got some land

pluckers son

went fishing today and when walking down the side of a farmers feild local to where i live,i saw the farmer planting in his feild and there was loads of pigeon there so i walked over and asked him if he wanted any pigeons shooting,he said yes there plenty to go at over there shoot them all,i said thanx mate i will have a go tmorrow BUT i forgot to ask him for written permition,will i still be ok to shoot on his land?:)???

hopeing to see him tmorrow beacause he has 2 more feilds to do

Guest Mr Pieman

Plucker's Son,

to my knowledge written permission is only LEGALLY required when using firearms - e.g.rifles etc - not shotguns.

Get out there and fill yer boots!!! :)

PP

Proof, but not neccessary,technically Firearms, (I believe), Plucker you are a lucky ..cker, some pepole struggle for permission.

Craws,

How are you now doing? Got some land sorted out in God's Country?

Hammy

I got permission but I didnt get anything written down. I thought that was only required for firearms.

Its good land with more animals that you could shake a stick at. Rabbits, hare, craws, pigeons, ducks, etc.

Edited by The_Craws

I have been shooting for more years than I care to remember and have never had written permission in my life.

The verbal O.K. from the land owner is good enough for me and is good enough for the law as it stands at the moment.

I am only talking of non F,A,C, shooting in my case.

I'm afraid you need to secure it, remember the seasons, don't wait for the call from the farmer (as it shall not come) you need to look after it all year round, you'll have to shoot the crows in July to get the Pigeons in March and August. (especially in Scotland). Get written permission for any type of shooting, get to know the boundry's and topographgy. I'ts the only way to keep a hold of your land.

Hammy

nice 1 guys for letting me know where i stand,cant wait till i finsh work tomorrow to get the decoys out....i am over the moon now that i have my own permission,

at 1 point i was going to give up on shooting but this has now made me want to go to other farms and start knocking for a little more permission,iam a very shy person and i was ******** myself about asking him but i plucked up the courage and asked him and BINGO it worked.... :shoot::shoot::shoot::):shoot::lol::lol:???

pics comming soon.........

pluckers son, as has been said, you don't need the permisssion in writing and in my experience, some Farmers get offended if you ask for it in writing.

Look after your Farmer by keeping the birds off, closing gates, don't block landways etc.,

Also, I usually let them know when and where I will be on the fields.

Once you have this Farmer safely in your pocket, you can use his name to get more shooting.

Few things are better to be able to say, when knocking on doors than, "I shoot Farmer Brown's land".

Good luck. :)

mark,

You don't need it in writing.

However the grey area is that is says somewhere that you are advised to have it in writing, when referring to rabbit shooting. My mate has got the book where it shows you a sample written permission. That is all it is though, advice.

:rolleyes:

Hi all, especially Mark.

I thought I would put my 2 penn'orth in.

I have been acquiring land on a regular basis for 2 years now (19 farms and 20k acres) and I have ALWAYS got written permission from the farmers.

The way I do it is draft up a form stating details of land, contact name & address, what i can & can't shoot etc. All he has to do is sign it.

EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It works brilliantly for me in obtaining more land and also as I am putting in for my F.A.C. shortly the F.A.O says my application should be a breeze.

I can now travel and approach farmers with IMHO confidence and written referals to back up my claims when asked.

1. I have all the info on the letter as to acreage, landowners full details (name ,address, phone num.etc)

2. if I ever get stopped by an official or whoever I can show him these and get rid of them courteously.

3. I always carry a number of Pest Control business cards to give to the farmers to contact me if need be. and they DO work.

Try it yourself and see how you get on.

Dave K

In Dumfries & Galloway, you need a minimum of two Written permissions for application and renewal of a firearms. Stating the owner's name, phone number, address, land acrage, what you are allowed to shoot and general description of the Topography, and then has to be signed by the land owner, and all are checked up on, Is this not the same across the country?

Hammy

Supposedly in my area when your applying they come and ask you what you want a shotgun for and where you will be using it.

Based on what you say they will either refuse you or put down on your certificate conditions of what you can use it for. So if I were to say I want it for vermin then I wont be allowed to take it down to the clay shooting ground.

If I say I am going to use it on Farmer Blogg's land then they'll phone him up and ask lots of questions about the land he has.

A gunsmith told me all this. I was under the impression that this was FAC requirements only and you dont have to give them reasons for useage and where you are going to use it but he swears blind that he knows more than one person that can only use their shotguns on a clay grounds and for nothing else.

The Craws, the law is obviously differant in Scotland to England & Wales then and I can't comment on it but I can assure you that no such restrictions to shotgun use apply in this country.

Once you have your certificate, you can use it on game,clays or tin cans if you want to.

Craws,

"So if I were to say I want it for vermin then I wont be allowed to take it down to the clay shooting ground. "

Thats a new one on me!

I was the youngest person in Scotland, at the time, to get a shotgun certificate (age 8) and that was granted by Strathclyde police. I've never heard of any restrictions on a shotgun.

Hammy,

Each force has a different outlook on the rules governing firearms and they therefore act differently. I was granted a first time FAC by Fife police to use on 39 of our farms, I doubt if they went through each one and checked the following-

"Stating the owner's name, phone number, address, land acrage, what you are allowed to shoot and general description of the Topography, and then has to be signed by the land owner, and all are checked up on"

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON

:thumbs: good news lads went to the land that i got the other day and set up my decoys,was there for about 3pm a bit late due to work but after 10 mins the birds started comming in first 10 shots i missed lol but then started getting my eye in and got 3 then i heard some kids at the back of me, so i broke my gun and got up :rolleyes: thay were only gippos from the local gippo camp...****** could i **** get rid of them,in the end i told them to go on their way and they did :(

started shooting again and got 2 more then i heard the farmer coming up the field so i got out of my hide and flagged him down again i gave him my name and address and tel number,he said thanks and gave me his name and tel number too,then he said will u shoot the land all the time i said no problem chris,he also said if he needed any other feilds shooting would i be able to do them :( i said yes mate thanx alot.............then the gippo kids came back :< climbing all over his tractor doing his head in too,so he went on his way.then i couldnt get rid of the gippos thay were asking me for shells and trying to steal them from my hide so i packed up my netting gun and shells.....thay said can i collect your decoys for u,i said yes and so they did but the little ******** stole 1 and put in behind his back then ran off shouting **** of moron :<

what a first time out on my new land but all is well may be some more land to come soon i hope :(

Edited by ernyha

plucker, you should have reported them to the police. :rolleyes:

robson, ernyha I think the guy was in a bad mood or something. He must have been working on a gun and I disturbed him looking to see what second hand guns he had. He had a Browning Gold Hunter 12g 3 shot.

Edited by The_Craws

• 2 months later...

The only time I have had written permission on any land was on the last firearms renewal, I went to two of my landowners with a pre printed form,

I explained what it was for they were fine,

I have been stopped by the plod once or twice but when I tell em I have permission and the farmers name I am left alone, honest face? as far as I know the farmer hasnt had a call.

I did once have an armed response unit when shooting at the end of the local air force base on peas, when I explained I was on private land not the runway, (do the MOD grow peas?) there was no problem, I think they were having a practice. :o