Idiot Alert!

Guest danielson23uk

Guest danielson23uk

Hi all,

I'm really sorry if this sort of stuff is child's play to you guys but actually this is why I'm here. I have loads of questions about air rifles and want to be responsible with my air rifle.

As I mentioned before I picked it up second hand. I have absolutely no idea what make, power, or anything else about it. It has no markings.

All I know is that it takes a .22 pellet and is cranked using the barrel. It came with a Crossman 4x15 scope (broken).

I know all this is very little to go by but what sort of power can I expect from this relatively generic rifle? I'm imagining it'll be less than 11 ft lb as otherwise the guy I got it from would've needed a FAC (is that right).

We have Grey Squirrel, Magpie, Pigeons and Foxes a plenty in my back garden and I want to do the right thing by dispatching them humanely and in line with the law. I suspect this rifle may not be ideal for foxes though.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Don't even think about using it on the foxes.

if it is 11 Ft lb then it should deal with the pigeons, squirrels and magpies, but if you are unsure you need to get it tested. there are now a lot of guns from china about that are under powered. So take it to a gunsmith who will be able to chrono it and tell you the power.

would prob just bounce of the fox or injure it and it will just run . and then possibly get in trouble with the law for animal cruelty i would take some shots at some wood at 30 yards and see if it is penetrating it , CHRONO means taking it to the gun shop where he will test the power of the gun with a device but i bet its under 10ft lb

foxes are legal quarry, but not with an air rifle.

take a photo of the gun and post it - should be able to identify it.

chrono - is a chronograph - a device which will measure the speed the pellets travel, and by inputting the pellet weight, you can work out the power output of the air rifle

Essex is to far south for me to be able to point you in the direction of a gunsmith, but there will be good ones about. Some advice though, get a gun slip that you can put the rifle in with its scope on. ( you will need to know how long it is ) It’s not advisable to go wandering down the high street with it unless it is in a slip, or any public place for that matter. Also attracts quite a fine and a possible spell in side if I remember rightly.

Also if you are going to take shooting up seriously join a club. Oh and get some insurance ( BASC, countryside alliance, SACS ) it will cost slightly more than the gun but not having it could cost a lot more. :no:

Cheers Alex,

Essex Gun is about a 5 min drive from me although I suspect that I will be investing in a better rifle as I'm getting a taste of it from reading your forum. I got it to take out the pests in the back garden so I'd never shoot further than maybe 40 ft. But I am very twitchy about my neighbours' consent to such activities so I'll probably just pursue my other new venture, getting a dog :no: and save this contraption for 'paper-punching' in the interim (get me using all the lingo!).

I noticed that many of you use a .177 for live targets. Why is this? I thought a bigger calibre would ensure a safer kill. Another reason to invest in a new toy :lol: !

You were doing so well, but then you went and asked THAT question :lol:

Another question you may want to use the search engine for is: Which is best: Spring, Ram, PCP or CO2 (guaranteed to start a fight :lol: ).

Welcome to the site though!

Don't worry about the negative replies so much. Learning sometimes costs.

Now there is a debate that has rumbled on for years. Tin hat time I think. it depends on the target and the range. .177's tend to have a higher mussel velocity, but the pellet is lighter. .22's are slower out the gun but carry more weight. faster lighter rounds have a flatter trajectory over the same distance than slower heavier rounds making them easier to use at longer distances. In a perfect world both would deliver the same energy to the target, but that would discount air resistance. It comes down to personal taste in the end. I prefer .22, but mostly because the pellets are easier to handle, being bigger.

Now for the tin hat bit :no:

I doubt it makes any real difference which you choose.

Here is a link to the review centre for the b2

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews752.html

They are ok target guns but can be under powered for hunting with, although at 20 yards they will put most birds and rabbits down with a head shot. I've never used a silencer on one so i can't comment on that

Below, I re-produce what is, IMO, the only review of SMK's you ever need. I am entirely grateful to Snakebite for this literary masterpiece.

Good point, the SMK has the added bonus of being able to dismantle itself after you have become disillusioned with it, thus making it easier to burn.

With a bit of fettling however you are able to get it to land within a 6' radius of the zero point each time you lob it at a rabbit. This is infact more accurate than actually shooting it. As another option, increasing it's versatility is that you can gaffa tape a kitchen knife to the end of it whilst your grandad shouts "They don't like it up 'em Mr. Mainwairing". Perfect for those Winter evening shenanigans when daylight is at a premium.

QUOTE (SNAKEBITE @ Apr 24 2007, 12:55 PM) *

Good point, the SMK has the added bonus of being able to dismantle itself after you have become disillusioned with it, thus making it easier to burn.

With a bit of fettling however you are able to get it to land within a 6' radius of the zero point each time you lob it at a rabbit. This is infact more accurate than actually shooting it. As another option, increasing it's versatility is that you can gaffa tape a kitchen knife to the end of it whilst your grandad shouts "They don't like it up 'em Mr. Mainwairing". Perfect for those Winter evening shenanigans when daylight is at a premium

Perfect review! This is the sort of stuff we need more of.

Below, I re-produce what is, IMO, the only review of SMK's you ever need. I am entirely grateful to Snakebite for this literary masterpiece.

With a bit of fettling however you are able to get it to land within a 6' radius of the zero point each time you lob it at a rabbit. This is infact more accurate than actually shooting it. As another option, increasing it's versatility is that you can gaffa tape a kitchen knife to the end of it whilst your grandad shouts "They don't like it up 'em Mr. Mainwairing". Perfect for those Winter evening shenanigans when daylight is at a premium.

Now that is funny, I nearly sprayed my monitor with a gob full of tea with that one. :lol::no:

It is a B2. I got one for the missus when she decided to do some target practice. I think it was £50 new she used it for a while but then it started to rust so gave it to a mate who's ten year old had started getting interested in shooting.

i chrono'd it new and it was from memory about 8ft lb. it did take down a few magpies in its time at close range. It is a great gun for kiddies to learn with but its certainly no hunting machine.

if you get down to the airgun centre at rayliegh, they do some great starter rifles, and they come with a lifetime (or as long as you own) gurantee

your nieghbours may complain, but cant stop you using the rifle in your garden, as long as no pellets cross over boundary fences, so make sure you have a good backstop in place

Edited by stubby