Best time to get rabbits?

Vectra26

I personally prefer late evening at this time of the year (I'm not a morning person),but definitely lamping when the nights start to draw in earlier (Around mid to late September onwards). I find it much more productive on the lamp with a moderated .22LR fitted with a 3-9 X 50 scope and a scope mounted lamp with red filter, especially if you make a point of not over shooting the land!

Edited by Frenchieboy

It honestly depends on the time that the rabbits are disturbed most.

You'll find rabbits will change there habbits depending on what is going around them . Think what time the rabbits are being disturbed and it's the least likely time they'll be out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

interesting question,

one shoot in godstone my pal and i go to semi regularly the rabbits are early morning, between about 5am and 8am and weirdly 2pm in the afternoon we always start seeing more. I read an interesting chapter in a book on wild rabbits, which stated that you can force the rabbits to be out when you want them to be. within reason. so it went like this, if you want day time active rabbits, you hammer them at all hours of the night and leave well alone in the day, and vice versa. I have never tried it but would be really interested in seeing if it worked to some obvious level.

Any one with any experience of this activity control.

G

On my main permission the bunnies are out all day. the area is a mixed bag of hay meadow, water meadow, woodland, and sugarbeet.

When i first met the land owner and had a walk round we were literally tripping over the damn things, this was about 5pm on a summer afternoon. With such a varied area of land i found it quite easy to shoot a few in one area, then walk along and catch a few more and so on and so on until i'd usually had enough after about 4-5 hrs. If the bunnies were in short supply there were always crows and pigeon to take care of, also some fox although i was asked to leave them as they help with the bunnies. I cant wait for the rabbit population to pick up again so i can get back there soon. I could do with another permission like this one so it would keep me busy all year.