Towing eye question

harrycatcat1

Over the past week both my daughter and son required my services to pull them out of ice/snow problems as they both have rear wheel drive cars.

The thing I found there is no where to tie a tow rope, they both have tow eye things on the front and back.

My question is are they all the same thread/size etc so I could put one in my boot to use on any car?

or are they all different on all makes of car?

Regards

Hcc

I towed a chap out of some water the other week when I offered to give him a pull I was surprised to see him take a little plastic bung out of the front of his car and go in the boot for this thing that he screwed in I thought it was quite a neat way of doing it I pulled him home about a mile down the road and he gave me £25 I was not expecting that but it was nice of him I thought.

They are all different. I had to be towed off the car park at Bobbin Mill a few weeks ago - mudbath. Took the towing hook out of the boot - wrong thread. The car is one year old - had to find a towing point underneath.

Got home - I was going to get another one, when I found the original tucked away. Lord knows why it had two.

Edited by Gordon R

They are all different. I had to be towed off the car park at Bobbin Mill a few weeks ago - mudbath. Took the towing hook out of the boot - wrong thread. The car is one year old - had to find a towing point underneath.

Got home - I was going to get another one, when I found the original tucked away. Lord knows why it had two.

Is one longer than the other?

One for the front one for the back.

No - I had a spare one in the boot that I got for a mate - for an Astra. I hadn't given it to him and when I got stuck, I came across it first. I had forgotten all about it. Only dawned on me later. Must have been tucked in the emergency kit for a couple of months.

The Astra had a left handed thread, but far thinner - as Astras are a lot lighter than my motor.

TBH it would be a great use of a European standard making all new cars have the same thread.

If your car has one then I'd make sure you had it fitted in snowy weather. If you only have one for front and rear then buy a second one.

If you happened to skid on ice/snow, and unfortunately hit someone with a nice piece of metal protruding out of the front of your bumper ...

Think I'll fit mine if/when needed

If you wants to be a smarty and need a new one on the cheap find the tow point, take your car to the local industrial tool stockist, buy at least an 8.8 bolt better with 10.1 or stronger and then put it through a flat plate, weld onto the bolt, and then weld an eye to the head and plate

Cheap recovery point but for emergency use or short distances only………..