WHAT SILENCER IS THE BEST

deputy dog

I MENTIONED IN MY LAST POST THAT I HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFULL OBTAINING MY FAC LICENSE. I'V PRETTY MUCH NARROWED IT DOWN TO 2 MAKES OF GUN. I.E, CZ AND SAVAGE .17 HMR'S. MY QUESTION IS ?. WHAT SILENCER IS BEST FOR EITHER MAKE. I KNOW IT SOUNDS DAFT, BUT WHEN YOU NEW TO A CERTAIN TYPE OF SHOOTING. SOME GUN SHOPS WILL TRY AND SELL YOU ANY OLD SCRAP, JUST TO MAKE A BUCK OR 2 :yes: . ANY OTHER ACCESSORIES WHICH COULD BE USEFULL LIKE BIPODS, OR ANY THING ELSE. I WOULD BE GRATEFULL FOR ANY INPUT GIVEN. I'D RATHER HAVE SOME IDEA AS NOT TO COME ACROSS A RIGHT PLONKER. SO THE DEALER WONT SEE ME COMING THRU BIG WINDOWS.

:rolleyes::blush: :blink:

PS

GOOD SHOOTING TO ALL

THANKS

GARETH :good:

I have both the SAK and the Scirroco SM11.

There is nothing between them but if I had to pick one it would be the SAK. It is just less fiddly.

I also have the above and a DM80. Out of the 3 I prefer the DM80 - not a great deal of difference between them sound reuction wise but the DM80 looks better on the rifle :rolleyes:

i have an A&M custom sound mod on my hmr

cost £35 from my rfd (while on the a&m website they are in the £60 - 70 range)

they are very good in my view...

it will always break the sound barrier the other end but i find using this nearly as quiet as a .22 at the rifle end (in an open space)

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT, I'L A BIT MORE CONFIDENT NOW WHEN I GO TO BUY MY RIFLE COMBO. POSTY AINT BEEN TODAY YET :look: . SO THE MAGIC PIECE OF PAPER COULD STILL COME THRU TODAY. COULD BE OUT WITH NEW COMBO TOMORROW PUT SOME AMMO DOWN RANGE AT PRACTICE TARGETS. AND MAY I SAY THANKS AGAIN TO YOU ALL WHO HAVE GIVEN TIME TO WRITE AND GIVE ME THE INFORMATION I HAVE ASKED FOR. ITS ALL BEEN GRATEFULLY RECEIVED AND WILL BE PUT TO GOOD USE. :good::yes::) . wILL BE GLAD TO LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW MY 1ST COUPLE OF HUNTING TRIPS GO WITH MY NEW RIFLE. GOOD SHOOTING TO ALL :good::good::good:

GARETH :good::good:

For a decent, cheap SOUND MODERATOR i would go for a SAK. It does the job, easy to clean and cheap to replace when its worn out :good:

Even though they are cheap a sak mod is not designed for the .17. Yes I know they are cheap but if you want a dedicated HMR mod then it has to be a wildcat. I know they are heavy money at around 125 quid but I burnt out two SAK mods in as many months and it was the advice of the gunsmith which I took.

Hi there,

The SAK is good on the 22lr, but you can use it on the 17HMR...however it is not as good as some other makes.

People will tell you that the DM80 is the best, it is very big, and comes with a long wait.

Personaly, at the moment wildcat makes the best moderators, I would suggest, a whisper moderator, or a PES.

Steve

Guest topshot_2k
Even though they are cheap a sak mod is not designed for the .17. Yes I know they are cheap but if you want a dedicated HMR mod then it has to be a wildcat. I know they are heavy money at around 125 quid but I burnt out two SAK mods in as many months and it was the advice of the gunsmith which I took.

yes they are they just are not proofed hence the lower price than most others. mine is 4years old and fired over 1500 rounds and still going strong. I undertsand there are better built mods but for the money its unbeatable :yes: