Mods for a .243

robmiller

i personally dont see how the hell a shorten barrel can be more accurate when it clearly has less twists in. Everyone knows if you shorten the barrel its less accurate and velocity is reduced, making the round not as fast or flat. If short barrels were just as accurate we would all be shooting with 10 inch barrels. What is the basis for this claim. :lol: ps if using in a vehical it woyld be rather diffice trying to get a rifle with a silencer add out of the window i a hurry. hence why they have to shortne the barrel, to make it pratical.

Edited by zipdog

The number of twists in a barrel has nothing to do with its accuracy! A longer barrel means a slower lock time so the potential (only potential)for reduced accuracy.

If you want to shoot accurately over a long distance, say 600-1000 yards, then a long barrel will be better because you get more fps. As you say, this will help give more velocity and a greater chance of keeping a 308 supersonic out to 1000 yards.

If you go to a 100 yard benchrest shoot where all they care about is accuracy, you will find rifles with shorter, very fat barrels which are very stiff and heavy.

For sporting shooting we need a compromise between the two.

Neither of my centrefire rifles were shortened to fit the moderator, and in a vehicle the longest would be a pain. It isn't used in a vehicle though so I don't HAVE to shorten it.

Obviously no one would use 10 inch barrels because you'd only burn a fraction of your powder. As I said, it's all about choosing the barrel that suits what you want to do.

Edited by chrisv

Your cousin is either daft or deaf! Get a mod, they're great! They do spoil the lines of the gun and the handling of it, but then I find that wearing hearing protection whilst out stalking really spoils the whole exercise of hearing all the distant bird song, the Deer crunching leaves as it walks and the squirrels running in the trees. Stalking with hearing protection isn't the same.

A mod is cheaper than a set of ear defenders which will allow you to hear these things, and due to it being a firearm component, you're less likely to lose it too!

Your cousin is either daft or deaf! Get a mod, they're great! They do spoil the lines of the gun and the handling of it, but then I find that wearing hearing protection whilst out stalking really spoils the whole exercise of hearing all the distant bird song, the Deer crunching leaves as it walks and the squirrels running in the trees. Stalking with hearing protection isn't the same.

A mod is cheaper than a set of ear defenders which will allow you to hear these things, and due to it being a firearm component, you're less likely to lose it too!

I wear the electronic ear defenders to enhance the sound of the country side whilst out stalking ,its like having two hearing aids . Its a bit of a pain wearing them but if I dont ,I dont know if the rifle has gone off .

Harnser .

personally on a big rifle i would not have a moderator, reason you will loose accuracy as they have to shorten the barrel, you will loose velocity and it will have a negitive impact on the handling of the rifle. You still get a somic boom and so will never get two shots at one fox with or with out a moderator. If so very unusall and unlikly to happen again. If you wear a pair of ear muffs there is no need.

i was out shooting foxes early in the morning and i let my mate have a go and he missed a fox with the first shot from an unmoderated .223 at about 120yrds and the fox just looked back and started walking down the hedgerow he walked about 130 yards across us then stopped then my mate shot it with the second shot, the fox didnt even register the shot.

last week i went out lamping with the keepers and one of the keepers was using a .223 with a wildcat p8 moderator on it and the ammo he was using got mixed up with other .223 rounds so the poi was differnt with every shot but he didnt know this until he finally shot the fox, long story short the fox stayed put and was shot with the 8th shot yes it took 8 shots to shoot the fox and it wasnt a cub its was a dog fox and it was about 3-4 years old, the fox just sat there and when shot at it moved either left/right/forward/backwards it didnt know what the hell was going on so zipdog you can get more than one shot off at the same fox.

Everyone knows if you shorten the barrel its less accurate and velocity is reduced

I agree a shorter barrel will have a lower velocity but your claim that a shorter barrel is less accurate is nonsense. If anything a shorter barrel, within reason, is likely to be more accurate simply because there is less deflection. When the rifle is fired it sets the barrel vibrating. The longer the barrel the greater the muzzle deflection it's basic trigonometry. In any event there is no requirement to shorten the barrel. The reflex suppersors only extend a few inches beyond the original muzzle.

As for the question of whether or not to fit a moderator. To me it's a no brainer. I agree it spoils the looks of the rifle but having moved to a country where moderators are illegal I really miss my mods. Firing a .243 without a moderator results in obnoxious muzzle blast and a fireball out the end of the barrel. I dislike wearing ear defenders and with a moderator fitted they are unecessary.

Edited by Rem223

zipdog the bases for this claim is on articles that i have read mostly on u.s. sites that state a shorter varmint barrel does not vibrate or osculate as much as a longer thinner one when the gun is fired and i don't know if you reload your own cartridges but if you study reloading tables you will see that the fastest loads are never the most accurate so the reduced velocity from a shorter barrel may contribute to accuracy as well and as i never shoot at anything beyond around 300yds and mostly from a vehicle a more compact set up meets my needs perfectly

Never say never on the fastest loads, but it's not an everyday thing for sure!

Short barrel is generally a velocity reducer but not always, and saying it's less accurate is nonsense. My Remington 223 with a 20 inch barrel is plenty good :good: I've also had friends with rifles which have been chopped and they shot just as straight afterwards.

A mod is cheaper than a set of ear defenders which will allow you to hear these things

Come on Stuart, keep up! I know you can get a set of ear defenders for a fiver but they're not good. To get a set that allow you to hear as well as you could without them is a different matter. I've looked at them in the past and my mod was cheaper!