Broadband Providers

MC

Guys,

I am now looking for a new broadband provider after a lengthy dispute with T Mobile and their shockingly slow and appalling mobile broadband.

Any recomendations of who I should go with? I was with Freeserve/wanadoo/orange with no issues before swapping to T Mobile. I really need a wireless set up and don't really want to have to buy any equipment.

Is the BT home hub thing any good?

Thanks in advance

Martin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone will have their favourite, then the next person will say are dire etc etc.

I have been with BT for as long as I can remember, and have never had any problems with service.

I have all my own gear so didn't accept the home hub thing, I don't need it I just need the service.

They are annoying in that they have fixed plans so you can only pick one of those, and I know you can get cheaper, but if isn't busted I am not going to fix it.

Proberbly the best and fastest and most consistant is virgin media . You do need to be able to receive it via cable . The only downside is if you have a problem you need to able to speak punjarby or udo . Just had a free update to 10 mega things what ever thy are from 2 mega things .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

SKY at my own house is far quicker and far more reliable than the BT BUSINESS broadband that we have at the missus house (100 yards up the road) yet the business line is meant to have better speeds and more uptime.

it's ****!

My T Mobile speedtest currently shows 0.31Mbps download and upload takes so long I can't be bothered.

I sent a 3.8Mb drawing file this morning and it took 22 minutes. T Mobile say this is average for their service :good: :good: My original dial up service with the hamsters in a wheel was faster than that.

I have had a look at Sky as I have sky TV and also Tiscali as they are cheap, but I don't really know what one to go with.

If you can get Virgin then odds are they will be best simply down to the network, otherwise its BT or soeone else via your phoneline much of a muchness in reality but BT have all the control and infrastructure so offer the best after sales support and if there is a problem then they'll be the ones dealing with it generally anyway

If you can get Virgin then odds are they will be best simply down to the network, otherwise its BT or soeone else via your phoneline much of a muchness in reality but BT have all the control and infrastructure so offer the best after sales support and if there is a problem then they'll be the ones dealing with it generally anyway

That is sort of the conclusion I had come to, I never had any issues with Orange either and their helplines were excellent.

I can't get virgin here as we don't have cable, we have only had gas for a few years. There will be no such thing as broadband by the time mersea gets cable.

That is sort of the conclusion I had come to, I never had any issues with Orange either and their helplines were excellent.

I can't get virgin here as we don't have cable, we have only had gas for a few years. There will be no such thing as broadband by the time mersea gets cable.

This debate could go on forever. I was with Orange for around 18 months and it was by far the worst broadband I have ever had. Very unrelaiable. It would pack in at least once a week and the very helpful call centre in India would ask the most ridiculous questions such as "HAVE YOU TURNED ON YOUR COMPUTER".

I am now with o2 and can't really fault them at all. :good:

SKY at my own house is far quicker and far more reliable than the BT BUSINESS broadband that we have at the missus house (100 yards up the road) yet the business line is meant to have better speeds and more uptime.

it's ****!

Sky use BT's network so your Sky being quicker has got nothing to do with the fact it's from another provider. I've got Sky and as long as there's no issues it's fine but as soon as there is and you need to speak to customer services forget it coz they're worse than useless.

Virgin Media offer 50MB and a mega fast download speed. Download 1gb film in 10's of minutes. Albums in even less time. Make your service provider work for you and get the best out of it before they kick you off for useing up the band width. Oh and not complying to fair user agreement

Jonno

I made a choice to go and stick with BT about 9 years ago.

In that time my broadband has not worked for 2 days.

The download speeds are all academic - it depends what's on the other end being pushed out and I have found that 1 meg is plenty fast enough.

Besides, in Mersey Island the broadband providers can probably only just about match dial up and only run a service at weekends (except for the tribe chief of Mersey Island who gets ISDN).

Whatever service you go for, just don't get one with a cap download limit - it will catch you out when you don't want it to.

I have ordered a router etc from BT, no download limit etc for £17 quid a month.

Andy,

It is Mersea Island, not Mersey. That is where scousers come from. But you are right, I used to have about 2Mb with Orange and it was plenty fast enough.

Having consulted the family they have confirmed our BT broadband has never been down, and I reckon we have had it for 8 years now.

As I said at the outset you will get different experiences from different people about the same providers.

So we can look forward to MC being back on here telling us useless they are in his area :unsure:

I have been with plusnet for about five years and have had very few problems, the two times I have contacted them via email regarding a line fault they have replied within 30 minuted and have been known to give some money back from the rental.

They are owned by BT but have better customer service in my experience, I do have a download limit but with it they don't restrict my P2P file sharing.

A friend has the home hub from BT, its about as useful as a period on a dirty weekend but I guess he might just be unlucky.