Decoying Problem

stuppers

After going out shooting on harvested peas this weekend there was a wind going from left to right i set up a pattern in an mirrored L shape so the pigeons would come in from left to right and land head in to the wind. instead the pigeons kept attemting too come in to the decoys from right to left and straight in front of me. :lol: they kept veering off as they got to the line of pigeons and could not come in to the decoys.

i was wondering whether this was normal and should i have changed the pattern to an L shape rather than a mirrored L shape pattern as this would mean the pigeons would land tail in to wind. also has anybody else ever seen this happen before :hmm::lol:

What distance was it from the tip (Last decoy) of each leg of the 'L shape'?

If it was quite windy and the gap for them was'nt big enough to get in , it might of put them off. I generally think about 40yrds should be ok but just depends on the conditions. Also were there any trees, this may have affected things? :hmm:

I'm not sure wat shape would have been best for you mate cos every decoyin session is different. I think the main thing to remember is "if somethings not working" then change it. It generally only takes a few minutes to alter the pattern and the difference can be well worthwhile. :lol:

Hope this helps :lol:

As the person above said dont stick to known patterns and if somethings not working change it. Its said horseshoe or L shapes work best but one of my best days was when i put two groups of decoys out and faced the birds every way possible dont be afraid to try new ideas.

good luck mate

you could have tried an L shape but with the long side at rightangles to the hide, about 25-30 yds out and use the short leg

coming towards you as a stopper. The nearest decoy about 15 yds from the hide and in line with it.This can channel the birds over you if they break off from landing. There's also plenty of room for them to come in against the wind and they should be fairly close if they do.

Never be afraid to try something different..it might just work :oops:

GH

Am I reading this right/wrong? :good: If the wind is from left to right then the birds came in from the direction you'd expect right? i.e. head into wind. Correct me if I've been having a senior moment. :hmm:

However if the birds are behaving in a different way then why not try to mimic that and see what happens. IMO sitting in a hide and watching birds is no fun at all, get out there and work the pattern until it brings in birds. Don't overdo it or you'll scare the birds off all day but a little bit of sensible tweeking often works especially once you've had a chance to observe what the birds want to do as sure as eggs is eggs they won't do what you want them to do, EVER!

Am I reading this right/wrong? :good: If the wind is from left to right then the birds came in from the direction you'd expect right? i.e. head into wind. Correct me if I've been having a senior moment. :hmm:

After going out shooting on harvested peas this weekend there was a wind going from left to right i set up a pattern in an mirrored L shape so the pigeons would come in from left to right and land head in to the wind. .....

Nope reads the same to me Highlander.

Is it all down to flight lines not being the same as the wind, just because the wind is going in one direction It doesn't mean the pigeon will allways go the long way round just to do as the experts tell us as far as flying & wind direction is concered.

I would decoy to filight line regardless of wind but when proved wrong I'd quickly change to random circle with a drop in hole.

Not perfect but does give some hope of opertunity.

The best chance of shooting pigeons is to be under the flight line if possible . The next best thing is to put your decoys out in the right place . The right place for the decoys and perhaps a magnet is just about anywhere . Look at the situation that you are in and try to think like a pigeon and suss out how you would want to get into the coys without to much trouble . I dont pay to much attention to preconcieved decoy patterns before i get on the field ,any pattern can bring in the birds on the day . Allways make sure that there is plenty of room for the birds to get in and always have a clearly defined killing zone to collate every thing to . I often as not use a random pattern of coys and find it can work very well . Another must is to not be frightend to move coys or magnet untill the birds come in .

Harnser .

if the wind is going from left to right then the pigeons would be expected to come in from right to left

does that mean if there is a westerly wind blowing throughout the day Cornwall gets swamped with Pigeons and Kent empties out? :good:

Edited by danccooke

After going out shooting on harvested peas this weekend there was a wind going from left to right i set up a pattern in an mirrored L shape so the pigeons would come in from left to right and land head in to the wind. instead the pigeons kept attemting too come in to the decoys from right to left and straight in front of me. :good: they kept veering off as they got to the line of pigeons and could not come in to the decoys.

i was wondering whether this was normal and should i have changed the pattern to an L shape rather than a mirrored L shape pattern as this would mean the pigeons would land tail in to wind. also has anybody else ever seen this happen before B) :lol:

So they are landing into the wind which is right (from what I've heard!)

Thanks for tips about random groups and kill zones :P:yes: