Very successful nights work

tikkamark

Thought id stick up some pics of my latest foxing outing with a buddy of mine last Saturday night it was a fairly productive night with four foxes accounted for and all of them in areas where we will be releasing pheasants shortly so i was very pleased!

The friday afternoon i set my tikka for 55gr winchester silver-tips and now due to rust my t8 is a write off so i had to zero for the lack of a moddy on the barrel too :yes: The inital group was nice and tight at 1/2" but low to the right so i adjusted the clicks on the kahles and brought it back spot on 1" high as i like to have it,a perfect central shot at a 1" target at 200yards put a smile on my face :good: I lamped solo on friday night and managed a vixen in a wheat stubble field at about 100yrds-it was the first ever fox i shot with my tikka without the mod and have to say its pretty loud on a still night even with ear muffs :good:

Saturday night i went out with podge in his jeep to mainly give a shine and a quick call in some of the many wheat fields that have been recently been cut with the latest spell of half decent weather we had,the first field we went to was just up the road from podge's house in an area where we would do a bit of walked up game shooting.We shone around and didnt see much so we went to a rise in the centre of the field and i hopped out and got the rifle ready on the roof and called with the rabbit distress call on the electronic call....it took a good 10mins for podge to spot a pair of eyes bouncing in over the rows of un-baled wheat the fox came it to about 90yrds and started to edge slowly away from us from left to right it paused side on on top of a row and i settled the x on her shoulder and squeezed them BOOOOMMM....thud :lol: The pro-9 ear defenders do a pretty good job of taking away the worst of the blast though.

If you look closely at the pic you can see the trail of blood which stretched about ten yards the far side of the fox :lol: The winchesters seem to be extremely hard hitting.

The second fox was shot in stubble field number 2 which the farmer had just finished baling a few hours previous,as we drove up the field i spotted the fox a large dog sitting beside the tractor and lowloader which was left in the field overnight.It was a straightforward shot as the fox was sitting lovely looking straight at us chest on at 145yrds i squeezed and dropped that fox without so much as a twitch :drool:

Foxy number 3 was shot in yet another stubble field and was part of a very clever pair of foxes that managed to avoid me and shane a week previous to that when i spotted her she was sitting in a ditch on the boundry of the field were we lost her the last night...i hopped out of the passenger seat and went round the back of the jeep to rest the rifle in the time it took to do this the fox had sat up and started to walk off,i knew it wouldnt hang around too much so i settled my breathing and followed her for what seemed like 20mins but in reality was only 1 or 2 till she stopped to sniff one of the rows of wheat i quickly settled and let the shot go dropping her on the spot yet again at 170yards the bullet hit pinpoint accurate,really starting to like these winchesters!!

(podge also sunk the jeep in a swampy patch in that field that lay totally hidden but with a bit of skillful driving got it back out somehow!but i wont dwell on that part too much :good: )

The fourth and final fox of the night at about 4am was shot off a private lane through a patch of forestry i spotted him lying flat out about 150yards i could only see the tips of his ears so i gave a quick squeek and the fox lifted his head i was very confedent of the bullets at this stage so settled the x between his eyes and sent him on a very quick trip into foxy heaven.

This fox was huge and pretty old judging by the condition of his knashers im sure i seen him in that field in the past but never got the chance of a shot but got lucky that night :drool:

Very happy with that we headed home.I hope to get the chance to get out at them a bit more this winter than last winter :yes:

post-6430-1252368112.jpg

I agree amost excellent write up and cracking photo's- keep up the good work lol

Les :no:

Cheers lez :lol:

Good account of a very successful night,s work Mark,glad to see the Tikka is still shooting straight. :yes:

Still got hardly any fox here,they don,t seem to have recovered from the last few years control for some reason :yes:

Off rabbit bashing now,keep up the good work mate :good:

Which mod are you going to replace the T8 with then??

Hows it going jeff :) Yeah the tikka's still shooting 100%....its a very reliable rifle :yes:

Its no wonder theres hardly any foxes there after all the 'cheating' you done in the past :P

Hopefully you nailed a few bunnys...do you still have your extrema?

Im trying to get a firearm dealer to get me a predator 8 mod they look a really good design and totally corrosion resistant but hes saying hes having trouble finding one with a m18x1 thread :/

gud lad mark gud write up does our expidition justice any way and the photos we took came out horrid well we have to keep up to gud work :yes::good:

Thats the plan anyway podge,with the evenings getting shorter i should be able to head out during the weeks :yes:

Thanks for the replys lads :good:

Hows it going jeff :good: Yeah the tikka's still shooting 100%....its a very reliable rifle :no:

Its no wonder theres hardly any foxes there after all the 'cheating' you done in the past :good:

Hopefully you nailed a few bunnys...do you still have your extrema?

Im trying to get a firearm dealer to get me a predator 8 mod they look a really good design and totally corrosion resistant but hes saying hes having trouble finding one with a m18x1 thread :good:

"Cheating" how very dare you,think you,ve been listening to that Galway fella to much :lol:

Yeah, still got the Extrema,and it,s still only fired about 25 carts :yes: note to oneself, "use that expensive toy of yours"

Mixi has been about on the farm we shot on this morn,but got 11 or so healthy ones to feed the ferrets and had some fun with the rimfires.was nice to fire a few shots again.

I,ve got a Predator 8 on my .243 and i really like it,and Rob(magman) has the Predator 8 Compact on his .223.really light and quiet,i,d be thinking of 1 of them if i were you.

Try here,sure these are the main dealer.Sure these are who i got in touch with when i had trouble with the local dealer over the .30 caliber baffle they told me would be just as quiet as the .25 cal.It wasn,t and after i complained to these,the local dealer could not have been more helpful :yes: and they advertise your size.

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/sound_moderators.htm

Thanks for that link jeff theres a lot of info there,i definitly want one :lol: I held one in the shop and they feel really well made-ten times better looking compared to the t8 i currently have anyway :P The firearm dealer i went to was convinced they wernt made in the european sizes :hmm: Im just waiting on a licence to come through for a 682 gold E over and under to come through so when i get that i'll splash out on the predator-i think i'll go for the 12 baffle model.

I shot two foxes about 3 weeks ago with my extrema using 63grm bb shells there pretty effective to say the least :lol: