Muntjac

Beardo

Got some good news today,

Been hassling the tenant farmer for a while to chase up with his boss as to whether or not i could should the Muntjac (we've got masses of them).

Got the go ahead today - looking forward to some venison.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some good news today,

Been hassling the tenant farmer for a while to chase up with his boss as to whether or not i could should the Muntjac (we've got masses of them).

Got the go ahead today - looking forward to some venison.

Well done

Happy shoulding :good:

I'll second Harnser on that - was out with my terrier till gone twelve the other night looking for a Buck. Dam thing had a hole in the gearbox too -

Also interestingly my .223 using Fed was hitting true but the heads were splitting on a gear-box shot (smack broad side) and bits of the bullet(s) were travelling sideways and out through the back end (rendering the meat useless - DSC 1 textbook no-no). Its happened once or twice now and so i've opted for neck shots/heads when able (again another no-no really) - but it does the job.

T

• 2 weeks later...
still not got my first yet - could have taken a head/neck shot on a young buck the other early evening, but would rather do it by the book. grass was too tall to see the body clearly

whats wrong with a head or neck shot ??

theres no "by the book" you take what ever shot is suitable at the time

whats wrong with a head or neck shot ??

theres no "by the book" you take what ever shot is suitable at the time

Ackley, Nick is, as I am sure you know, probably trying to go along with BDS/BASC best practise which suggests "broadside on" shots. If you are experienced, skillfull and confident enough other shots become an option. There are people who will shoot running deer that are being flushed by vehicles. They are obviously very practised rifle shots. Some of us would need lots of practise to get anywhere near that level.

A moving muntie might not present the easiest head neck shot in the world, especially at distance. Give Nick some credit for being restrained and for not succoming to "buck fever".

Best of luck with your first one Nick!

ft

Ackley, Nick is, as I am sure you know, probably trying to go along with BDS/BASC best practise which suggests "broadside on" shots. If you are experienced, skillfull and confident enough other shots become an option. There are people who will shoot running deer that are being flushed by vehicles. They are obviously very practised rifle shots. Some of us would need lots of practise to get anywhere near that level.

A moving muntie might not present the easiest head neck shot in the world, especially at distance. Give Nick some credit for being restrained and for not succoming to "buck fever".

Best of luck with your first one Nick!

ft

Iam sure hes shot a rifle before at a fox or rabbit,a deer is a bigger target,

who said anyhting about a moving target mate ?? you dont shoot deer moving mate

confidence is the key,shoting one animal is the same as shooting any other,

this time of year you have to take head and neck shots because of the cover as long as your rest is solid and at a sesable distance there shouldnt be any problem

all this best practice rubbish half the BDS and BASC cant hit the broad side of a barn

buy a ser of shooting sticks when the cover is high practice shooting off them,you cant go wrong with a set

Edited by Ackley

Nick .

The most important deer you shoot will be the first one ,dont **** it up with trying for a head shot . Wait untill you are sure of a heart /lung shot . Other types of shots come with experiance and confidence .

Harnser .

rubbish,if you havnt got any confidence you shouldnt even be shooting at any animal never mind a deer,people ---- up 50 yard heart and lung shots

if you can shoot a rifle and have a good rest there is no exuse

Quote,

"rubbish,if you havnt got any confidence you shouldnt even be shooting at any animal never mind a deer,people ---- up 50 yard heart and lung shots

if you can shoot a rifle and have a good rest there is no exuse"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What an arrogant RRRSSS of an answer to give to an obviously inexperienced stalker .!!!!

The guy will do what he is comfortable doing ,when he feels it is right for him .

If the cover is that big ,how do you know what is behind the beast when you pull the trigger :good:??

The guy did right by not taking the shot !!

Another opportunity will always come along .

For what it's worth Nick I think you did the right thing. The simple truth is you were there and only you know if the shot was on. In this instance it obviously wasn't. Good call and I'm sure the ideal opportunity will present itself soon. :good:

Quote,

"rubbish,if you havnt got any confidence you shouldnt even be shooting at any animal never mind a deer,people ---- up 50 yard heart and lung shots

if you can shoot a rifle and have a good rest there is no exuse"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What an arrogant RRRSSS of an answer to give to an obviously inexperienced stalker .!!!!

The guy will do what he is comfortable doing ,when he feels it is right for him .

If the cover is that big ,how do you know what is behind the beast when you pull the trigger :lol:??

The guy did right by not taking the shot !!

Another opportunity will always come along .

"inexperienced stalker"

now thats funny,go and read your BDS and BASC guide to shooting mate.

go and read the guy first post again mate

"could have taken a head/neck shot " so obvious the beast was stood right and in a safe place :good:

there is no "by the book" thats only for the St Huberts club

Oh and by the way have you ever shot a munty ? guess not as the head or neck is the best shot as theres not a lot of meat left otherwise

Edited by Ackley