Finally going to get a dog :)

Lloyd90

Your probally all fed up of me posting but here goes anyways :oops:

Hey all :oops: Hope everyone is well. After a few months considering an all I have decided to get a gundog to train up to use :ernyha:

Now the breed I really like is the GSP :drinks: they look stunning and I hear they are fantastic workers.

Although I have recently read that a GWP will mature faster n be easier to handle :hmm:

Im unsure which to go for tbh :hmm: Both seem like great dogs and are very similar.

I want to use this dog for alot, rough shooting, retrieving pigeons in the hide, rabbit shooting/retrieving, a spot of wildfowling and possibly even some deer tracking :yahoo: that's why I picked one of these dogs, there VERY versatile and should be able to do all the jobs I need :sick:

Now I was wondering If anyone can offer any advice to me regarding the dog ? which one to get ? Bitch or dog ?

I live by a Nature reserve and have ALOT of land free to use, including rough ground, a lake with ducks (not going to be shooting them lol) huge fields, land to shoot that has deer on it so hopefully be able to train a good quality dog/bitch :drinks:

I have had dogs in the past but not a gundog although I have worked with springers before on the beating line and thoroughly enjoyed it :yes:

The dog will pref be kennel'd outside, although my mother thinks this is cruel so a Possibility for it to be in the house :oops:

Appreciate any help n tips I get guys, thanks very much :drinks:

Just need to save up a big wad of ££ now :( lol

Personally doubt that a GSP would be any good for wildfowling.

Why is that ? They have webbed feet and are a gundog bred to do it all I have read :oops: There supposed to be great swimmers.

Hmm damn it, now Im debating wether a lab or spaniel would be better again :oops: Hard choice to make :oops:

I have a GSP and many friends with GWP, I live in Germany(where the best dogs come from for these breeds).Both will do all that you ask, from sit in a hide with you , under a high seat , to blood track and bring down and kill a wounded deer.They are both amazing breeds and quality dogs, I have the added extra that Sam is also a good house dog, that is not normal in this counrty, why I don't know , many people here ask me how I did it with him that he is good in field and good in house...................dont ask me.

As a first dog it will be a handfull, seek advice and follow it , they(both) breeds are strong willed dogs, and will be teaching you before you know it.

Get it right and you have the dog of a lifetime, who will do everything, point, retreive, bloodtrack etc etc etc..................and best of all will be your best friend.........................Sam is sat curled around my feet as I type.Going for a wee soon, guess who will follow me there and back ...................Once a friend, a friend for life!!

Why is that ? They have webbed feet and are a gundog bred to do it all I have read :) There supposed to be great swimmers.

Hmm damn it, now Im debating wether a lab or spaniel would be better again :good: Hard choice to make :lol:

Please don't go making any final decision based on my opinion alone; it's just that I don't think a GSP has a coat suitable for sending into water during the colder winter months. At 6 months old, mine is still getting used to water but I'm pretty sure he ain't built for winter wildfowling, especially coastal.

Traztaz,

Do you or any of your pals use GSP's in water during the winter?

Please don't go making any final decision based on my opinion alone; it's just that I don't think a GSP has a coat suitable for sending into water during the colder winter months. At 6 months old, mine is still getting used to water but I'm pretty sure he ain't built for winter wildfowling, especially coastal.

Traztaz,

Do you or any of your pals use GSP's in water during the winter?

No worries mate, nice to have some input :good: I was just under the impression that they were very versatile and capable of doing a bit of water retrieving along with other things :lol: I have seen a few vids n such of them swimming and retrieving dummies from some ponds/lakes. I doubt Id do serious wildfowling, maybe just give it a try or shoot over a flight pond or 2 on some of my mates permissions with him n his spaniel :)

ok mate, you're asking for opinions so I'll give mine and meant with the best of intentions :good:

First gundog, forget an HPR - they are NOT easy to train... how many gundog trainers do you know? how many can make a job of an HPR? If you don't know (I don't, but I know the trend) do some research... the answer will tell you something, most will take a lab or a spaniel and make it into a good dog, many won't touch an HPR.

If you don't know your breed lines you will, in all probabilty, end up with a dog with a mouth like a crocodile... they don't get the "hunt, munch, crunch" tag for nothing.

These dogs are bred to range where game is scarce, for the range of activities you want to undertake I would be going for a lab, they can do it ALL (and I have a spaniel preference).

I have been fortunate enough to see trial winning standard GSPs working, but most I have seen are used out of place and are ****.

Also forget a GSP for fowling, they're not good in that type of prolonged, wet, cold.

I await the barrage of abuse from HPR owners who may well have done a good job with theirs, and who may be fortunate enough to have one with a soft mouth, but stand by my opinion that you would be better off with a lab.

Food for thought mate, and if you go for a GS/GWP then I wish you the very best of luck.

I have a 10 month old GWP. Training is going well so far but it is early days. I have never trained a another gun dog before so I have nothing to compare against. The only problem I have with him is that he is a bit of a thief in the kitchen if food is left out but I dont think thats a GWP problem.

On a positive note I have caught him stealing eggs and he can run off with them in his mouth. I caught him and they were unbroken!! Soft mouth I hope...

Thank you WGD I appreciate the input :good: I am considering it, espec since Lonewolf has just had a litter n he seems a nice bloke, am enquiring about a black lab bitch :)

I was thinking maybe a lab, heard there alot easier to train. Damn it I keep changing my mind :lol: