On the bunnys

stokie

Went out tonight with stokeshooter to a permission we got about 2 months ago . There are loads of rabbits on one hedge line .

We thought to stand a much better chance we would take a friend with his ferrets . There a lots of holes about 15 feet into the field so this is where he placed the fert .

It kept bobbing its head up for a couple of minutes then dissapeared for about 20 .The lad whos they were then climbed the fence and went into the next field where we dont have permission to be .

It is close to some houses and the owner of the field called him over and gave him a telling off about being on her land.

Being the diplomatic kind I walked around the road to go and apologise and show her the permission slip written by the farmer. Which she accepted and told us we could come back on her land any time we wished as long as we didnt climb the gates or dig any holes.

It didnt turn out to productive with the rabbits so we went off to a neighbouring farm we also gained permission on .

The old boy was coming out of the milking shed so we went over to say hello and told him where we were heading to go and knock some bunnies . He told us there had been lots of crows in a freshly sillaged field and could we go and take a look .

We jumped back in the landrover and crossed three fields to get to where he told us to go . All these fields had lots of pigeon on them having a last fill of clover . They also had a good share of rabbits which we took a few with the shotties. We them drove a few more of his fields and they were much the same . We then moved over to the other side of the farm where we had intended to go and it was teaming with bunnies and they didnt seem too scared of the noise or vehicle movement. The result was our best ever bag of 21 rabbits out of 70 acres

We then called back to the original feilds we had ferreted to take a look and found the local *** heads had set light to a freshly rolled bale and pushed it under a tree . I rang the farmer who didnt seem concerned as I think I had just got him out of bed . We tied a rope around it and dragged it onto a track where it could do no harm.

We then decided to gut and skin the nights haul in the field while the fire raged on .

My wife works in the police control room and not long after I got home she rang to ask where I had been. She said I could expect a call from the duty sargent . Some one had rang and made a complaint about us using shotguns in the field after bedtime .

When he rang he asked who gave permission and when , If I had been there before and had I shot much tonight . He was well chuffed that I had had a good night and told me to keep up the good work as it seems the gimps who started the fire had called the police because we spoilt there fun

It was such a good night that we are going back tomorrow

It was cut last friday and then turned and baled last night while we were in the next field.

We tried to put it out but it just kept reigniting from within as the fire had obviously reached deep inside the bale but this did give us time to drag it out of harms way before it burst into flames again