Swan dead in field

ziplex

I went on some rape stubble yesterday, had a few birds but found them hard to decoy so decided to pack in and make my way back to the car. The Pointer was given a free reign and went about 500 yards across one field, came to an abrupt halt and bounced backwards, she seemed a bit agitated so I called her back, put the gear in the car and sent her back out to the spot. She took me to a large Mute Swan, I assume a fox had been at it as there were feathers everywhere and it was more or less gutted and I guess had been there a few days.

Any ideas? are they taken by fox?

i watched a big dog fox while out on the marsh one morning, he trotted about a mile from where i first saw him always following dyke edges zig zagging around each marsh when he was about 100yds from me he suddenly jumped into the dyke to reappear a few seconds later with an almost full grown cygnet which he then trotted away with, i reckon a big dog fox would take an adult swan

mikee

any powerlines overhead

Power lines are frequent culprits of otherwise unexplained swan deaths.

Blackpowder

I reckon you may well be right guys....there are power lines around the field and over the motorway, a fair way off but I suppose the bird could of come down at an angle from high up or might of been dragged to where it was. I guess we'll put it down to an unlucky/daft bird then. :lol:

We get quite a few dead and injured swans on Romney Marsh (mainly because of the density of the birds) and most of them hit power lines, occasionally telegraph wires and some even hit trees.

There was always the story that swans flew out to sea when they sensed the end of their natural life approaching.

A bit like the "elephants graveyard" phenomena.

walking to my swim on a lake i noticed a swan in the middle of a field of wheat dropped my tackle at the swim and went back to the swan it was very subdued i picked it up under my arm holding its wings down it never tried to stuggle i placed it down at the side of my box on a platform and rung the rspca

it took a drink of water from the lake but happily sat at the side of my box whilst i fished it seemed to be livening up a bit and took another drink an hour later it stood up and got in the lake the rspca arrived to watch it swim off apparantly its common for swans to get stuck in tall crops they cant fly out as they need a runoff to get airborn and they can quickly dehydrate which is what this one had done and i dont think foxy would turn his nose up at a free banquet