223 Opinions / advice please

andy33

Having recently achieved my FAC for 223 i was looking for any opinions on rifles people are using. I do nearly all my shooting on foot as vehicle access isnt brilliant so weight will be an issue,

I've read a few recent threads on scopes and think i'll probably go for the meopta, depends on if i can find something decent @ 7 or 8 x 56 second hand to start with and as for mods there seems to be plenty of good feedback on ASE, so its rifle choice really, i'd prefer something with a wooden stock as i dont like the plastic look,

anyway thanks for reading the thread, any info would be helpfull.

You might actually want to think less about how light it is and more about how balanced the weight is. If you end up buying a really light rifle, imagine what it's going to feel like when it's got a heavy T8 or Wildcat sound mod on the end... It'll feel horribly top heavy.

I love my T8... Providing you look after it, they will give you plenty of service!

Have a read of - http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/253448...moderators.html

Anyway here's my .223Rem setup - used mainly for Foxing.

RWS <Titan> 3 in .223 REM

Browning 3-9X50 SportOptics

Reflex T8 Suppressor

Lightforce 170

It's currently being fed on a diet of homeloaded 55grn Sierra Spitzer Boat Tails, with 26.5grn of Varget

post-2887-1248340859.jpg

My Tikka M595 has been really good! I have the synthetic stock and stainless barrel so it is on the heavy side. I bought it secondhand with a Schmidt 8x56 scope and a T4 mod. It doesnt make your ears bleed like Dunganick's Howa! I have recently put my first handloads throught it iand the grouping at 100 was within a true 1/4 inch! I know everyone says this but i have two people that can vouch for this. Needless to say im not changing the handload! Even with factory rounds the groupings were 1/2 to 3/4 inch!

Garyb that looks a cracking set up, whats the weight like.

It's got the varmint / heavy barrel option - so it's no feather :good:

That said, I use it both on foot to shoot from sticks, or from the 4x4 or even the High Seat, and it dosen't leave me with a bad back.

NickBeardo on here has the same rifle - but with the standard stainless barrel.

I liked the look of the remmingtons..

What put me off was I didn't like the idea of having to spend more money on them, so that they shoot right (trigger kits, stocks and the like)

Kinda Ruger 10/22 esque...

I was lucky found one with 300 rounds through it with timney trigger, hogue stock and DM80 for about the cost of a new rifle on its own. Even more lucky it seems to shoot straight as well :good:

very nicely balanced with the mod on as well

Yeh its the rifle at the moment, theres a lot of stuff about and with being new all the abbreviations make it a bit confusing, ive looked at the remmy for sale and think the barrel length is a bit to long.

Thanks.

If you had it screwcut for a mod they could cut it down at the same time

I have a stainless steel Ruger mini 14 with a 1 in 9 twist, using 90 grain bulletts makes it very accurate even though they are classed as a fun gun mine seems to be very accurate out to 600 yards and beyond.

Wouldn't of thought a 1 in 9 twist would of stabilized such a heavy bullet,and how far is beyond?