crate training

Lloyd90

After buying a crate this morning Skye is on her way to being crate trained :lol: Reading about them it sounds like she should be crying and moaning, well I havent heard her cry or moan since I bought her home on sunday :good: Although Im now starting to wonder whether she should be doing it more lol! She is more than happy to be left in the crate with the door shut and just goes right to sleep.

Even the day we got her if she was left she would not moan but just go to sleep on her own :P which is quite nice lol but shes very independant.

Anyways Im hoping she will start moaning (for the right reasons, to go out to eliminate) she did do it earlier n my dad let her out for a wee :angry: I also take her out several times through the day so had hardly any accidents, although she still has some :oops:

Hoping the crate will help cut this down n get her going outside all the time, theres always someone to let her out so aslong as she moans she should be ok :yes: Also set alarm for 3am and 6.30am to get up n let her out to eliminate. :hmm: Although feeling rough today after not a huge amount of sleep :lol: I can see why puppies are such a responsibility B)

Also one lil thing, Skye number 2 is very soft, Im not sure if its her settling in :hmm: It was like that yesterday but this morning was a good solid one, then this afternoon was very bad. I think It may be the treats though as there the only thing she hasnt had before as all other food is what she's used to. There those meat flavour sticks, I break them up into TINY bits n so far have taught her to sit and she is walking okish, once shes more use to the lead I will do more work on heal :good:

we have abandoned crate training in favour of the whole kitchen - we were using a crate but for our black lab it was causing her too much distress. she was thrashing around in it, tearing up the paper, spilling her water and barking.

we still have it as her bed with the blanket over it, but no longer lock her in it. when she's tired she will go to it and sleep, but when she wakes up and wants to have a mooch about there simply wasn't enough room for her to do so and she was getting annoyed with it.

Ours didn't cry at first - she doesn't cry when you put her to bed which is usually around 10pm - but at around 4:30am she goes ape**** and starts barking, yelping and scratching at the door. we let her out for a wee which she obviously desperately needs, but then she wont settle after that.

don't be lulled in to a false sense of security that everything is good, she may soon change!

good luck! be interesting to see how we both get on as our pups are the same age!

Im sorry to hear that James, I hope that doesn't happen to Skye, I read that the best thing to do is ignore it n she will settle after a while :o Also I dont put water in the crate as I dont want her peeing in there. She has open access to plenty of water through the day n then I lift the water about 10 or 11ish. She is in bed now with door shut n all fine :good: Will take her out about 11-11.30 for a wee before I go to sleep, Ive got a put up bed in the hall by her (She cant see me though) n alarm set for 3am :good: so will take her out then, 2nd alarm for 6.30am :good: n then hopefully I can get some sleep haha :hmm:

When did you bring your pup home James ? How old is the lil thing ? Post pics mate they really are gorgeous lol! Skye spends ALOT of the time just sleeping haha although I have taught her to sit for treats and for her dinner :good:

Edited by Bigthug87

Got her home a week last Sunday, she's called Jess.

we tried ignoring the noise, but after 2 hours of it we have to go down as we need to get ready for work, and we are concerned about upsetting the neighbours as we are semi-detached.

never thought to take her out in the middle of the night, we might see how she goes in the next couple of weeks and then give that a try!

5 weeks:

DSCF1073.jpg

6 weeks:

_NMM0067.jpg

As soon as photobucket is working again i'll get some more up!

Edited by J@mes

Aww she's gorgeous mate :o Skye was really good last night. I heard her moaning @ 1.15 so took her out n she did a wee :good: Then at 4.15 out again for a wee and a poo :good: then again at 6.30 for a wee. Then she had breaky at 7.15 and out again for another poo :good: 0 accidents in the house last night :good:

At 4.45 she moaned n I took her out but she just wanted to play not wee so back in she went. I heard an almight ruckes, when I looked she had pushed the cardboard box right back in her crate, not because she wanted to but because she was busy killing her teddy haha :hmm: I moved it back n she went back to sleep :hmm:

You defo need to take her out in the middle of the night, at that age her bladder phycisally isn't big enough to last all night although it will be nice when It is :hmm: Im knackered from getting up n going back to sleep all night :hmm:

Need to be careful about getting up in the middle of the night as you may unwittingly condition her to continue to call you down even when she no longer REALLY needs to go. It may be better just to live with the night-time accidents for a while?

I agree about not taking initial indicators as proof of future behaviour either - our GSP was good as gold for the first few days but was still crapping in the crate overnight after 12 weeks.

disagree i always take my dogs out in the middle of the night if they need it, allowing the dog to soil in the house in its crate is the wrong foot to get off on, this could be the norm....why not wake and get into good practice as the pup matures it will learn to hold on...well this has been the case for me...YOU DO NOT WANT TO SET A DOG UP TO FAIL!!

My approach to crate training was less than scientific I'm afraid, the evening routine was something like this:

00:00 - dog out to garden to do whatever it would.

00:05 - dog in crate, water removed, door closed.

00:06 - back hallway door closed.

00:07 - me in bed upstairs.

06:00 - me open eyes, scratch nuts, turn off alarm.

06:01 - open back hallway door and back door.

06:02 - open crate door and get outside quick before pups pees everywhere with excitment.

I didn't bother cordoning off areas of the crate and all that stuff, there wasn't mess overnight for long and the whining through the night soon stopped when there was no response from me - primarily because it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake.

Comfort the dog by all means, lots of love and affection and play during the day but don't pander to it IMO. Good luck.

