When to skin a bunny

Colster

Last year I was beating on a pheasant shoot and one of the dogs got hold of a Chinese Water Deer. By the time we found it, the deer was done for but still alive with most of one it's back legs knawed away. The dog's owner didn't want to finish it off so using a sturdy stick I smacked it round the head and broke it's neck.

One of the shooters was also a gamekeeper and said if I wanted to keep the deer he would gut and joint it for me, not one to turn down some free venison I jumped at the chance but he said we'd need to gut the deer straight away.

I know with pheasants you can hang them for a couple of days before preparing them so I was wondering how you know what needs to be done immediately and what can wait.

I'm very new to shooting and last night bagged a nice big rabbit worth eating and not showing any signs of mixy, I've hung it in the shed for now but how long do I have to skin and gut it before it goes off.

Same question for pigeons, is the deciding factor the amount of greens each animal eats i.e. Pheasants and Pigeons mainly seed so can be left a day or two, rabbits and deer mainly grasses so need doing quicker?

There are countless threads already posted on this very web site that will answer your question, so do a search and find all the info that way.

Bottom line is you should have gutted the rabbit already, preferably in the field and neither pigeon nor rabbit need any hanging at all.

Edited by john_r

Last year I was beating on a pheasant shoot and one of the dogs got hold of a Chinese Water Deer. By the time we found it, the deer was done for but still alive with most of one it's back legs knawed away. The dog's owner didn't want to finish it off so using a sturdy stick I smacked it round the head and broke it's neck.

One of the shooters was also a gamekeeper and said if I wanted to keep the deer he would gut and joint it for me, not one to turn down some free venison I jumped at the chance but he said we'd need to gut the deer straight away.

I know with pheasants you can hang them for a couple of days before preparing them so I was wondering how you know what needs to be done immediately and what can wait.

I'm very new to shooting and last night bagged a nice big rabbit worth eating and not showing any signs of mixy, I've hung it in the shed for now but how long do I have to skin and gut it before it goes off.

Same question for pigeons, is the deciding factor the amount of greens each animal eats i.e. Pheasants and Pigeons mainly seed so can be left a day or two, rabbits and deer mainly grasses so need doing quicker?

Is it just me, or would anybody else have gone and fetched a gun to finish it off? :good: I know id rather be shot than beat around the head till my neck broke.

Should gut same evening as shot, especially when they've been eating grass (for some reason). I imagine it causes more gases to build up which taint the meat.

I don't worry about when i skin it. Normally do it the next day as it is easier to lop it's legs and noggin off when not in the field.

Oh, and squeeze it's wee out straight after shooting. :good::lol: That taints the meat too apparently.

Soak in salt water over night to get the bitterness out. :lol: :lol:

Is it just me, or would anybody else have gone and fetched a gun to finish it off? :good: I know id rather be shot than beat around the head till my neck broke.

Kinda reminds me of that bit in Blackadder goes Forth, where Melchett was talking about George's rabbit. I guess the deer would have also been happier not having half it's leg chewed off but rather than wait until the end of the drive and try and get one of the landed gentry to deign to set foot in the tangly stuff, I took the quick path to ending it's misery. You'll be pleased to know it was a single blow.

Should gut same evening as shot, especially when they've been eating grass (for some reason). I imagine it causes more gases to build up which taint the meat.

I don't worry about when i skin it. Normally do it the next day as it is easier to lop it's legs and noggin off when not in the field.

Oh, and squeeze it's wee out straight after shooting. :good::lol: That taints the meat too apparently.

Soak in salt water over night to get the bitterness out. :lol: :lol:

Good advice, in case your not sure how to get the wee out, hold the rabbit up by its front legs with its back to you and run your free thumb from about half way down its chest to its bits, as you apply gentle pressure and run your thumb down so the wee will be expelled.

Be aware it might go over your boots though lol.

Rgds D2D

On the subject of squeezing out the wee, is this really necessary? None of the rabbits we shoot are de-peed as it were, we just knock the guts straight out of them. I've never noticed any tainted taste in the meat? I asked the guys who have been doing it for years and the answer was a unanimous '******** to that, takes too long to squeeze 20 bunnies!'.

The rabbits are 'oystered' (that's what they call it), when they get back, split through the pelvis and the glands and all the remaining poo chute is binned.

Oh, and I'm a Norwich boy too. They exiled me when they realised both eyes look in the same direction and my parents are completely unrelated :welcomeani:

That'll be the narfark in yer boy!

Point taken, although the original question still stands, if you knock the guts out at the end (I'm guessing the bladder and wot not is included) is it necessary provided you don't puncture the bladder?

Not trying to be difficult, it is just an honest question. Most people recommend de-peeing, it makes sense, these guys don't bother (one is a butcher by trade and has been shooting all his life). I shot two last night, and I did de-pee them before dropping them off.

Tonight is bunny burger time, we've got 50 of the little bugglers to process!

the bladder empties if you touch it even lightly, so it's just cutting down on the chance of contamination

Right enough, I'll carry on squeezing mine, they can do what they like I guess.

The oystering, well, I'll try and look again tonight, trouble is he's so flippin fast you can barely see whats going on, I'll see if I can get him to do one in slow mo. From what I can see he splays the back legs and makes a couple of cuts, then pulls the lot out. It takes him about 4 seconds to do it though, guess that's what you get after a lifetime of butchery.

Takes me about 4 minutes to just skin one on my own!

i have found thateven though i squeeze out the pee on occasionsthe bladder will not empty,upon opening up the belly the bladder has been found to be full.to deal with this i pinch the base of the bladder betwean finger and thumb,twist and pull to remove,only takes a second to do,and ive never had any contamination or split a bladder yet :welcomeani::welcomeani::welcomeani: