruger and my .22 rimfire will be in my cabinet till the day i die .

Harnser .

Noise is an issue on my shoots so I much prefer the .22lr for rabbits although I use a laser rangefinder & 4b reticle to maximise the distance I can reach out. I am impressed by the trajectory/accuracy of the .17hmr but personally think a .22lr & .223 or .22 hornet(foxes) cover all my needs. I would however like to

try a semi-auto .22wmr just in case I am missing something :good:

As has been said both are different and have different plus and minus points. Put in for both and then you have two tools to meet your requirements.

If you think that you may be encountering fox quite frequently then it may be worth applying for the WMR rather than the HMR as the extra energy will be more efficient for fox.

I would however like to try a semi-auto .22wmr just in case I am missing something :good:

They are great fun, and not to be underestimated. I bought a Remington 597 .22WMR in February, on an impulse, and have had a lot of fun with it since. Fitted with an ASE CQB and a decent scope, it's a pretty formidable little gun for short-range foxing.