Thank's guys :good: I defo don't play with her at night, if she don't go to the toilet its back in the crate she goes :good: Id rather get up in the night n take her out to toilet than make her go in her bed and have to sleep in it. As she gets older she will be able to hold it easier and I will increase the time between until I can have a good night sleep :oops:

I got a put up bed in the room next to the hall so Im not far away if she does need to go out :good: Its working well this way, although I am a bit tired :lol: but well worth it :hmm:

Thanks for all the info, I wont be putting her in the bedroom as I dont want to have to train her out of it in a few weeks/ months time.

She hasn't shown any signs of chewing the kitchen yet as she has loads of toys to chew - not saying it wont happen, but if it does we will deal with it.

She was a bit better this morning as she went back to sleep a couple of times but it still wasn't great.

know it will be worth it in the end, but its bloody hard work at the minute!

Crate training waste of time...

I crate trained my cocker - all it ment was, rather than clearing #1's and #2's off the kitchen floor - I was having to bath the dog nightly because she had covered herself in it!

My new springer is in his bed in my kitchen, and is already helping himself to the dog flap to do his business outside :oops:

it is until they chew obviously puppies don't but if they live in and they get at all bored they can be proper little ********, have to say thinking about it mine have had big crates but actually used them more once they got towards 4-6 months as between then and a year is when they will wreck the place. So you managed to improve the ventilation of your back door so to speak on Saturday gary :oops:

p.s love the swear filter getting bar and steward

Edited by al4x

My Springer was kept with its mother and rest of the litter in a crate over night

When we bought him home he stayed in the dog travel box for 2 nights messing and whinning 3rd night he was clean and slept

We bought him a full size crate a size up from the one recomended and in he went no fuss or mess

Its now refered to as his "night night" bed and at night he is straight in there when we go to bed

During the day if we are out in he pops in there good as gold although we got in the habit of giving him a bonio when we leave him during the day and the look we get if we forget is a picture

Sounds like some of us are having good times with a crate and others bad times :hmm: Guess go for what works I guess :good: Skye doesn't mess in her crate so I shall keep using it :oops: Hopefully she will keep doing well :hmm:

I would of just left her without one but rather than moan to go out at night she would just go in the corner. Night 1 she did a wee n a poo, Night 2 she did a wee, Night 3 (when I got the crate) No wees or Poos inside, lots outside when taken out :lol: So it works for me n her :good:

This pup is quite puzzling to me :hmm: She didnt need to get used to her crate like everyone says, she isn't scared of the hoover, she doesnt moan n whine much for attention :good: Ive never had a pup like this before :good: Im just praying she keeps it up :lol:

Best of luck with all your pups guys :good: I cant wait till she's about 3-4 months n she can hold it all night :good: plus can teach her lots of cool tricks :good:

Hi all I have had Jet my lab for 5 weeks, he took to his crate really well. Went all night after 3 weeks, has only had 1 wee and 1 poo in it since we had him.

I could not survive without the crate, niether could my 13 year old norfolk terrier.

Nice work Flocked :lol: I hope mine can last all night in a couple weeks :good: No accidents in there yet thank god! She was born n lived her 8 weeks in a kennel, I assume the breeder got her used to noises n hoover n such as shes very bold n not scared of much now that she has settled in :lol: I cant wait till after her 2nd jab so I can get her out n about :P :o

ours slept through until 5:45 this morning - bliss! one wee, one poo in the kitchen but we can cope with that!

Sometimes I feel Like just staying in bed n leaving her do that lol, but get up instead. No messes all night for the second night, alot of moaning and whineing at 2.15 and out for a wee and a poo, out for a wee at 3.30 and a wee n poo @ 6.30 :P She defo knows outside is the place to go :o Absolutely chuffed with her :good:

we used a crate for our springer,shes 7 months now.couldnt have done without it we had her at 9 weeks and moaned for the first 2 nights for an hour and not a peep since.

we lifted her water after she had a drink around 7pm,put her out for a wee at 10.30 an went to bed,,we had about 2 weeks of wee in the crate (we had a small bed in one half and a puppy pad in the other,so when i got up at 6am just take the pad out jobsagood,un.)

she still sleeps in the crate and probably will till about 18months (i like my kitchen uchewed).

the secret i think was lifting the water at 7pm so the 10.30pm wee was that liquid.

she is fed at 6pm so when a pup she would have done her poo by bedtime.

this was my first pup so ws trail and error luckliy so far we havent had many errors just puddles of wee early on but only 2 poos in the house.

shes at a trainers now for 3 weeks while we go on hols......looking forward to seeing her when we get back

good luck and it dont last forever.

i'd be carful that you dont get her in the habit of going to the loo in the night rather than holding it til morning if yo get my drift,,,it surprised me how quick a pup will pick up a routine and that seems what you are creating,

i'd be more inclined to half the crate so she has to wee on the half that is not her bed even tho her instincts tell her not to,what time do you feed her last,(i wouldnt give anything even a treat after 5pm that way she shouldnt poo at night time.

i'd be carful that you dont get her in the habit of going to the loo in the night rather than holding it til morning if yo get my drift,,,it surprised me how quick a pup will pick up a routine and that seems what you are creating,

i'd be more inclined to half the crate so she has to wee on the half that is not her bed even tho her instincts tell her not to,what time do you feed her last,(i wouldnt give anything even a treat after 5pm that way she shouldnt poo at night time.

On lab forum I read of someone who did that, it just trains the dog to go toilet in the crate, he said in the end his puppy would run in from outside to do his wee's n Poo's in the crate :good:

Shes last fed @ 9.30 as she is being fed 4 times a day atm. 7.30 am, 11am-1pm, 4.30-5.30, 9.30!

Not feeding her after 5pm ? Thats a long time for a puppy to go without food :lol:

Edited by Bigthug87