Hypaflap decoys

Lez325

I purchased some Hypaflap decoys along with 11 Sillosocks + heads + Magnet + Battery+ speed controller and a few other bits spent well over £200- only bought this equipment some 5 weeks back so not been abused or over used :blink:

When I tried to mount one of the Hypaflaps onto my magnet arm this morning- I found the thread within the Plastic Hypaflap mount has stripped - :yes:

My guess being a steel bolt into a plastic thread is never a good idea-and looking at the other Hypaflap its looking like the plastic thread on that one is also wearing thin as there appears to be shreds of plastic within the steel bolts thread - so Im one Hypaflap down now :good: and I dont want to run a magnet using just the one as it would upset the bearings in the motor is my guess

Has anyone else come across this problem and if so how did you get around it??

I thought maybe bond a 6mm nut on the outer edge and let that take the strain rather than the flimsy ( in my opinion) plastic thread contain within the Hypaflap mount???

As these items are some £25 each + £8.50 post- then buying new is not an option I wish to pursue just yet

any thoughts would be appreciated guys

Thanks for looking

Les :yes:

Edited by Lez325

i had an issue with somthing i was doing and sorted it by doing this

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=94036&hl=

...i take it your probleme would be solved in a simular way just that the insert would be threaded............but as stiv24 says if there new return them

Edited by BSA-airgunner

I can make you a threaded sleeve if you want No probs?:blink:

IVE got 2 Hypaflaps as well I havent had the problem you got yet but Ill keep an eye on them

Alan

PS

Ive just looked at mine there's no problem if your stuck I can help you, Just pm me

Alan :yes:

Edited by Alanl50

Design has changed as mine are definatley plastic - the thread screw is metal -The wing spreaders I bought - same principle are metal though- I will call UKSW tomorrow as they are not really new but only a few weeks old- I hope they can supply mounts as a spare - will keep you updated

Thanks for the responses guys

I can make you a threaded sleeve if you want No probs?:good:

IVE got 2 Hypaflaps as well I havent had the problem you got yet but Ill keep an eye on them

Alan

PS

Ive just looked at mine there's no problem if your stuck I can help you, Just pm me

Alan :yes:

Alan- you have pm Mate

Les :blink:

Mine have had a lot of use (and abuse) and I haven't had any problems.

If the thread has stripped, or is faulty, then telephone UKSW tomorrow and I am sure they will sort it out.

I don't think you should pay good money for something and then have to spend time (and more money) making it work.

I agree- :yes: they are definatley PLASTIC thread and metal hand screws guys in fact the whole mount is plastic thats why I was thinking of banding a 6mm nut to it

I have e mailed UKSW and will follow that with a phone call tomorrow afternoon- see what they can do"!

Thank you for the advice

Les :blink:

Edited by Lez325

Easiest way to get around it is to put a dead bird on the magnet, not a decoy.

but you need to get the dead bird to put onto the magnet??thats why we use decoys first,to attract the bird,shoot it then replace the decoy with the real bird,if you choose to,or am i missing something?:lol::yes: :yp:

Thats just what I do- use the Hypaflaps to attract the birds- shoot two and swap them over - so NO you aint missing anything fella :yes:

Les :yp:

If you keep two or more in the freezer, you don't need to attract any for the magnet. Just take them out, let them thaw and you have some perfect decoys.

When you're finished, throw the thawed ones in the hedge and replace them with a couple from your fresh bag.

but you need to get the dead bird to put onto the magnet??thats why we use decoys first,to attract the bird,shoot it then replace the decoy with the real bird,if you choose to,or am i missing something?:yes::lol::blush:

Thats just what I do- use the Hypaflaps to attract the birds- shoot two and swap them over - so NO you aint missing anything fella :yes:

Les :yp:

If the decoys are attracting the birds then why swap them over :yes:

If the decoys are attracting the birds then why swap them over :yp:

I do this as in my limited Pigeon shooting experience- dead birds do attract more live birds

Are we not ditracting from my original thread somewhat? :lol:

I have now drilled out the original plastic thread on the mount and slotted an M6 nut on the inside where you slot the magnet arm( to accomodate a new M6 x 30mm roof bolt-) which seems to work- only drawback is I have to use a screwdriver & long nosed pliers to tighten them up- will post photo's when I get in from work for those who have experienced a similar problem

I now have to carry a pair of pliers and a screwdriver in my truck or leave the Hypa's attached to the magnet arms

I still think the mount should have been made from metal and not plastic- I guess its a cheaper option as far as production goes!

Edited by Lez325

Update guys- with the assistance of Cranfield- UKSW have just telephoned me and will supply me with METAL mounts to replace the plastic ones on my Hypaflaps- apparently suppliers are using plastic mounts instead of metal ones :yp:

UKSW have insisted on metal mounts in future :lol:

Thanks to Cranfield for your help - youre a true gent and of course many thanks to UKSW for the new mounts what a splendid company- customer service second to none- I shall be using them again in the future

so all in all job sorted :yes:

Les :blush::yes:

Edited by Lez325