Apples

darren m

i,ve got 40 trees worth B)

any ideas what i can do with them ;)

......and after the cider making give the resulting "pommace" to the local farmer for his cattle and you never know he may be kind in return. If not put it out for the local deer population and take a harvest of them too.

Always worth stewing up a pie filling that you can freeze in portion-sized amounts.

I did this very successfully last year with some plentiful but otherwise non-descript apples from a friend's garden. With a little bit of rich pastry, individual hot apple pies (in little ramekins) are always a winner.

• Core, peel and cut the apples into quarters (depending on the size, but you want half a chance of some bits left when you're done)

• Put them in a nice big, heavy-based saucepan/stockpot

• Pour over a splash of good cider just to moisten everything (but not drown it), and just a sprinkling of sugar to take the edge off (be careful not to over-sweeten it at this stage)

• Add spices of your choice - best done in a spice bag.

• Cover and bring very, very slowly to a simmer. The slower your heating process, the more chance you have of a nice lumpy filling.

Stir very infrequently so as not to break up the pieces too much.

My personal favourite spices with apples are cinammon (de rigour), cloves, cardamon and allspice.

All the best!

:look:

LS

PS: Don't forget to get all the air out before you freeze the filling, this is best achieved by ladling the filling into freezer bags and the sucking out the air before knotting the bags. If you do use freezer bags, remember to leave some slack in the tops to allow for expansion.