Boar shoting caliber?

stevethevanman

Steve

I use both a sa shotgun with solid slugs ot to 5o meters and they will group @ 3" with 5 shots which is good for wild boar the key to shooting slugs is to practice with them. i have shot over 200 slugs with my gun.you can not get a rifled barrel for a semi auto shot gun in the UK as it would be clased as a section 5 rifle.

Most of the people who have tried solid slugs abroad have only fired maybe 4 or 5 and the do not no is there gun shoots high or low or to the right or left and they are only shooting with the front bead sight as there aiming point ( try that on a rifle and see what it groups like?)

As for rifles i would go for ...270 with 150 gr bullets or 308 with 180 gr 3006, and any thing above is well suited to shooting boar .

I use a .308 browning underlever with a box mag and .444marlin underlever as they point well and are quick to reload in a hurry.!!!! they are topped of with a red dot sight or a low power 1-5x -24 scope.

I also think that in turkey you can only hunt wild boar with shotguns and not rifles and they do not like you wearing cammo clothing just to warn you.

Bob

Hi Scott

I use a Benelli super 90 Lh with 3" chamber and a 28" barrel and cyl or 1/4 choke. and use seller & Bellot 2,3/4" 1oz slugs. Guns with 3,1/2" chambers do not seam to like slugs shorter than 3" as they tend to be less accurate must be the bullet jump in the chamber i think ?.

i have tru-glo fixed rifle sights that fit on the barrel they cost £20.00 when i bought them 4 yrs ago and also a custom made B square scope mount that has a red dot sight on it which i can take off or put on quite easily.

bob.

bob

cheers for the reply i would not have thought 1/4 was big enough.!

i guess you lern something every day . :sly:

Sounds like a nicely kitted out semi ,just the job.

iam very supprised that mungler s FAC 9 shot extrema2 was not up to it.(sounds great)

cheers

scott

Edited by mr salt

.308 winchester is an effective , accurate mild big game cartridge for medium size big game. its mild to shoot if you like shooting paper and it will effective kill boars and all the medium size big game in the world. if i was going for moose, large bear, and hunting in africa i would go for a larger more powerful rifle. i enjoy the .308 because it does not beat me up at the range.

.308 winchester is an effective , accurate mild big game cartridge for medium size big game. its mild to shoot if you like shooting paper and it will effective kill boars and all the medium size big game in the world. if i was going for moose, large bear, and hunting in africa i would go for a larger more powerful rifle. i enjoy the .308 because it does not beat me up at the range.

Out of interest, what factory ammo have you found that works the best for you?

I'll throw in here that no matter which rifle you choose, if you go that route, pay close attention to your choice of bullets. Accuracy is only part of the deal. For the toughness of a pig's front end, and to make a shot that will kill him where you shoot him, bullets like the Swift A-Frame, Scirocco, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, etc. A good quality bonded bullet for sure.

I would not use partitions on boar myself, although I'm certain they have killed alot of pigs. It takes alot for a bulet to hold together long enough to pass the "shield", break up a shoulder and still be able to do more damage after that. I've seen other bullets turn to confeti once inside a pig.

A good friend's brother in Alberta who should have known better shot the black bear of his life with a 300 Win, but was using Speer Hot-Cor bullets, and he made a good shot at 100 yards, rolled the bear, but it was never found. It can happen, but the bullet choice didn't make us very confident walking around in the willows looking for a wounded bear.

Pete

We have in Germany loads of pig and I shoot all my driven and day time pig with a .308, use a 9.3 at night and on some drives.Any 308 bullet of 180 grain plus at LESS than 80 m which is where you want to be shooting piggy will do the trick.You can shoot the most expensive, or the cheapest round( as long as it is minimum soft nosed) and it will do the damage needed.

Pig are hard, very very hard, and to be able to say 100% drop dead every time I suggest buyind a cvrt scimitar and trying 30mm prac and above.

Pig somtimes drop, sometimes dont, and how far it will run if you do not, can not give it a second follow up is up to the pig and how hard he is feeling.

I have seen pig with entry wound, exit wound, practically no heart and lung make near a KM.

Hard *******!!

Place the shot correctly and the round will do its job, through the shoulder is not correct!!Behind the shoulder, through rib and into lung and heart is correct, and when shooting pig its a little lower than with the deer species as the heart sits a bit lower.

Before one of the much loved American cousins comes on, we are talking about what you call russian boar thouroughbreads, not what roams much of the states and is a cross and much much softer.I have hunted in Texas and some piggies theer look like russians and some look like they came from the farm , all wild but very very different.

As far as the bullet goes hope this helped, 180 grain minimum from the .308 and a soft nose, and know where its going and where it is required.

I have a friend that shoots driven boar somewhere in France every year. he said the majority there are taken using brenneke slugs.

he says they are extremely tough animals though and more than capable of doing you some damage if you dont stop them in their tracks. He says he has seen several people hurt by boar that have been shot and not stopped, and they have just charged straight at the shooter.

Apparently they can move at quite a pace, and a big, angry, wounded boar coming at you like a train is a pretty scary experience !

Lee