Snaring Foxes- :)

Ferretboy111

Hello all;

I dont usually post up pictures of the foxes I shoot or snare, Im up to 18 foxes (Adults and cubs) through snaring and shooting on my 850 acre shoot since a week before harvest.

I lamp practically every night and havent seen many recently; however ive had 8 snares set around a 3-5 acre wood for around a month now with no luck. Last night i re-set the snares as the poults keep knocking them down during the day, i was using hazel as a tealer and 2 foot long rods as an anchor.

Checked this morning and amazingly I caught two dog foxes, not very old around the wood.

Now up to 20 :no:

First foxey caught in specially set runs using my truck on the woods grass margin- P8270005.jpg

Anchor head- P8270003.jpg

Second fox in a gap sprayed off with roundup between a pond and a wood- (Hay is everywhere as the fox has scrabbed at a bale used for poults too stand and look off)

P8270012.jpg

And here the two are-

P8270017.jpg

Both were dispatched with a .410, gives those poults and red legs abit more of a chance

Many thanks

Alex ;)

Well done fellas :good: Good results :yp:

Although snares are not to everyones liking,they are an effective means of control and it,s up to the individual to decide whether he/she wants to use them and shouldn,t be questioned about an activity they are legally carrying out,especially whenthey have tried to carry out this activity within the letter of the law and to ensure that it is as humane as possible.The fact they took guns with them for despatch proves this.

I use any legal method to kill foxes, as from writing my 14,000 word dissertation on radio tagging red leg partridges more partridges die from foxes than people would think. I shoot them, I snare them, I use terriers for flushing to guns.

:stupid: Funny thing is that I lamp most nights, and hadnt seen a single fox around this wood. Yet put out some snares, and two are caught. I guess that some foxes are just too clever for lamping. Think ive shot 15 out of the 20 foxes shot since harvest, the other 5 are from snares.

:hmm:

I think that even though snaring foxes might not be to everyones taste in some cases it is the only practical option, as long as it is done correctly. Ferretboy seems to be doing everything that he can to do this within the letter of the law, and as he has stated, some foxes are a little too wise to be lamped.

I personally would prefere not to use snares but I do not have any problem with those who do as long as they know what they are doing, which Ferretboy obviously does. As several others have said if that is what needs to be done to protect your poultry, game bitds, etc; then so be it!

Well done Ferretboy! :stupid:

One of the guns who regularly lamps for fox,s on his shot showed me where he kept seeing an old dog fox that would not respond to calling, if he tried to get closer it just seemed to melt away. He was sure it was the same fox because he could see a scab mark on it,s left hind leg. Any way two day,s later I had him in a snare LOTW

yeah each to there own but snaring isn't doing it for me as far as foxes go i worked on a few farms where foxes were present but i belive a gun or fox hunting is more humane but this is obviously just my opinion i have snared rabbits but i do belive there was a snare ban on something cant remember what it was tho but anyway happy hunting j