What can we do for shooting sports .

Harnser

And this is why when the next 'incident' takes place we're going to get our pants pulled down again ;)

I don't know the exact reasoning behind the inability to merge but i hope its not down to petty individuals protecting their jobs to the detriment of the sport as a whole.

Mark

Breastman ,its the ivory tower syndrome . Iam here and nobody is going to move me . I have such a wonderful time here and I will not give it up .

Harnser

and back to your original question Harnser what we can all do is participate in our sport and introduce new people to it. Fundamentally shooting won't get banned as its still a humane way of controlling pests. The general public know that, what they didn't know about was that chasing foxes for miles then letting dogs rip them apart was humane as well. Theres a big difference and not wanting to start that argument again there is a big difference. Ok parts of the sport are more at threat than others such as game bird shooting so we don't want to relax too much but the country would be in chaos without firearms, after all the Deer numbers are already too high causing more and more road accidents.

Our ability to hold firearms ok has been eroded but I'm fully behind checking people are suitable and that they ought to own firearms. I hate the idea of every Tom **** and Harry having them as you then get the situation with air guns and regular shooting incidents by people who shouldn't have them.

Kos have you noticed how much the royal family influence government as a whole before focussing on their patronage of the BASC, they have to act subtly and can no longer make the rules hence they give their backing to various organisations.

al4x , wouldnt it be possible to ban guns out right and licence just a few people to have guns for pest control . I am absolutly convinced that any government no matter what side of the house they sit would rather ban guns outright if they could ,rather than allow citizens to have them . In my mind that is the reason why we should promote shooting sports and join an association to protect our sport .

Harnser .

Good reply Harnser, they have done that in other countries such as China and in Communist Russia where only government troops could have guns, so they could do it again in the future where civillians will be strictly forbidden to own them and then have a special division of the military called pest control.

"Our ability to hold firearms ok has been eroded but I'm fully behind checking people are suitable and that they ought to own firearms. I hate the idea of every Tom **** and Harry having them as you then get the situation with air guns and regular shooting incidents by people who shouldn't have them."

I think that there should be basic criminal checks for licences so if you do have a criminal record or mental health problems then no firearm for you, plus an optional safety course. However once this has been cokmpleted I don't think government should restrict the number of firearms available, calibre or who owns them.

I agree with Koz08, there should be stricter licensing of the individual, but I would add compulsory safety courses for each discipline, compulsory DSC for stalkers and ethics courses for anyone wanting CCW. I would also include a similar requirement for air guns and bows.

Then, providing you meet the grade, any firearm should be available.

Hmm not sure if stricter licencing but a way to ensure that people are more firearm conscious, a bit like you have the Green cross roads for crossing then you should have a similar code for handling firearms for everyone. Now what BASC does and other organisations is educate shooters and people wanting to take up shooting on correct and safe handling of firearms and hunting but perhaps maybe this should be taught to kids in clubs like scouts and even an optional class in school.

In this way kids grow up viewing a firearm as a normal piece of equipment in a home much like a hammer, so maybe it would get kids treating firearms with respect. This will go a longer way in stoping yobs and the ASBO generation from misusing firearms and hopefully when they grow up as adults are lesslikely to bve involved in firearm offenses.

Again back to the OP - What can we do for shooting sports ?

How about taking some cooked game to work and letting people try it ?? Take some meat in to the people who enjoyed it ! Perhaps at some stage they will want to try harvesting their own meat ?

Take small steps to help others understand what is so good about our sport.

I will try and help our sport by passing any members name and address to the secretary of the club that I belong to for membership .

The club is the , holt and district rifle and pistol club . We are situated at corpusty in north Norfolk . The range is an outdoor range situated in an old sand and gravel pit . All shooting is done from covered firing points . There is a 10 lane 25 metre range for all pistol calibres and black powder guns . There is a 10 lane 50 metre .22 rimfire range and a 100 metre 10 lane .22 rimfire range . The range is proberbly one of the best in norfolk and most county small bore comps are held on this range .

If any body is interested in joining a club in norfolk pm me and I will put you in touch with the secretary .

Harnser .

Get your non-shooting friends and relatives along to Bisley next weekend (Sat 5th Sept) for the Open Day. They will be able to have a go at various disciplines to see what suits them.

Preregistration is required, details can be found here.

Also, you could volunteer your time to help out on the ranges for the day ;)

Edited by LostWomble

join the shooting club, which supports the closest rifle range which is 100 miles away..... ;)

I am a member of BASC but so far am less than impressed with the effort they have put into this sport locally.

To see a person very close to me who contacted BASC about a SGC being revoked was told to "contact a solicitor but it could cost alot" ......what a joke....

BASC apparently covers the North east of scotland yet the one clay pigeon club (which is about 50 miles away from the city) in in recievership and the rifle range is by invitation only and you need to be vouched in, that really makes it easy for new comers to enter the sport...NOT!

Edited by gixer1

To see a person very close to me who contacted BASC about a SGC being revoked was told to "contact a solicitor but it could cost alot" ......what a joke....

They told me to do the same before they would help me on a refusal for a dispatch pistol. I paid £400 to the solicitor of their choice for a barristers appraisal of my case. He said I probably wouldn't get an unrestricted so go for a 2 shot which he supported and thought BASC would. The solicitor changed my application with the police.

Meanwhile I had to go to court on my own for directions as BASC were dragging their feet, and face the police QC on my own (with a little telephone support from the solicitor). With the main hearing looming the solicitor was chasing BASC daily to get a response which finally came through as a no, which shocked the solicitor. The reason I was given was that I had changed the application so it looked like I was 'trying it on', but the reason I changed was due to advice from the QC they recommended. :/

Having met and spoken with J Swift ;) at a game fair I contacted him to find out the reason for this decision despite the support of the solicitor (who reckoned it could be worth a test case). After some weeks I eventually got patronising letter along the lines of 'sometimes decisions don't go the way we would like and it can be disappointing...'. I couldn't afford to retain the solicitor on my own so I dropped the appeal. A great result for the police against gun ownership thanks to BASC. :no:

Time passed and membership renewal arrived in the post. The posh totty that answered the phone seemed genuinely surprised I wanted to resign...

Myself and my circle of friends that shoot will also have a loud laugh when it comes to renewal time for the BACS membership, the only reason i ended up with them again was my wife thought she was doing me a favour by carrying on the membership for another year. :no:;)

The only thing I've done for shooting is to continue being enthusiastic about it and do a few things that :-

I've passed on what knowledge I have.

I've offered to take people shooting.

I've given away game to those who have shown an interest.

All those little things - in a year alone - has seen six people at my office all become interested to such a level that they have either bought airguns or have applied for their SGC, with a view to going clay shooting with me.

I reckon, if we all do something little then we will help massively. ;)

The only thing I've done for shooting is to continue being enthusiastic about it and do a few things that :-

I've passed on what knowledge I have.

I've offered to take people shooting.

I've given away game to those who have shown an interest.

All those little things - in a year alone - has seen six people at my office all become interested to such a level that they have either bought airguns or have applied for their SGC, with a view to going clay shooting with me.

I reckon, if we all do something little then we will help massively. ;)

Indeed Toombsy , carry on the good work .

Harnser .